NU coaches: "Three spots left in the class"

There's grumbling that his commitment won't be accepted? Wait - who reported that he committed? (never mind, link here). It really does not sound like his commitment was not accepted, or else he just made a seriously premature announcement.

I would hesitate to mention Northwestern in the same sentence as Stanford, by the way. There are a select group of top caliber schools in the nation that are every bit as prestigious as the Ivy League schools, but Northwestern is not one of them. Maaaybe I'm wrong.

There's grumbling that his commitment won't be accepted? Wait - who reported that he committed?

I would hesitate to mention Northwestern in the same sentence as Stanford, by the way. There are a select group of top caliber schools in the nation that are every bit as prestigious as the Ivy League schools, but Northwestern is not one of them. Maaaybe I'm wrong.

The only spot that says Mobley is coming to NU is this Story: http://blogs.pe.com/news/digest/2010/01/ro...ey-to-atte.html. Mobley's HC told this blog that Harold is coming to NU. However from what I can glean, the NU Coaches either aren't aware that Mobley wants to commit, possible especially if the staff has cooled on him, or that this may be a sign and place. If it is the former, one has to wonder if they accept his commitment. If they project him as a TE or DE then maybe they don't.

There's grumbling that his commitment won't be accepted? Wait - who reported that he committed?

The only spot that says Mobley is coming to NU is this Story: http://blogs.pe.com/news/digest/2010/01/ro...ey-to-atte.html. Mobley's HC told this blog that Harold is coming to NU. However from what I can glean, the NU Coaches either aren't aware that Mobley wants to commit, possible especially if the staff has cooled on him, or that this may be a sign and place. If it is the former, one has to wonder if they accept his commitment. If they project him as a TE or DE then maybe they don't.

:yeah

Not sure if I would put Northwestern or Stanford in the Ivy League league ( ;) ), but I would say Northwestern and Stanford are on the same level as each other. Of course it depends on what discipline/major you are talking about, but as far as academic prestige goes, they are similar. Nebraska is a good two or three notches below those schools academically, sorry to say it.

Not sure if I would put Northwestern or Stanford in the Ivy League league ( ;) ), but I would say Northwestern and Stanford are on the same level as each other. Of course it depends on what discipline/major you are talking about, but as far as academic prestige goes, they are similar. Nebraska is a good two or three notches below those schools academically, sorry to say it.

Yeah I didn't mean to imply that they're Ivy League, but they're the closest thing to Ivy League status.

Yeah I didn't mean to imply that they're Ivy League, but they're the closest thing to Ivy League status.

Dont forget about West Virginia and their great academics :sarcasm:rollin

The Ivy League is just an athletic conference that consists of schools that happen to be old and prestigious.

Stanford is up there with any of them. I don't mean Dartmouth and Brown (no disrespect to these fine colleges). Stanford is in the same breath as Harvard, Yale, and Princeton. There's even an acronym people use sometimes when they talk about applying to the top colleges out of high school - HYPS. You can imagine what the 'S' stands for. Or HYPSM, where 'M' is MIT.

I don't mean to put down Northwestern and this isn't really related to UNL (which I acknowledge is farther down), but as far as prestige goes, that's how it stacks up I think. Northwestern may be a top school, but Stanford is one of the top schools. If we're going to put up other schools as "non-Ivy" Ivies, Northwestern is at least in the 2nd wave of schools to bring to the discussion. It may be higher up than I thought originally, but comparing it to Stanford just stuck out as odd to me...well, that's my take anyway. I won't be too contentious on this point :)

The Ivy League is just an athletic conference that consists of schools that happen to be old and prestigious.

Stanford is up there with any of them. I don't mean Dartmouth and Brown (no disrespect to these fine colleges). Stanford is in the same breath as Harvard, Yale, and Princeton. There's even an acronym people use sometimes when they talk about applying to the top colleges out of high school - HYPS. You can imagine what the 'S' stands for. Or HYPSM, where 'M' is MIT.

I don't mean to put down Northwestern and this isn't really related to UNL (which I acknowledge is farther down), but as far as prestige goes, that's how it stacks up I think. Northwestern may be a top school, but Stanford is one of the top schools. If we're going to put up other schools as "non-Ivy" Ivies, Northwestern is at least in the 2nd wave of schools to bring to the discussion. It may be higher up than I thought originally, but comparing it to Stanford just stuck out as odd to me...well, that's my take anyway. I won't be too contentious on this point :)

That's just the thing. Determining the prestige of a school is a fairly subjective thing. Contrary to what U.S. News & World Report would have us believe, it's just not as simple to quantify as ranking schools every year. The bottom line is the Ivys, Stanford and Northwestern are all top of the line schools that are among the very best our country has to offer. And (bringing it back to topic) they are clearly above UNL if academics is going to be a determining factor for Colter or anyone else. zoogies, I know you aren't arguing against this point. I just wanted to tie it back into the original discussion.

That's just the thing. Determining the prestige of a school is a fairly subjective thing. Contrary to what U.S. News & World Report would have us believe, it's just not as simple to quantify as ranking schools every year. The bottom line is the Ivys, Stanford and Northwestern are all top of the line schools that are among the very best our country has to offer. And (bringing it back to topic) they are clearly above UNL if academics is going to be a determining factor for Colter or anyone else. zoogies, I know you aren't arguing against this point. I just wanted to tie it back into the original discussion.

That was my point as well, in not so many words.

So it looks like we filled up two spots with Mobley and Bell committing today leaving one for Cooper and Owa. Its unlikely that Owa does commit but what if both of them want N how do you decide who to greyshirt or can we even accept both.

That is if the 3 spots the staff told the staff about included Cooper's spot. If they are holding a spot for Cooper, then I think it is possible they were saying how many spots they have on top of Cooper. If that is the case then there should be 2 more spots. Besides someone may not qualify.

I'll take whoever wants to be a Husker. If our coaches are giving you a scholarship, then I trust their judgment. I don't care about star ratings. Bring them in and let the coaches add the stars to them. All I ask is that the player brings his best attitude and a high drive to want to be a better football player. The rest will take care of itself.

Well I'm 32 and don't have any stars next to my name, but I'll change my last name to Cotton if it means getting a scholarship to play football from NU!

F ing A cotton.. F ing A !! :thumbs

So it looks like we filled up two spots with Mobley and Bell committing today leaving one for Cooper and Owa. Its unlikely that Owa does commit but what if both of them want N how do you decide who to greyshirt or can we even accept both.

I'm thinking maybe the Cotton offer was contingent on him willing to grey shirt. Just speculating, but that is one way to fill up your class without too much of a downside and you're not caught holding the bag in Feb.