Who left the biggest black eye on the Program?

180 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Pederson and Callahan were simply incompetent. Every program has had to deal with that and it's not a big deal, it just makes you lose a few games. Guys like Phillips and Collins are entirely different. They make the program look guilty by association to a lot of people. That kind of association is very hard to overcome. It takes a whole bunch of good people a very long time.

So, with all due respect to the horrible jobs done by SP and BC, the evil guys are worse for the program. Of those 2, Collins is just a gangster. An inept gangster apparently, but just a gangster none the less. Phillips, on the other hand, is a mean ugly-spirited excuse for a human being. He has repeatedly brought negative publicity on the program, not through any kind of real criminal activity and not through incompetence, but simply by being a bad person. He has had by far the most negative impact on the football program. It's not even close.

I think if you ask most Husker haters over the age of 20 to name the worst thing about the Huskers, Lawrence Phillips will be the knee-jerk answer.

• Fire 1

Its funny to see we are split on who was worse. A man that cost us alot of losses, or a man who raped and pillaged as he pleased and who recently tried to run over some high school kids after losing a pick-up game of football.

Rape did I miss something? I thought it was abuse against women (which is almost as bad)

He still held nothing on to the likes of Scott Baldwin (RB) who attacked some girl in the nude and later tried to attack a police officer in Omaha that she had to shoot him. :facepalm:

If your asking who hurt Nebraska more I would have to say Pederson he took all of Nebraska tradition threw them out the door just so he could get the glory of saying he was responsible of bringing us back.

Look at it this way

One guy is paying for his crimes sitting in jail.

The other guy got Paid for what he did to leave Nebraska and got his old job back.

Is the guy that beat up a women worse then the guy they came up with a Ponzi scheme and bilked millions of people into losing their life savings?

:yeah Pederson essentially took a meat tenderizer to our tradition, a tradition we Nebraskans are very, very proud of because it is the foundation of the football program. This of course is the same program that jumpstarted Pederson's career. Talk about ungrateful. IMO, he & Phillips are on level ground...as the muck on our shoes.

These are some tough choices, Moon. I can see arguments for either side, but the fact that Phillips beat up that girl clinches it for me. I got no truck with woman-beaters.

I'm certainly happy that karma caught up with Phillips and he's doing the just time he deserves. We might never know how big of a hero Scott Frost was in that incident, you never know, he might have prevented a murder

If I remember right he hid in the bathroom while Phillips was dragging her down the stairs by her hair.

Pederson and Callahan were simply incompetent. Every program has had to deal with that and it's not a big deal, it just makes you lose a few games. Guys like Phillips and Collins are entirely different. They make the program look guilty by association to a lot of people. That kind of association is very hard to overcome. It takes a whole bunch of good people a very long time.

So, with all due respect to the horrible jobs done by SP and BC, the evil guys are worse for the program. Of those 2, Collins is just a gangster. An inept gangster apparently, but just a gangster none the less. Phillips, on the other hand, is a mean ugly-spirited excuse for a human being. He has repeatedly brought negative publicity on the program, not through any kind of real criminal activity and not through incompetence, but simply by being a bad person. He has had by far the most negative impact on the football program. It's not even close.

I think if you ask most Husker haters over the age of 20 to name the worst thing about the Huskers, Lawrence Phillips will be the knee-jerk answer.

I agree that Phillips and Collins have had the most negative impact, but don't underestimate what Pederson did. I am willing to bet that had we kept Solich...the program would not have just dropped off the map like we did. Had Pederson continued to do what he was doing then the whole program would have come close to imploding. He single handedly stripped away all of our traditions and values in order to carve his own legacy. He was sneaky and underhanded. Phillips doing the things he did wouldn't bring the program to its knees, but Pederson very well could have...and that is why he shouldn't be underestimated or passed off as "just an idiot."

Phillips easily. Phillips and Thunder are the only ones that belong in this discussion. Other characters we've had do too, and Pederson and Callahan don't belong anywhere remotely close to this list. There's a big difference IMO between guys that couldn't succeed at a high level, high profile job, and guys that actually left black eyes on the program.

Peterson and Callahan damaged our program on the outside; they hurt our performance and the culture of what Nebraska Football is. That being said, what Lawrence Phillips and the aftermath of his ordeal did hurt the soul of Nebraska Football. In one season, a program and a coach that was regarded with nothing but respect was morphed by the media into a win-at-all-costs program. It's something that a lot of people still unfairly hang on Dr. Osborne; something that a lot of people still associate with Nebraska.

• Fire 1

Pederson orchestrated the down fall of the University of Nebraska football program. Callahan was Peddy's tool. Thunder Collins messed up long after his contact with the Husker football program. LP was a troubled kid from day one. He was on his way to a Heisman Trophy and then had a horrible night with a former girlfriend. He was never able to go where his talent could have taken him. An incredible talent that was never able to reach the heights it should have due to the person that talent was bestowed upon.

T_O_B

:bonez:bonez:bonez

How come nobody ever pins the OJ stuff on SC? The worst of the Phillips and Collins crimes came after they went to school here.

I guess it comes down to the fact that they are two different types of black eyes. People will remember the wins and the losses longer than the crimes of two players. What those two (Phillips/Collins) did was more despicable, but the Pedey/Callahan work is more visible. :worship

I would guess in most Nebraskan's eyes it could be very close.

Nationally it is not even close, LP is the thing that has done more damage to Nebraska than anyone else, not even close.

Most do not even know Peterson was here and ask who was Callahan, uh the Raiders coach right?.

But mention problems and there is no one worse than LP.

Wins and losses are forgotten very quickly by those that are not fans of Nebraska, but LP will never be forgotten and Nebraska will never be forgiven because of him.

No contest.