Anyone else worried about MU?

I know everyone hates them and I'm right there with yal on that but MU scares me for some reason this year. Gabbert has a lot of talent and I think he will eventually be a first round draft pick. If he reads the messages boards at all he probably wants to beat us more than any other team. If they don't move to the big ten they will be our toughest north opponent until he graduates. Pinkle isn't that great of a game coach but has done a decent job recruiting. This season they will be a tough game but I'm more worried about the following two years with Gabbert at qb. Thoughts?

I know everyone hates them and I'm right there with yal on that but MU scares me for some reason this year. Gabbert has a lot of talent and I think he will eventually be a first round draft pick. If he reads the messages boards at all he probably wants to beat us more than any other team. If they don't move to the big ten they will be our toughest north opponent until he graduates. Pinkle isn't that great of a game coach but has done a decent job recruiting. This season they will be a tough game but I'm more worried about the following two years with Gabbert at qb. Thoughts?

Gabbert declares for the NFL draft after next season. We only have to face him for one more game.

He will be a first or second round pick after his junior year. That is my prediction.

I'm not going to be worried about MU until they start to play defense. They probably say the same thing about NU and offense. Anyways . . . Pinkel is usually good for throwing a few games away and their passing attack doesn't scare me. It was a different story back when they had Daniel, Maclin, Coffman, Temple. Now . . . not so scary.

Here's the thing about Missouri, and I've been saying it for a long time. They recruit talented players and do a pretty good job preparing for teams, but they have two issues.

1) Their run game is too laterally based. Most of the their hand-offs begin with the running back running laterally before making a cut up field. They have no downfield running threat, which means that a team that stays within their assignments will easily stuff their run game. They struggle against big time opponents because they just aren't physical enough up front in the run game.

2) Their pass defense is generally atrocious, especially this last season. They have solid linemen and a linebackers (like Spoon), yet their defensive backs have a lot of trouble. If you look at the way we played in the fourth quarter against them, 2 of our touchdowns came off of blown assignment. The other touchdown pass came because neither of their backs tried to make a play on the ball that Paul caught.

I believe it all simply comes down to coaching. Missouri recruits talented guys, yet it seems that they don't develop into stout defenders in the back field. Their offense will keep them in games and in the North title hunt, but until they get those two things fixed, I don't think they'll ever be able to challenge OU or Texas in a Big 12 title game.

So, in the end, I'm not too worried about Missouri. I know they're talented and that they will compete, but they have glaring issues that need to be fixed.

• Fire 2

Gabbert declares for the NFL draft after next season. We only have to face him for one more game.

He will be a first or second round pick after his junior year. That is my prediction.

Next season will be light in underclassmen. No CBA equals little $$

Here's the thing about Missouri, and I've been saying it for a long time. They recruit talented players and do a pretty good job preparing for teams, but they have two issues.

1) Their run game is too laterally based. Most of the their hand-offs begin with the running back running laterally before making a cut up field. They have no downfield running threat, which means that a team that stays within their assignments will easily stuff their run game. They struggle against big time opponents because they just aren't physical enough up front in the run game.

2) Their pass defense is generally atrocious, especially this last season. They have solid linemen and a linebackers (like Spoon), yet their defensive backs have a lot of trouble. If you look at the way we played in the fourth quarter against them, 2 of our touchdowns came off of blown assignment. The other touchdown pass came because neither of their backs tried to make a play on the ball that Paul caught.

I believe it all simply comes down to coaching. Missouri recruits talented guys, yet it seems that they don't develop into stout defenders in the back field. Their offense will keep them in games and in the North title hunt, but until they get those two things fixed, I don't think they'll ever be able to challenge OU or Texas in a Big 12 title game.

So, in the end, I'm not too worried about Missouri. I know they're talented and that they will compete, but they have glaring issues that need to be fixed.

Very, very good post!

I agree that Bo's blackshirts can line up with anybody. Missou's lack of a serious running game will hurt them badly vs NU. Our excellent secondary will hang with their wrs no problem while lightning Super D clones lock in to Gabbert.

And if NU develops a solid running game.....it's curtains for the Tigers for years to come. Juat think how a little play action passing will cripple them further. Like a cat toying with a mouse.

Until Missou can run the ball with authority "and" get a DC 50% as good as Bo/Carl I don't see them as a serious threat at all.

I come to this place, amongst others, to get Big Twelve information. I'm glad someone said something about Mizzou because I spend way-too-much of my time talking football with those boys on tigerboard. It's funny to hear perspectives, because the analysis listed above was pretty accurate. Gabbert has the potential to be a stud, but he's probably gone after this year and their running game is odd--at best. But holy heck do they think differently (understandable). Of all the forums I go to for Big Twelve information, no one hates us like those Mizzou boys. They think they've got our number next year in Lincoln and I really hope to silence that talk. Via their board, they will beat us this year and should have beat us last year--because:

1. Gabbert was hurt.

2. It was raining.

3. Our offense sucks and will continue to suck.

4. We have no "skill position" players.

5. We lost our entire D to the NFL.

Thought some of you may appreciate the musings going on just down the interstate. I will also say that the Husker fans on that site usually hold their heads with dignity and site sources vs throwing our baseless conjecture. Maybe the classiest fans in America will rub off on them a little--probably not! As always, stay classy Huskerboard.

MU will play us close, but Gabbert can't play under a lot of D-Line pressure. We have seen that over and over again last season. AND we don't have to blitz because we will rush 4 linemen, maybe the lineman and a safety... but with our NIckel and Dime packages it gives us enough DBs on the field to make up for the 5man blitz.

Gabbert will leave after this year for the NFl draft. He will most likely be a heisman candidate this year and will go out 1st or 2nd round next April. After this year... we have little Tyler Gabbert to kill. It will be fun doing in in Missouri. : )

1. The comment about MU's running game was a great point. The lateral running game should be used to compliment a down hill running game not as the primary source of rushing yards. I want to slit my wrists watching a lot of these spred offenses play. If you really feel like getting drunk watch college football for an entire saturday and take a drink every time a team runs a stupid zone read.

2. I don't see Gabbert leaving early because of the labor agreement problems in the NFL.

3. I grew up in southeast Nebraska and know some MU fans and they have to be some of the most obnoxious and uninformed fans I have ever been around. They think they "should" have beaten us every single year.

My goodness it makes me laugh debating with Misery fans about that game!!

And I quote,"IT WAS IN A MONSOON, IF IT WASN'T IT'D BE A WHOLE DIFF STORY."

We live in the midwest, esp in early Fall, rain is a second home for football players during that time in the season. I personally loved the rain playing football.

Gabbert was falling apart with the pressure regardless coming from our big guys up front and SUH, given there was some big pass plays our DBs got beat on during the first half (7 yds +), I really don't think even with the ankle bullcrap we would've lost that game, especially when their entire D gave up 4th qtr.

As for the comment about them being a contender...Well I feel it's going to be us and them competing for the North again. Kansas might make a small comeback with Gill But I don't think in a short amt of time there would be a durastic change with the entire scheme and for it to Click; Kst. will be a rising contender as well with some of the talent they posess, but overall us on top of the North and probably either Texas/OU for the South once again, unless some of the other South teams somehow step up.