Who is your Favorite husker QB?

My favorite Qb is Eric Crouch. I kind of live in the past and Im always looking for eric crouch videos to watch. I was really upset when Nebraska lost the 2001 Rose Bowl. I really wanted to see Eric Crouch complete his dream and win that Nationalchampionship. I took me awhile to get over that one =/ We will never see anyone run the option as well as him ever again in my opinion he is the best running Qb/Option Qb of all time.

Crouch was no doubt a stud and I love to watch him play....running over the db from Iowa was epic and his 80 yd run vs Mizzou was one of best of all time, but I still don't think he is in Tommie's league. Tommie was magical. Didn't throw well, but good enough. So many highlight runs, topped off by breaking 100000000 tackles on the run vs Florida. I used to get sooo pumped to watch him turn upfield on the option, run 25 yds, get tackled and get up and spin around and dance. You just knew that when that happened, Tommie was in the zone, and good things were going to happen. He also should have won the Heisman. His record speaks for itself.

If we're going by win/loss records then wouldn't Berringer be #1? I mean he never lost a game ever that he started. If you really enjoyed watching the QB run the ball, then Crouch and Lord were your guys. However, neither of these QB's had the RB's that Frazier and Berringer and even Frost enjoyed. If you enjoyed watching a QB simply crush and seek out defenders to run over, then Frost would have to be your QB. If you're after probably the best field generals, then I'd have to say Frazier would be your guy. Really, it just comes down to what you as an individual see as the greatest aspects to being a QB.

Berringer is my favorite. Met the guy in person as a kid. CLASS ACT, THE classiest of the players i have had the privelege of meeting. I did like Jamal Lord too. Everyone talks about how bad he was, but i say to this day, give him the O-line and backs that Frazier, Frost and Crouch had, and he's winning a Heisman. He had great running ability even tho he struggled to throw the ball, which was more exposed cuz his career was a heck of a lot more highlighted by losses than the other three.

I loved Tommie Frazier as our quarterback. But to me, it has to be Eric Crouch as my favorite. A few things to mention:

While I loved Frazier, he was behind a stacked offensive line, a stacked backfield, and very good downfield blocking receivers. He threw the ball good enough to be a dual threat quarterback, and had INSANE ability to lead an offense, to put fear into the defense, and the BIGGEST BIG GAME quarterback of all time, with his record and THREE National Championship MVP awards.

But, I think Crouch is the greatest ever to run the option, and to play at Nebraska under center. Yes, he gets the reputation of being a "prima donna" and a "ball hog" but lets face it. Crouch WAS Nebraska from 1998-2001 seasons. Who else was the go to guy? Dan Alexander? David Horne? Thunder Collins? DeAntae Grixby? Dahrran Diedrick? It was Crouch, he was the offense, the offense was built for him and around him to have success. And he threw the ball "pretty well" for a Nebraska quarterback as he ended with over 3,000 rushing yards and 4,000 PASSING yards under that offense.

If you look at old tapes, we even ran a little "Spread Option" with him that some teams kind of run to this day. Not too bad for an "outdated offense" I have never seen someone so quick to get up to top notch speed, and then to juke defenders out while at top speed. (Chris Johnson from the Tennessee Titans is the best at this (Go Titans!), but we are talking about a quarterback from Nebraska, not a running back)

Everytime we ran the option, and I loved it, Crouch was always going vertical. Trying to get up-field, to cut it inside, or break it to the outside with his speed or a pitch. He was one of those you "hold your breath every time he has the ball because something magical could happen". Frazier, while a very good dual threat quarterback, didn't have the acceleration nor the top notch speed/agility that Crouch had.

Now a days you see guys run the option sideline to sideline. I know we don't run it as our base offense anymore, but when Zac Lee or Cody Green run the option from the Ace Formation, they just go to the sidelines, no speed, not trying to get upfield, not trying to get a defender to commit one way or another. And it's not their fault, they don't practice that type of option nor put in the time to work on it or pitch the ball, which is why when we run it (as of now) I cringe because we don't practice it enough to be a weapon, and they don't try to get up-field or make a defender commit one way or another.

Once the defender locked onto the running back, Crouch made his move up field inside. Once the defender made a lock onto Crouch, usually Crouch could still beat him with one juke, a late pitch down field, or even a FAKE PITCH (yes, caps, it's that deceiving and dramatic). If you want to run the option, you watch how he ran it, as he was always going vertical, going up-field, get as many yards as quickly as possible. Yes, it helped he was an amazing athlete and speedster, but that's the carbon copy of how to run it. Even when I watch Fraizer run the option now, he doesn't nearly go as vertical as Crouch, he goes more sidelines, but we had great offensive lines during his time too.

Could you imagine Crouch with the 93,94,95,96,97 offense? Wow, our rushing attack would be two times better with him under center with that backfield and the line that Frazier had up-front. It's too bad he didn't win a National Championship while he was here and it ended on somewhat of a sour note, but he still had an amazing career, and showed how to really run an option based offense.

No disrespect to Frazier, I loved him as our quarterback as well and am glad he brought us two national championships (almost three) and was a heck of a leader, but Crouch took it to another level when he was out there if we are talking about playing style.

• Fire 5

Jerry Tagge was my favorite. 2 MNCs, one of which was while I was in Vietnam. Talk about a link to the real world, man, those Huskers were big stuff.

Frazier was the best, probably, not the best passer or the best runner, but the best leader, and the best winner. Really got screwed in the Heisman in 95. Eddie George? please. :facepalm:

Turner Gill was the smoothest, and very close to Frazier overall. Better passer, not as hardnosed as a runner. Great leader.

Scott Frost was my favorite style. Power and speed and toughness and "I will not lose" attitude. Loved watching him run the ball.

Jerry Tagge was my favorite. 2 MNCs, one of which was while I was in Vietnam. Talk about a link to the real world, man, those Huskers were big stuff.

Frazier was the best, probably, not the best passer or the best runner, but the best leader, and the best winner. Really got screwed in the Heisman in 95. Eddie George? please. :facepalm:

Turner Gill was the smoothest, and very close to Frazier overall. Better passer, not as hardnosed as a runner. Great leader.

Scott Frost was my favorite style. Power and speed and toughness and "I will not lose" attitude. Loved watching him run the ball.

Agree on all points.

And thanks for your service in Vietnam.

As much as I loved Touchdown Tommie, gotta go with Frost. The block he threw against A&M and the other game that year where he got a late hit, out-of-bounds penalty for slamming the guy on the sideline after he threw an interception were golden. Also, he could run the Option pretty well (specifically the 1997 Washington game comes to mind).