Biggest Rival?

Biggest Rival?  

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted Mizzou for the time being. I think rivalries are fluid and can wax and wane, and right now I think NU and MU will be fighting it out for the North for the next few years.

Our 'relationship' with CU is more of a big brother (us) beating up on a younger brother (CU) type of a thing, which is, unfortunately, how OU generally sees their relationship with NU. I respect the classic OU/NU matchup, but I think it's hard to have a good rivalry when you play a team in two year spurts like w/the south teams. OU sees UT as their main rival, and we are on the outside looking in.

Once we start playing UT or OU every year in the CCG, we can make one of them our main rivals! :koolaid2:

I would've voted for OU but with the addition to the Big 12 that rivalry has diminished and we play them every year like we used too. When I think of Rival I think of Notre Dame/USC, Ohio State/Michigan, Kansas/Mizzou, Navy/Army because they play each other every year and has been a rivarly for decades.

Right now I would have to say its Mizzou. Lets see we've lost 2 QB's to Mizzou and Mizzou have had that cockyness when they play us for most of this decade and we play for the Victory Bell. The Missouri/Nebraska rival is the 2nd oldest in the Big 12 and the 3rd oldest west of the Mississippi River.

• Fire 1

It is hard to consider anyone a rival unless you play them every year. That means, to me anyway, that we are limited to Big 12 north teams. Since none of them have separated themselves from the pack enough to challenge year in and year out, it is hard to designate anyone with that moniker. Hopefully, that lack of anyone "stepping up" will leave us alone at the top for years to come. Unlike the majority of this board, I prefer the rest of the B12N teams to struggle. This leaves us with an edge in B12N recruiting territory and should put us in the Big 12 CCG most years. Playing in a weak conference never hurt our reputation when we were in the Big 8 and waited each year to play OU to have a tough conference game. Many of those years it would end up with one of us being #1 and the other #2, without either of us being challenged along the way. If we need a tough game or two, we could ramp up the non-conference schedule. If I had superpowers, I would put us in the CCG against whichever of OU or UT that we didn't play during the regular season, thereby playing each of those two teams every year. Then we could develop some serious rivals. :laughpound

Those of you that still consider OU a rival need to move on. We don't play them every single season so how can they be considered a rival? :dunno

:yeah

I wish it were Oklahoma, but no way since we don't play them every year.

By default it must be Missouri. I just wish I could respect them like I do Oklahoma

Those of you that still consider OU a rival need to move on. We don't play them every single season so how can they be considered a rival? dunno.gif

yeah.gif

I wish it were Oklahoma, but no way since we don't play them every year.

By default it must be Missouri. I just wish I could respect them like I do Oklahoma

yeah.gif

In the immortal words of Slim Pickens, "Where in the Wide Wide World of Sports"...does it say we have to play someone every year to consider them a "rival"?

I even consider Miami more of a rival than pretty much any B12 North team..No offense to our conference Brothers (And I DO consider them more like brothers than rivals...except OU and UT)..But it takes more than one bitter loss ~32 years ago for me to consider Missery much of a Rival.

CU and the two Kansas schools have won a few more against us recently than we were used to, but none of the games were "nailbiters" or hardly ever in doubt on the last series or few of the game...maybe one or two against CU, so they probably have come the closest of the Norse Division :dunno. but just because we take an alternating couple years off from playing OU doesn't mean that the times we do play them won't have me on the edge of my seat and not taking a deep breath for 5 hours durring the game...to tide me over until the next time.

No one else even comes close to doing that.

Here's where I feel an obligation to CY to say something nice about ISU...Like... :dunno

They can and do beat us every dozen or so games, and mannage to steal a few Omaha kids every other year.

But "Rival"????

:rant

Well, there are different kinds of rivalries. FSU and PSU hardly play, but their respective coaches have a bit of a rivalry thing going on, for example. But for the kind of rivalry we are talking about, it's kind of really hard to maintain the feel of a rivalry when we go 2 years without playing each other, every 2 years.

It's important.

Well, there are different kinds of rivalries. FSU and PSU hardly play, but their respective coaches have a bit of a rivalry thing going on, for example. But for the kind of rivalry we are talking about, it's kind of really hard to maintain the feel of a rivalry when we go 2 years without playing each other, every 2 years.

It's important.

Maybe to our Transfers or Jucos...But to us Fans? There's no way we should have that short of an attention span...

Unless...The Madden Football type games really ARE having that effect on our Youth...Even so..They of all people should be able to play the games every day if they need to...in the Virtual World.

dogwizz.gif

I think it depends on how old you are. For me, OU will always be the rival that I think of when it comes to Nebraska football. The younger fans have a different thought process when asked this same question. It all comes down to which other Big 12 North team they dislike the most.

I was thinking along those lines as well.

It's hard to fully appreciate an "Honest to Goodness Rootin' Tootin' Rivalry" If you never experienced the "Game of the Century" where you just knew the last team with the ball was going to win..Or the first seven tries it took Ozzy to finally overcome Barry's "Sooner Magic"...Where we often played our best game of the season..led by a couple of TDs with less than two minutes to play, and somehow lost anyway...Or loving to hate "the Boz".

I married into another pretty decent Rivalry..(tOSU vs. Meechicken), and tried my best to stay out of the ASU/UA thing that happens every year out in these parts.

One thing that always seems to ring true in all these "legitimate" rivalries..

If you only beat that particular team and lose the rest, it's still considered a good season...And if you win them all but the one against that one opponent, WELL..There's always next year (Hopefully).

Oh yeah...you can also throw out the the previous record..There's pretty much no predicting the outcome.

That is a Rival.

blowup1.gifflammable.gifdespo.gifDog_and_cat_2.gifpeeonu.gifsling.gif

It's important.

Maybe to our Transfers or Jucos...But to us Fans? There's no way we should have that short of an attention span...

Unless...The Madden Football type games really ARE having that effect on our Youth...Even so..They of all people should be able to play the games every day if they need to...in the Virtual World.

dogwizz.gif

Haha - well, I mean. I understand the importance of the NU-OU rivalry and I always look forward to a classic battle with the Sooners.

But then we keep going 2 years without meeting them! There's nothing "new" about the rivalry. By the time we roll into OU again, it's two whole different squads and the previous 2 meetings are a fading memories. Whereas, when we go face CU every year on Thanksgiving, we can always think back to the previous year's matchup and remember the joys or torments that were a part of it. Like "We'd better kick their asses this time after what they did to us last year".

I mean, it's just really frustrating, even from a fan's standpoint, when the rivalry just takes these hiatuses all the time. Of course we don't forget it exists, but the fact that it has 2-year stretches where it's not really relevant to anything, hurts it, IMO. The rivalry is based, after all, not on yearly accomplishments that we can always compare, but on the head-to-head matchups.

If we NEVER played Oklahoma regularly and our only shot to meet them was in a bowl game, would it still be a rivalry? Certainly not of the same magnitude. This is a less severe case of that, IMO.