Does Bo Deserve a Pay Raise?

Pay Raise for Bo?  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I wish you guys were my employers! You guys are generous with the raises!

Nobody but the execs at my company have had any raises for several years now...so I can empathize with your sentiments there DJR. <_<

Me too, i work for a well known bank and the only people who got raises last year were the fat cats. I hate The Man! :steam

When the university is pretty sure that he is to be the coach of our future, I would give him a pay raise that put him in the upper tier of B12 coaches. With that pay raise comes the realization that Nebraska also expects the level of success that goes with the pay scale. We've been in the wilderness for a long time and certainly don't want to be relegated back to the wilderness over something as "small" (in big picture terms) as a million bucks. As soon as he is "our guy," we need to take pay out of the equation. If we expect an elite program that is always in and around the Top 10, then we'd better expect to pay our coaching staff accordingly. It just isn't worth the setback in years if we lost our coach--even if the next guy was a perfect hire.

I know that the jury is still out on him, but the verdict is looking pretty good. When we're sure (hopefully soon), let's pay him enough to keep him here and work out a buyout that we can live with. While we may all think that money isn't much to Pelini, to be proven wrong could be disasterous to our return to the elite. I'd rather not take that chance by even having it be part of the equation.

If the guy performs, pay him. If you don't pay him, don't cry when he leaves for someone who will appreciate his value to their organization.

Bo's salary should remain competitive in the Big XII. If he starts winning it on a regular basis then he should be among the highest-paid coaches in the conference.

I think it's unwise to try to get into a tit-for-tat situation with Texas or Oklahoma. They pay way more than we would, or should.

Bo didn't walk into this gig unaware of our pay scale at Nebraska. He knows where he stands, and what his ceiling is. He isn't about to throw a fit over cash.

I agree. So far he's proven to be an effective coach, but it's only been 2 years. Once he wins a championship (Big XII or more) then you give him a big raise. For now, just keep his salary competitive along with the assistants that are deserving (like Carl this year). As Newearth said, do we reduce his pay for losing?

I don't really know how much money they are paying him anyway. I know its not as much as we would like to since we are still making up for the contract buyout of Callahan/Peterson.

I hope the raise discussion isn't being brought up because of the coaching changes going on between NFL and NCAA.

Here I am, bringing up the Tigers again...but...

I really love what they did with Dabo's contract. He has about an $800,000 base salary, and then huge incentives. Incentive for going to ACCCG, incentive for winning ACCCG, incentive for 9 wins, incentive for 10 wins, incentive for 11 wins, HUGE incentive for National championship, incentive for bowl wins.

It really pushes him to do more after we settled with paying Tommy Bowden to do nothing.

I guess given that we are in fact in reality, which is less than ideal (I think all coaches get paid more than they deserve, but I digress), relativity is what is important in determining what Bo deserves I guess. 1.8mil with incentives for championships (which Bo self-reportedly all about) seems about right to me, based on the combination of his success so far and the direction the program is going.

On a side note, how absolutely refreshing is it to have a head coach who is here because he wants to be here, and because he loves Nebraska, not because he wants a high paying job? Brings a smile to my face every time I think about it, but then a frown when I think of how many coaches are only in it for the money.

I guess given that we are in fact in reality, which is less than ideal (I think all coaches get paid more than they deserve, but I digress), relativity is what is important in determining what Bo deserves I guess. 1.8mil with incentives for championships (which Bo self-reportedly all about) seems about right to me, based on the combination of his success so far and the direction the program is going.

On a side note, how absolutely refreshing is it to have a head coach who is here because he wants to be here, and because he loves Nebraska, not because he wants a high paying job? Brings a smile to my face every time I think about it, but then a frown when I think of how many coaches are only in it for the money.

I think Bo is here because he likes NU, but also he wanted to be a head coach. I do not think most coaches coach only because of the money, but I think where they coach is only because of the money (and probably prestige or the status of the program).

Mac Brown getting $5 mil is crazy. he is not near the coach as is Saban or Meyer and some others. he gets a top recruiting class every year, but he and his coaches can't develop players as well as they should, they live more on raw talent than coaching. Bo has been rewarded the old fashioned way.."he has EARNED it!"

Bo didn't walk into this gig unaware of our pay scale at Nebraska. He knows where he stands, and what his ceiling is. He isn't about to throw a fit over cash.

You are mistaken if you think/believe NU can't pay, if and when necessary. NU has not ever needed to pay that way, so far. It had Osborne, who wasn't a money grubler, then Solich, then Clownahan, who never could win enough to get paid and was fifty times overpaid as it was. Now, NU has Bo, when he wins a championship, he will see the big jack. It appears as though Bo is not all about the money. Hell, if he has watched his money over the past 15 years, he is probably already set for life. If it comes down to the cash NU can and probably will pay. NU has competant leaders in charge.