Big 10+1 expansion

huKSer

Heard this discussed on KC radio - quoted some writer in Ohio, I think. I did a search but couldn't find a link so....

The proposal is Big 10+1 adds THREE teams - Nebraska (for football), Kansas (for basketball) and Missouri (for TV sets). Being KC radio - Kansas is added to keep the Border War going and NU makes it an even number.

I would personally like to the status quo, if the Big 12 fixes the revenue sharing

Thoughts?

I think Nebraska leaving for a the lil 11 is a bad idea. there is no way we could keep our recruting ties in texas. we would be starting over in a new recruiting area where the major players already have a frim hold over the area. But if i was nebraska i would entertain the offer in front of the big 12 and see if we can change some things to make the big 12 more even. if Nebraska left the big 12 confrence would hurt because it would be a two team confrence in UT and OU. I think Nebraska has the Leverage in making some things change if the "entertain" the idea of bolting for the lil 11.

I'd be surprised to see the Big 'leven take Nebraska, but if we had the opportunity we should grab it. The revenue is much greater and is equally shared, but more than that, it cements a place for Nebraska in a stable conference that's not going anywhere.

The Big 12 will always be hostage to Texas, will always let Texas have their way on revenue distribution and worse, on a Big 12 network. Texas has always blocked any effort towards a Big 12 network because they are planning a "TEXAS" network to keep the money to themselves. Whether that is viable or not isn't the point. Texas being a greedy, short-sighted school that would abandon anyone and anything for a little more money and being unable to recognize that a strong conference requires several strong teams.

Nebraska would be better off in the long run in just about any arrangement that doesn't include Texas. But, I doubt we'll see it happen. Texas will stay in the Big 12 exactly as long as we let them keep most of the money and TV exposure to themselves. If that ever changes, they'll be gone to any group that offers more money/exposure. They can't help it, it's what they are.

:boxosoap:hookerhorns

Sorry about the rant. Didn't mean to hijack the thread away from the 3 team idea.

I saw that rumor also and think it would be great. We'd get to keep our 2 oldest rivals, increase revenue and play in a great new conference. I see a WESTERN DIVISION of Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois. Or maybe a SOUTHERN DIVISION of Nebraska, Kansas, Missori, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State, Penn State. Take it if it's offered, Perlman.

Seriously, If the Big Ten does expand, I think it will be by adding Texas. They don't really care about geography and since they can't have Notre Dame, Texas is the next biggest thing. I'm just not sure if Texas would go for it, since it would mean sharing revenue evenly. ;)

I'd be surprised to see the Big 'leven take Nebraska, but if we had the opportunity we should grab it. The revenue is much greater and is equally shared, but more than that, it cements a place for Nebraska in a stable conference that's not going anywhere.

The Big 12 will always be hostage to Texas, will always let Texas have their way on revenue distribution and worse, on a Big 12 network. Texas has always blocked any effort towards a Big 12 network because they are planning a "TEXAS" network to keep the money to themselves. Whether that is viable or not isn't the point. Texas being a greedy, short-sighted school that would abandon anyone and anything for a little more money and being unable to recognize that a strong conference requires several strong teams.

Nebraska would be better off in the long run in just about any arrangement that doesn't include Texas. But, I doubt we'll see it happen. Texas will stay in the Big 12 exactly as long as we let them keep most of the money and TV exposure to themselves. If that ever changes, they'll be gone to any group that offers more money/exposure. They can't help it, it's what they are.

:boxosoap:hookerhorns

For better or worse, Nebraska is tied at the hip with the Texas-dominated-corporate-culture of the Big 12 league. It is intriguing to consider the NU-KU-MU trifecta to the Big 10/11, though. Especially if the Big 10/11 goes SUPER CONFERENCE with 16 teams, adding a UConn and either Rutgers or Pitt. Imagine a mega-$$$ league with 2 eight-team divisions might lead Texas to go independent, if the Big 16 were to actually happen (which it won't, IMHO).

so what happens to the big 12???

This doesnt happen. Big ten would get ND before NU, KU, MU

:yeah

I was listening to USC yesterday and they were talking about this and I can't remember who their guest was at the time but they basically said that if ND doesn't join the Big 10 that the Big 10 won't expand to 12 teams altogether.

Didn't we just talk about this? It's the offseason so we can hash it out again. I don't think you'll ever see NU end up in the little 11. We have no reason to leave the Big XII now, so what would be the benefit? I don't ever see ND going to a conference until their deal changes that they have right now. I guess I will agree that the little 11 seems to get more television time than the Big XII, but it helps when they have their own channel.

haha "little eleven" whats with all the hate towards the big 10+1? I have no hate towards the big 10, that being said id still prefer to be in the big 12 because texas, oklahoma big time rivals and losing those games would suck! I believe if/when the big 10 expands it will be to either welcome Notre Dame or Pittsburgh to the conference.

here is a really good article on big 10 expansion and it actually lists Nebraska as a top 8 school the big 10 would look at for expansion

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/330259-242-possibilities-1-real-chance-for-big-ten-expansion-hint-not-nd

The Big Ten has offered ND in the past and they turned it down. I also heard that ND has already said they are not interested in the latest rumblings of the Big Ten expansion.

I think it would be pretty cool to play against Iowa and Wisconsin and against Traditional Powers like Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, year in and year out. It sure beats playing Iowa State, Colorado, and K-State.

Plus if they bring in Mizzu and Kansas you still maintain the border rivalry with them. If that happened the Big Ten could be a very exciting conference.

But like someone already mention we would loose our recruiting pipeline in Texas. Which would definitely hurt our recruiting.

Didn't we just talk about this? It's the offseason so we can hash it out again. I don't think you'll ever see NU end up in the little 11. We have no reason to leave the Big XII now, so what would be the benefit? I don't ever see ND going to a conference until their deal changes that they have right now. I guess I will agree that the little 11 seems to get more television time than the Big XII, but it helps when they have their own channel.

All the other threads that i remember talked about what one team would/should join little 11. This was the first proposal that grouped NU, KU and MU together. I was just thinking about reactions to this.

I would really hate to leave the Big XII. As much as I hate dealing with Texas and how much pull they have, the Little 11 is a joke! There would have to be more than just one to team help that conference become a strong. I think they should go after Pitt and UCONN. That would put a lot of pressure on Penn State and they would help the conference out. There was an interesting article on ESPN....link that explains the future of the Big XII. Some seems to be a bit out there, but very interesting read none the less.

I would really hate to leave the Big XII. As much as I hate dealing with Texas and how much pull they have, the Little 11 is a joke! There would have to be more than just one to team help that conference become a strong. I think they should go after Pitt and UCONN. That would put a lot of pressure on Penn State and they would help the conference out. There was an interesting article on ESPN....link that explains the future of the Big XII. Some seems to be a bit out there, but very interesting read none the less.

The Big Ten had a pretty good year as a conference this year! And lets face it, the Big XII North is turning into a joke, and according to that article if MU left we are stuck with what KU, ISU, KSU, Col, and Ok State, not that I think any of that stuff in that article will happen. If Neb doesn't make the jump to Big Ten, it would be nice to see some realignment in the Big XII, but I'd rather see Oklahoma in our Division, so the annual rivalry is renewed.

Ohio State 11-2 (Bowl win over Oregan)

PSU 11-2 (Bowl win over LSU)

Iowa 11-2 (Bowl win over Georgia Tech)

Wisconsin 10-3 (Bowl win over Miami)