The One thing We Could Really Use On our Pre-Conference Schedule

When the Big 12 was born we lost our great yearly game of the year. I can't blame Oklahoma for not wanting to play both Nebraska and Texas and have the outcome be part of their Conference record. I also envy Tex/Ok for the opportunity to play in such a great game year in and year out and I think it was even better when it also pitted two great conferences (The Big 8 and The SWC.) against each other. I could see the same type of rivalry being developed between Nebraska and Iowa. The States border on each other. The two teams are both long time members of big time conferences. This really seems like a no brainer to me and I can't figure out why it hasn't happened. There was a time when Iowa was a prennial loser but that ended when Hayden Fry took over the team in the late 70's or early 80's. I'd love to have this game played every year in mid to late September. A game we could look forward to as opposed to seeing another Sun Belt team come to Lincoln for a whuppin' and a pay check. What do you guys think?

T_O_B

:):dunno:):dunno:):dunno:):dunno:):dunno:):dunno:)

Are Nebraska fans that desperate that they have to find rivals?

I doubt the Iowa players think of Nebraska and I doubt Nebraska players even care about Iowa so what would be the incentive?

How would this help recruiting?

Coach -Come here because you can be in rivalry game with Iowa every year.

Recruit - Iowa?

Coach - Yes, Iowa the state right next to Nebraska.

Recruit - um coach I'm from Texas, california, Florida why would I care about Iowa?

Coach- I have no idea. <_<

I doubt the Iowa players think of Nebraska and I doubt Nebraska players even care about Iowa so what would be the incentive?

Recruit - Iowa?

Recruit - um coach I'm from Texas, california, Florida why would I care about Iowa?

:yeah

I can agree to a point but the big game of the year with Oklahoma was because it was the "Big Game of the Year " year after year. However it wasn't the big game of the year back in the early sixties. It came to be a rivalry game when both teams kept showing up rated at the top of the heap and the victors went to the Orange Bowl. The Sooners are today our rivals (notice the crowd) even though it isn't reciprocated as much as we would like. If Iowa and Nebraska were rated 1 and 2 ever year and played each other I could see something brewing but it would take a few decades to establish. It's sad losing that but then again losing 7 years in a row suck too!!! But that win was so sweet!

Recruit - Iowa?

When every game is reduced from a value in itself to simply a means to further recruiting interests, college football becomes boring and absurd.

A rivalry with Iowa would be natural, the fans would love it, and there could be some great games. If Iowa hangs around the top 20, it could even be a game of national interest.

Recruit - Iowa?

When every game is reduced from a value in itself to simply a means to further recruiting interests, college football becomes boring and absurd.

A rivalry with Iowa would be natural, the fans would love it, and there could be some great games. If Iowa hangs around the top 20, it could even be a game of national interest.

Sorry just because a few fans would find it exciting doesn't mean every Husker or Iowa fan would. I rather see Nebraska play UCLA, Penn State, Miami, Florida State and so on and so on.

Do you think Nebraska fans would be clamoring to play Missou every year if they all of a sudden bolted to the Big Ten? I doubt it and Nebraska has more of a grudge against them.

Like I said once or twice during a decade is enough.

Recruit - Iowa?

Sorry just because a few fans would find it exciting doesn't mean every Husker or Iowa fan would. I rather see Nebraska play UCLA, Penn State, Miami, Florida State and so on and so on.

Do you think Nebraska fans would be clamoring to play Missou every year if they all of a sudden bolted to the Big Ten? I doubt it and Nebraska has more of a grudge against them.

Like I said once or twice during a decade is enough.

That's fine. That's a completely valid argument (the match-up isn't exciting). I just don't like people basing everything on what it might or might not do for recruiting. I would love to see us play PSU or FSU as well.

Not necessairly "desperate" to find a "rival" RED, but what would be nice would be to have meaningful games, games that are more competitive than last years FAU, ASU and LLU and next years SDSU. These teams are basically lambs on their way to slaughter. As far as your recruiting argument I'd bet these kids like the idea of playing in competitive football games that mean something rather than taking the chance of getting hurt against a cupcake like what happened to Tommie in 1994. Coach - "Yes, young man we play a tough competitive schedule and therefore we recruit the best high school football players in the country. The University of Nebraska football staff thinks you are one of them. We also have two goals and only two goals every year, first to win the Big 12 Conference Championship and then win the National Championship. If you think you are one of the best then come play for the best."

T_O_B

:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez