LaTravis Washington

HANC

I know that he has been discussed on other threads and topics a few months ago, but I was talking to a fellow Husker fan this morning and we had the same opinion. I am sure we all have on opinion on him, but here is mine...

I personally think he is getting a "screw job". I have sat next to this kid and visited with him, and he is physically a "beast". He came to us a possible SS or LB and then out of necessity, moved to QB.... Did a good job in Spring game, and then rode the pine entire season...maybe 10 snaps??

I understand that we all say....take one for the team and we don't want any "I" or "Me" type of players. He obviously isn't one of these guys, since he switched positions and didn't sniff pt. After ALL of that, he helped recruit Carnes, saying nothing but fantastic things about the staff and school. We also don't promote quitting !!!

BUT, if I was him, and he was #3 or lower at QB (probably)..behind Lee-Green-Spano or Martinez, I would ask to be switch to OLB...ala Cody Green... at least being #2 at Will would give him a "chance" to see a little pt. If the coaches didn't switch him, then he should seriously consider transfering to UNO or a smaller school back home. This young man came 1/2 way across the country, has the physical tools (maybe not the mental aspect to play at NU ???? I don't know), but if he is a football player, he owes it to HIMSELF to go somewhere that would at least allow him to play the game he loves. Even if it is at a small school. If he transfers down, he wont have to sit out.

I just feel bad for the kid and hope he gets a least ONE year to play ball.

I am sure that I am wrong here, but just my thoughts.

• Fire 1

I think, if he's the athlete people say he is, and our other 3-4 QBs fail to really step up and show they can succeed against Big 12 defenses, that he should be given a shot on playmaking ability alone. Last year, for example, I would've taken Jammal Lord over Zac Lee in a heartbeat. Neither was any good at passing, but at least Lord was a ridiculously good runner who could turn a broken play into a 20-30 yard gain. So if Lee or any of the others don't show significant improvement, put in Washington and get creative.

Can he still take a redshirt year?

If so, it would be great to let him develop this season, in whatever position is the best at, and so he has a legit shot at playing in 2011. It would be great it he stayed at QB, because then once Zac graduates we would have someone who can push Cody Green (I don't think Carnes would be ready by then).

He can still take a redshirt year. If he wants to move back to defense, I think it would be a good call. I think with Lee, Green, and Spano, and perhaps Carnes, all ahead of LTW in the QB mix, it wouldn't make sense for him to stay there, to an extent.

I think the best move would be LTW back to D, redshirting, and getting a crack at some PT hopefully - he's a total stand-up guy by all accounts and there looks to be neither a present or a future for him at quarterback. He deserves another two years in this program rather than one, and another shot at a different position. But it all comes down to if he would like that, too.

Hearing that about him and Carnes, really elevated my respect for Latravis.

I assume Watson knows what he is doing but I would have started Washington over Green. When Cody gets in the game I grab a new beer. He makes me nervous...very nervous. I hope he learned a lot this past season and has one helluva off season. I know Washington has ton of talent and hope we get him on the field one way or another.

• Fire 1

If he can move back to D than that is where I would like him to go...I think he might be one of those guys where a coaching staff has a hard time finding him a position. Get him on the field and lets see what he can, whether it is on offense or defense...maybe both???

In the end, he is getting a free education and an opportunity to play D-1 football at one of the most prestigious programs in the nation.

I think, if he's the athlete people say he is, and our other 3-4 QBs fail to really step up and show they can succeed against Big 12 defenses, that he should be given a shot on playmaking ability alone. Last year, for example, I would've taken Jammal Lord over Zac Lee in a heartbeat. Neither was any good at passing, but at least Lord was a ridiculously good runner who could turn a broken play into a 20-30 yard gain. So if Lee or any of the others don't show significant improvement, put in Washington and get creative.

I would have taken J. Lord with two broken legs over Lee last year. It was simply humiliating watching Lee run the option....ughh. Even more so seeing him get crushed like a paper cup each time he kept the ball. Add his unaccurate passing and where is the upside? No wonder we were 102nd in offense and lost four games despite having a national championship quality defense.

With a J. Lord (not to mention a Frazier, Frost, Gill or Crouch) last year we would have played Alabama for all the marbles.

Heck yeah, let's give Washington or anybody with real talent a shot! What's the downside? How could it be worse than last year?

• Fire 2

If anything, I think it would be interesting to throw LaTravis in there for a few plays here and there. To run the Wildcat or the option. (Sure do miss those triple option plays of the TO days. Mackovicka up the gut, or the QB stringing it outside, with a pitch the RB down the sideline.)

I think it would be interesting to see them throw some wrinkles in the game plan.

Unless, of course, it disrupts the rhythm of the offense.

LEE WAS HURT, end of story. Let's just be proud that the team nor the coaches used it as an excuse and still found a way to win 10 games. Receivers not great, burkhead and Helu both hurt most of year, O-line-HURT and INEXPERIENCED (maybe throw poorly coached in there, but jury's still out on that), but i guess, it's still ALL the injured quarterback's fault.

Let's just be patient and see what next year brings with a healthy Lee, admit lee-haters, when he had a throwing arm this year, he was pretty serviceable, funny how everything went to hell right after his injury happened that we didnt know about. I know it was against lower-tier defensive talent, but when you look that good against those kind of teams, you just dont look that bad against better competition overnight. Lee's most likely gonna get the starting nod, he has the experience, he is the senior, he'll be healthy and ready to go and there were flashed in the holiday bowl of even his running ability that he is more than ready to take the next step. In other words, Washington needs moved back to linebacker or somewhere, his athleticism HAS to be on the field somehow.

• Fire 4

LEE WAS HURT, end of story. Let's just be proud that the team nor the coaches used it as an excuse and still found a way to win 10 games. Receivers not great, burkhead and Helu both hurt most of year, O-line-HURT and INEXPERIENCED (maybe throw poorly coached in there, but jury's still out on that), but i guess, it's still ALL the injured quarterback's fault.

Let's just be patient and see what next year brings with a healthy Lee, admit lee-haters, when he had a throwing arm this year, he was pretty serviceable, funny how everything went to hell right after his injury happened that we didnt know about. I know it was against lower-tier defensive talent, but when you look that good against those kind of teams, you just dont look that bad against better competition overnight. Lee's most likely gonna get the starting nod, he has the experience, he is the senior, he'll be healthy and ready to go and there were flashed in the holiday bowl of even his running ability that he is more than ready to take the next step. In other words, Washington needs moved back to linebacker or somewhere, his athleticism HAS to be on the field somehow.

:yeah

• Fire 1