Interesting discussion about NU on KU board

hskerprid

All that "expert" ( :sarcasm ) football talk comes from a site that has a ticker counting down to 20000 wins for basketball. What a shot of irony. I'm just glad they set it straight that Nebraska only has the 3rd best defense in the conference as opposed to the best in the nation like everyone else in the country was calling them. In this area we make a lot of jokes mocking Kansas intelligence, now i know why.

Guys lets not get ahead of ourselves here. I know the schedule looks fairly easy and the offense could be better. I just don't want our fanbase to become Ole' Miss fans from last year. I heard all offseason how good Ole' Miss would be last year and look what happened to them. Lets just wait till we kick the crap out of the huskies to get real excited. Stay calm and keep the faith.

kansas football fans or as ignorant as they come. they know basketball and that is about it. i live in kansas and man you would think that ku football have won national championships for years. mizzou fans are just about as bad but not quite. the only know what the newspapers tell them. living down here has made me more of a college football fan beyond nebraska. helps me appreciate other teams and traditons of college football.

I didn't read all of that, but if there's hype to be bought, I can't say I'm buying it either. And I don't blame fans of other teams not crowning our asses at this point. Why would they? We finished 14th in the polls, lost by far our best player, and have no evidence that our offense will suddenly become less pathetic. And now we're suddenly supposed to be a top ten team? Doesn't seem to equate. Although there is potential, and the schedule is favorable, I have no problem with any poll that doesn't have us in the top 15 preseason.

Now, if we go to Seattle and dominate a pretty good Washington team, I'll start to be less temperate with the Kool Aid.

:koolaid2:

i agree with most of what you said except for the highlighted portion. i dont think our injuries on the offensive side of the ball can be understated. our line should improve and is getting lots more depth, our RB's should be healthy and our QB should improve(and should be healthy) as long as they stay healthy I think our offense takes a massive step forward.

I will also add this.... while I have been accused by some on this board of being a "koolaid drinking sunshine pumper" the truth is I have been quite a pessimist. i called of 7 wins 2 years ago and 8 last year. thats 2 games per year I was off. I have continually underestimated this staff, and I have to wonder if I am not doing it again. we lost so much last year and yet we were able to take a massive step forward.

So let me get this straight - Kansas Fan isn't buying into the Husker hype?

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I originally had a boatload of Mr. Shockey Pants like these up here ^^^ but the board said:

You have posted a message with more emoticons that this board allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message

:(

:o

Of course they're not. And they raise valid points. It's up to the team to show them they're wrong. I believe they're wrong, but there'll be no convincing them of that without the proof on the field. See: Missouri Fan prior to our game last year.

So the real question here is, "Just how many emoticons does this board allow?"

I didn't read all of that, but if there's hype to be bought, I can't say I'm buying it either. And I don't blame fans of other teams not crowning our asses at this point. Why would they? We finished 14th in the polls, lost by far our best player, and have no evidence that our offense will suddenly become less pathetic. And now we're suddenly supposed to be a top ten team? Doesn't seem to equate. Although there is potential, and the schedule is favorable, I have no problem with any poll that doesn't have us in the top 15 preseason.

Now, if we go to Seattle and dominate a pretty good Washington team, I'll start to be less temperate with the Kool Aid.

i agree with most of what you said except for the highlighted portion. i dont think our injuries on the offensive side of the ball can be understated. our line should improve and is getting lots more depth, our RB's should be healthy and our QB should improve(and should be healthy) as long as they stay healthy I think our offense takes a massive step forward.

These are all just assumptions though. That's why I used the word "evidence"... I don't think there is actually any of that regarding an improved offense. We can speculate and say that it should get better or we think it will take a step forward, but I don't see much to back up those feelings. Look at Lee's performance against VT and compare to the one against Texas. Was there improvement there? I sure didn't see any. You can blame the injury, but the problems I saw sure looked more psychological than physical. Regarding the running backs health, well, same thing... why assume they will be healthy when they weren't able to stay that way last year? Helu has struggled with injuries his whole career. And the offensive line, well I guess the Holiday Bowl was promising. As far as "lots more depth", I'm not sure what you mean.

Hey, hopefully something clicks and the offense finally starts to look moderately formidable, but I won't be holding my breath.

Please DO NOT Copy and Paste like that! It is against board rules #1, and #2 who wants to read the same things over and over in the quotes.

Let them think what they may, they have a lot of misinformation down there evidently.

Sorry, I should of read the rules first. Who wants to read the same things over and over? Hum. Alot of people on this board do apparently, look around you.

Been on the road too long today??

Actually, lol...you read this before I could edit it, I came off a little harsh. So I apologize for that. But when you try and copy and past a long string like that, others end up reading the same quotes over and over...maybe you could have just cleaned it up a bit by deleting parts of it...

But like I said, I don't think they know our program very well by what they are saying down there...they didn't even mention Crick...and he will be a force to be reckoned with next season. They also didn't mention that Lee was hurt for much of the season (which was kept a secret).

Actually both were mentioned...Unless they were edited in after?

The majority of those posts are a lot more level-headed than the posts on this board.

no.....they are not

Actually..

I thought they were.

Especially, compaired to KSU or CU boards.

I liked how one poster theorized how the pundits would consider us an easy pick.

Just barely outside the realm of serious consideration, but if they miss with us, no one really would've expected us to go all the way to the MNC.

I also think that the main reason we are even being considered a MNC hopeful is not so much because we will be that good, but that our opponents will be that bad..(About the same feeling I got from our 2001? team that lost to Miami in the Rose Bowl).

These are all just assumptions though. That's why I used the word "evidence"... I don't think there is actually any of that regarding an improved offense. We can speculate and say that it should get better or we think it will take a step forward, but I don't see much to back up those feelings. Look at Lee's performance against VT and compare to the one against Texas. Was there improvement there? I sure didn't see any. You can blame the injury, but the problems I saw sure looked more psychological than physical. Regarding the running backs health, well, same thing... why assume they will be healthy when they weren't able to stay that way last year? Helu has struggled with injuries his whole career. And the offensive line, well I guess the Holiday Bowl was promising. As far as "lots more depth", I'm not sure what you mean.

Hey, hopefully something clicks and the offense finally starts to look moderately formidable, but I won't be holding my breath.

the line depth is not an assumption. we add the 2 freshman that bo said were going to play as true freshman before they were injured.... as well as yoshi. unless we have kids get kicked off the team or dont make grades it will be there. the injuries are assumptions, but come on...... what are the chances we have that many injuries again? that alone makes us better. how much better? theres the debate. and keep in mind they can take a massive step forward and still be just average. also Texas Defense>>>>>VT Defense.... I would say Arizona's would be a closer comparison.

• Fire 1

for the most part, I think they showed a lot of respect for Nebraska... that has been lacking for awhile. but this is the quote that I found most interesting:

but 1 more thing on the double standard between NU's defense and UT's offense. if you say losing 4 of their top 5 leading tacklers, over 50% of their sacks, leader in interceptions, and by far the best defensive player in the country wont hurt too much because bo pelini fields great defenses, then why would texas' offense be any different under mac brown next year?

Well, Bo has only been around the program the last two years... from last to first in D. I am sure there are a dozen other points that could be made regarding this snipit, anyone want to take a stab?

I'll add to that discussion...to me replacing a star qb is much more demanding on the offense than replacing a star DT is to the defense. The qb runs the offense...it could be argued that Suh ran the defense but you understand what I'm saying. The DT misses an assignment or a read and the linebackers/dbs can try to compensate...qb misses a read and you could have a big turnover. You get the picture.

I enjoyed most of the comments. We have a lot to prove and the point was made that so far Pelini's two teams have had trouble early/midseason. An experienced qb will help as well as a more confident D. Our offense finds their identity and stays healthy we could see good things. I really believe the potential is there and we are probably that preseason longshot that wouldn't surprise people.