From a young OL scout team player

EZ-E

"Crick will be better than Suh when it is all said and done. He is already more explosive off the ball. The only thing that Suh does better is use his hands."

"Jamarcus Hardrick will start from day one. Kid is a beast."

The bolded part is important. Even if Suh is "only" better at using his hands, that may still make him a better player than Crick. As others have said, it is very unlikely Crick is even equal to Suh let alone better. Anything is possible, but this reminds me of fans who expected Frost to be better than Tommie Frazier. Frost ended up being a tremendous QB, but few would say he was equal to or better than Tommie.

I completely agree. Crick is going to be a good one no doubt. People are already having unrealistic expectations on him. Many will agree that Suh may have been our best DT ever. How can people expect Crick to be as good as that or better? My biggest concern is who is going to fill in Crick's old role as second to Suh? Who is going to step up and be as good as Crick was in 09??

People seem to forget about Steinkuhler. This kid was a 5 star recruit out of high school and has tremendous strength and ability. I know, i know the 5 stars dont mean anything but they certainly dont point to him being a slouch. From the little bit i saw Steiny sub in this year he was very good and I personally think he would have started for alot of Div 1 schools this year except we had an exceptionally talented line. Baker will step in and assume Cricks role of this year. I am going to bet these guys are going to be a very good tandem. Prolly not as good as Crick/Suh but still very good and with the talent and depth upgrades across the board this defense is going to be very good for a long time.

"Crick will be better than Suh when it is all said and done. He is already more explosive off the ball. The only thing that Suh does better is use his hands."

The bolded part is important. Even if Suh is "only" better at using his hands, that may still make him a better player than Crick. As others have said, it is very unlikely Crick is even equal to Suh let alone better. Anything is possible, but this reminds me of fans who expected Frost to be better than Tommie Frazier. Frost ended up being a tremendous QB, but few would say he was equal to or better than Tommie.

I completely agree. Crick is going to be a good one no doubt. People are already having unrealistic expectations on him. Many will agree that Suh may have been our best DT ever. How can people expect Crick to be as good as that or better? My biggest concern is who is going to fill in Crick's old role as second to Suh? Who is going to step up and be as good as Crick was in 09??

People seem to forget about Steinkuhler. This kid was a 5 star recruit out of high school and has tremendous strength and ability. I know, i know the 5 stars dont mean anything but they certainly dont point to him being a slouch. From the little bit i saw Steiny sub in this year he was very good and I personally think he would have started for alot of Div 1 schools this year except we had an exceptionally talented line. Baker will step in and assume Cricks role of this year. I am going to bet these guys are going to be a very good tandem. Prolly not as good as Crick/Suh but still very good and with the talent and depth upgrades across the board this defense is going to be very good for a long time.

:yeah

I made a thread last month with the expectation that Steiny would be to Crick, what Crick was to Suh. FWIW, Crick was quoted as saying that Steiny was a better player as a Freshman than Crick was as a Freshman. Crick also said he's very comfortable with Steiny's ability to fill his role next season.

Hmmmm. I remain skeptical.

Being explosive in practice is respectable, however I do not see Crick being as good as Suh, regardless of the athletic difference.

Crick may be more explosive, stronger, faster, whatever. But he does not have the intangibles that Suh had. Suh had that relentless work ethic that allowed him to win games almost single-handedly. Tebow has it as well. Those are the only two players I have seen this year with that intangible ability around them. Crick will have an excellent career, but I doubt he will develop that aspect of his game. It is very rare to see, especially two in one season.

How many thought Suh would have those intangibles after his sophmore year? It's hard to say if Crick will develop the same intangibles as Suh, but I'd be willing to guess he'll develop his own intangibles that will make him a special player in his own right.

exactly, Suh never became a true beast, until his senior year. give Crick another year and stop the silly comparisions.

EZ-E did you post this on HI?? Or did you just take this from the guy who posted this on HI? Just wondering, some guys don't use the same name on both sites.

Never post on HI but I do read it a bunch. Should have sited HI for it which I will go back and do now.

One more thing regarding the original post. How does this young scout team OL know that Hardrick is such a beast? He is just now on campus and the only thing they are doing right now is training under Dobson. Is this OL player projecting Hardrick's starting position just based on how much he can bench or squat? It's not like he has actually seen him play other than possibly on film . . .

“The only thing he does better is use his hands?”

This is really hard for me to believe. Suh at various point in the season led this defense in almost every category. That included passes break ups.

Most great DT are defined by one of two things either they clog holes on run or they get in the backfield on passes. Most run stopping DT do not have the stamina to stay in the game on 3rd and long and be an asset. Suh never missed downs. Not only was he strong enough take on double and triple team he was fast enough to chase down RB and QB when they broke contain. How many tackles did Suh have this season chasing down players down field early in the season?

He was not as dominate his JR year as his SR year, but he was dominate. Remember we spent the off season and the beginning of this season trying to convince of his brilliance based on what he showed at end of last season . As an earlier person said Crick will have the opportunity to prove his worth next year without Suh. The staff, current players, and fans are hyping him to be the second coming. I will respectfully pass on that bowl of Kool-Aid until I see it live.

One more thing regarding the original post. How does this young scout team OL know that Hardrick is such a beast? He is just now on campus and the only thing they are doing right now is training under Dobson. Is this OL player projecting Hardrick's starting position just based on how much he can bench or squat? It's not like he has actually seen him play other than possibly on film . . .

This is a good point. I've been excited since Hardrick committed about the prospect of him blocking the sun out at LT, but I can't see how the scout team would have ANY idea how good he really is. Hopefully he does live up to the hype.

I have high hopes for Crick, but come on people, Suh was one of a kind player. Attitude, toughness and motor were all top notch. I like Crick, but he is no 93.

yeah, but he's 94.

+1.

At any rated I'm kinda excited about our DTs. I kinda figured Baker would be the next top DT. Now it's interesting.

Crick has an amazing work ethic, he really blew up in the coaches eyes in the offseason after the 2008 season. Carl and others have mentioned how they were surprised, and pleased, at how much bigger and stronger Crick was going into Spring Ball this year. Carl mentioned it again in an article in the LJS the other day. The article was talking about whether or not Baker can be Crick's Crick and what Baker will need to do to get there. Carl said that Baker is pretty good now, but that he needs an off season like Crick had to elevate to the next level. He discussed how he had a conversation with Baker about what he needs to do and how he needs to emulate Jared's unbelievable work ethic.

I think I'm going to be very tired of the Crick is going to be the next Suh talk. Honestly, it sounds ridiculous. I think Crick will be a very good player. Suh was great/elite.

It reminds me of the "Zac Lee will make everyone forget about Joe Ganz" talk that I fought all last year . . . except this one is even more implausible.

The reality of the situation is that we will almost certainly take a step back on the DL next year.

except crick has already played at a level near suhs....... and is clearly a better player then suh was as a sophmore(its not even remotely close) trust me.... I'm skeptical too, but its not like these claims are totally unfounded

How many times did we here that Suh is a once-in-a-lifetime player this year? Now we already have a guy that is better?

Come on. I love Crick but to say he will be better than the best defensive player in the last decade is sticking your neck out......just a little don't you think?

keep in mind they were saying similar things about dorsey.... now what do those 2 have in common? I see a pattern. As for those saying that cricks upside is less than Suhs......... if we are judging on upside then baker will be suh 2.0. bigger, stronger, faster. time will tell with these guys.... and injuries will obviously play into account as well.

If I have learned anything over the last 2 years its to never doubt what pelini can do with these kids.