OL Mike Shoff

HuskerEric

And don't get it twisted. I'm happily surprised at their production. But they are scholarship so it's expected. If they were walk ons like alot of think they should be then their rise would be clamor worthy. You are backing your argument with their productivity when in all actuality their productivity is counterproductive to your argument!!! Stay with me!!! You are arguing that they are schollie worthy players that if not offered by NU would be significant players somewhere else and there would be a huge void on this years squad. When in actuality their minimal production proves that since the cottons ARE scholarship players that the staff misused these scholarships. They should have went to better players and now because they are somewhat useful players, they are clogging up the depth chart and preventing better players from much needed experience on the field.

And don't get it twisted. I'm happily surprised at their production. But they are scholarship so it's expected. If they were walk ons like alot of think they should be then their rise would be clamor worthy. You are backing your argument with their productivity when in all actuality their productivity is counterproductive to your argument!!! Stay with me!!! You are arguing that they are schollie worthy players that if not offered by NU would be significant players somewhere else and there would be a huge void on this years squad. When in actuality their minimal production proves that since the cottons ARE scholarship players that the staff misused these scholarships. They should have went to better players and now because they are somewhat useful players, they are clogging up the depth chart and preventing better players from much needed experience on the field.

Maybe if Bo is gone in a year or two you should apply for the head coaching position since you seem to know the ins and outs of recruiting and developing players.

BACK TO SHOFF. I hope we give him a scholarship!! :ahhhhhhhh:laughpound

Shoff is being handled in the exact way that Jake shouldve been. He's a backup plan. If we miss on our bigger targets on the offensive or defensive line then he'll probably get an offer. Kudos to the staff for handling this case properly.

BACK TO SHOFF. I hope we give him a scholarship!! :ahhhhhhhh:laughpound

Shoff is being handled in the exact way that Jake shouldve been. He's a backup plan. If we miss on our bigger targets on the offensive or defensive line then he'll probably get an offer. Kudos to the staff for handling this case properly.

Am I understanding your line of thought? Couldn't you say the exact same thing about Cotton. "Cotton is being handled in the exact way that Shoff will be handled. He's a backup plan. If we miss on our bigger targets for TE then he'll probably get an offer. Kudos to the staff for handling this case properly."

You need to list the TE targets that we passed on in those years that were better then Cotton for me to understand the logic. It sounds like from several posts above that we should not have given them a scholarship ... thus, we would have been able to give out a scholarship for another position but as far as the TE spot we would have no commits and as well no TE to play. Or, as I am going to assume of our staff ... the TE targets we were looking at fell thru and in the end Cotton was given a TE scholarship.

Maybe if Bo is gone in a year or two you should apply for the head coaching position since you seem to know the ins and outs of recruiting and developing players.

Let him graduate high school first...

Let me ask you another question, what happens if we didn't offer Ben, Jake, and Sam scholarships and they chose to play ball somewhere else???

Now our best TE and a redshirt freshman guard on the two deep, not even on the roster. I'm sure as heck glad they are right where they are.

...their dad leaves for another job because his ties to NU are dramatically reduced - the OL produces a solid, core group of 5 - and we win 11 games in 2012, and NC in 2013.

Ben Cotton's offer has COMPLETELY ruined this football team. :sarcasm: But his dad still being here hasn't helped much. :)

Coulda gotten some quality at other positions. And ben walks on and earns his schollie while we have built depth at more important positions say... Quarterback or runningback or defensive line or linebacker or secondary... But I digress! By all means let's use up a scholarship the fifth best tight end on our board just to say we gave our all our scholarships!! Hey at least we're trying huh?

Coulda gotten some quality at other positions. And ben walks on and earns his schollie while we have built depth at more important positions say... Quarterback or runningback or defensive line or linebacker or secondary... But I digress! By all means let's use up a scholarship the fifth best tight end on our board just to say we gave our all our scholarships!! Hey at least we're trying huh?

Now your changing the position? He asked you about TE!!!

In that case, Ben commits to Louisville. Now what do you do? And by the way, have you researched the other TE's ... both those we got "signed" and those we missed on? Go back and look at that. It's an interesting research project. I'm not a "recruiting guy", just follow the Huskers. But we have landed some guys in the TE spot who were sought highly by other colleges. It's not as great as other players at other spots ... but again, you've got to present the TE's we passed on ... and you still have not done that. I get your point about other spots ... but come on ... you don't think the coaches look at that? You think you would do better then them and know more? Finally, where were you back in 2008 thru this past year ... we sure could have used your input. You could have saved the Huskers from missing out on all those TE recruits. I checked the threads for those years ... I don't see any posts by you promoting any TE recruits that we were not targeting. Can I fault you for that or second guess you today?

First off I'm a recent addition to this wonderful forum. And as far as me thinking I should be coaching well yeah your right I would do things differently if I were in charge but so would everyone on HB. Kinda the point in an open forum format. It gives us a chance to voice our POV from all angles. And in this case my point is from a what I would do if I were the HC not "listen To my ideas they are better than Bos and he should be fired for not doing it my way." you take what you read waaaaayyyy too seriously and my guess is you should take yourself a little less serious as well.... You wanna call me out for having an opinion on what I have seen from this team over the last 30 years. And where I "think" we can get better or better use our resources is JMO. Doesn't have to be yours too. I'm not trying to bring you To my side, just stating a wwid scenario... Anyhoo. Back to the cottons. It's simple IMO don't waste schollies on marginal players especially one that if left you could fine 10 more with equal talent. I want the staff to reserve the schollies for the best "players" regardless of position. Especially considering we have no depth at several other key positions. TE being a little down the list as far as priorities. How about recruiting DEs that also played tight end. 2 birds 1 stone. Versatility should be more prevalent in future recruits. Let ben cotton go or walk on and maybe we use the schollies back then that would allow us to focus on the entire team this year as opposed to 4 LBs and maybe 4-5 DBs. Shouldn't have to recruit so heavy to one area. They should be more spread out on your roster ie. We got 2 so. 2jrs and 2 fresh. Coming back at linebacker or running back etc. Unlike our problems say at RB where we got 1 sr. 3 so. A jr college transfer. I want improve this team from the inside out and if you scroll up I did admit maybe we missed on some recruits or whiffed completely. I agree that if Barney wasn't on staff but still from the state they would all be walk ons.