Worst case scenario

If we lose out on Owa, Cooper and all the QB's, do we still try to fill up the class or save those unused schollies for next year?

I can't see the staff going into panic mode trying to fill up the class for the sake of filling up the class. Whether one, two or all three of those schollies go unused, then I'm gonna say the staff will save them for next year.

Thoughts?

If we lose out on Owa, Cooper and all the QB's, do we still try to fill up the class or save those unused schollies for next year?

I can't see the staff going into panic mode trying to fill up the class for the sake of filling up the class. Whether one, two or all three of those schollies go unused, then I'm gonna say the staff will save them for next year.

Thoughts?

Agreed, unless there are any other top notch recruits out there looking for a home, especially with all of the coaching changes taking place.

Thoughts?

Agreed, unless there are any other top notch recruits out there looking for a home, especially with all of the coaching changes taking place.

I wonder if there are any guys we'll be making late runs at other than the potential qb's that have been discussed.

Well technically I think there is only 1 spot open if you count Mitchell's Grey Shirt status. To say that NU would strike out on all of the following I think would be a stretch: Owa, Cooper, Carnes or Colter or the new QB option out of Texas, and Simek. I think NU gets at least 1 of those players. I consider it as looking at 4 options to fill the class and only 2-3 slots, a DE, S, QB, and O-Lineman. I know that NU is looking at 3 QB's, but really they are looking to take 1 out of 3 options and I think it is a safe bet that NU will get 1 of the 3 options so I consider it as 1 spot. Question is on top of the QB, what will NU take? Assuming Cooper still is on board, does that eliminate Simek? I would think that the Coaches have a plan to take both Cooper and Simek, there is one slot open for sure and I am sure that other grey shirts are possible to free another one. If Owa wants in, well they make room I am sure. Question is how they do it.

If we dont end up filling the spots Mitchell might not be asked to greyshirt after all.

I think that you have to save them though and just take 18 this year and call it good. You never know who could want N next year with all the top notch kids that we stand to get.

Well technically I think there is only 1 spot open if you count Mitchell's Grey Shirt status. To say that NU would strike out on all of the following I think would be a stretch: Owa, Cooper, Carnes or Colter or the new QB option out of Texas, and Simek. I think NU gets at least 1 of those players. I consider it as looking at 4 options to fill the class and only 2-3 slots, a DE, S, QB, and O-Lineman. I know that NU is looking at 3 QB's, but really they are looking to take 1 out of 3 options and I think it is a safe bet that NU will get 1 of the 3 options so I consider it as 1 spot. Question is on top of the QB, what will NU take? Assuming Cooper still is on board, does that eliminate Simek? I would think that the Coaches have a plan to take both Cooper and Simek, there is one slot open for sure and I am sure that other grey shirts are possible to free another one. If Owa wants in, well they make room I am sure. Question is how they do it.

:yeah

I don't think you usually "save" scholarships. As noted, grey shirts would no longer be grey shirts and perhaps a deserving walk on gets a scholarship.

Also last year there were a few guys who were highly rated who did not sign with the school they committed to and were looking around in March or April.

Add in possible transfers and I don't think we would technically have scholarships sitting open.

I don't think you usually "save" scholarships. As noted, grey shirts would no longer be grey shirts and perhaps a deserving walk on gets a scholarship.

Also last year there were a few guys who were highly rated who did not sign with the school they committed to and were looking around in March or April.

Add in possible transfers and I don't think we would technically have scholarships sitting open.

Agreed. I doubt any "open" schollies from this year end up being available for next. Additional schollies for next year will likely come from the inevitable transfers, kicked off team, not making grades, injuries, etc.

I doubt any "open" schollies from this year end up being available for next.

Actually, if you give it to a junior walk-on this year, then the scholly is freed by the next recruiting class (like Koehler this year).

Good point. Same for the 3 JUCO's that we have coming in.

Well Hardrick and David will be on the team at least 2 years and Harper will be on the team 3 years.

I have a feeling that we will push hard to get a QB regardless, and that the staff will be very disappointed if, for some reason, it doesn't happen.

With Owa, he's a tremendous player who would be a great bonus if we got him. Not a pressing need but recruits of his caliber often aren't.

With Cooper, we have a real talent at a real position of need. We are saving a spot for him if he decides to come on board, but I don't think there are backup options - so it's something that, despite the need at safety, it would be acceptable to not get anyone. Cooper or bust.

At QB, though, we have a need that IMO is more than pressing. And I think we've seen that the staff has been scrambling to find targets at this position. No doubt the guy we take will be an intriguing and talented prospect, but here I think we are really trying to get an acceptable player no matter what.

Between Carnes, Colter, Fajardo, and Godfrey; I am confident that we will sign a QB in this class. I wouldn't mind the coaches taking two of these guys and making one a safety if they have a bad vibe about Cooper. Looking at our projected depth chart 3 years out, safety is our biggest need right now. I also wouldn't be surprised at a visit and commit in the last two weeks from someone who either hasn't been talked about or who has long been forgotten. Eric Martin didn't visit until 1/26 and didn't commit until 2/1.