OL Mike Shoff

HuskerEric

If anyone has ever seen this kid play or wrestle, you would be singing a different tune. He is VERY athletic for a kid his size and would be one that would work his a$$ off all the time. On top of that, he is very smart also.

I watched his state final in wrestling last year and he was very good. I watched him play football this year and wasn't overly impressed. In fact, I had to specifically watch for him because he really didn't make very many plays that night. However, I wouldn't mind him getting a shot to see what happens.

If Shoff was as good as his measurables claim then he would have more schools than just Iowa knocking down his door. We aren't dumb... there's a reason other schools aren't jumping on board either. If we were stupid then it would reflect in his offer list.

Yes there was a reason. Shoff only had camped at NU, Iowa and KState or KU(can't remember which), He had always said he wanted to be a Husker. Most coaches hear that and figure the instate kid isn't worth the time and resources on someone who they honestly would probably have no shot at. The coaches in surrounding states(or ties to Nebraska ie Frankie) are mostly the only ones that will take a chance at a kid like this. Also we all know that Sutton and Cambrisge are regular stops for college coaches on the recruiting trail.

Had he not blown out his knee this scenario would be playing out completely different. Prior to the injury he had more than held his own at NU's camps as a sophomore. Mike has admitted he was too cautious early this season with the knee and then also played down to his competition at times, as he was so much stronger and bigger than most kids he lined up against.

Again, with his physical attributes and great feet/quickness for a kid his size, he is scholly worthy.

• Fire 1

If Shoff was as good as his measurables claim then he would have more schools than just Iowa knocking down his door. We aren't dumb... there's a reason other schools aren't jumping on board either. If we were stupid then it would reflect in his offer list.

His injury has a great deal to do with the amount of offers that he has received. I think he is well worth the gamble especially since we only have 11 kids committed to this class.

I agree with gamecocks but I still don't think he gets offers far from outside KU, KSt and Iowa. How many C-1, C-2 or Class D athletes in Nebraska get offers from outside Iowa, Kansas, and Ohio? Regardless of how impressive stats and measurables are it just doesn't happen. I wouldn't expect Shoff to get those offers even without this injury talk.

With that said I think his measurables and film are just as if not more impressive than Jared Crick was in HS, but with the scholarships we are looking to give out in this class at his positions (Thurston, Peat, Valentine, Curry), I think if he wants to come to NU than his best bet is to walk on and earn a scholarship. And I think he would pan out and would end up with a scholarship before he ended his career here.

Little off topic but that Andy staples article about decommits hopefully enlightens Husker fans to realize what a coaching change does to a recruiting class. Prior to 07 we lost Josh freeman, we lose out on BG, and we are left with what we have now at QB (not critical of TM bc he definitely matured last season, but is still work in progress), and losing two top 100 recruits that would have played 3-4 years killed our depth at OL. We're still reeling from BCs 5-7 season. Not making any excuses for where we are now but i believe it explains a little.

We can always use a good OL. Seems like we are always short of those....at least lately

Agree. Seems to me like two per class should be the absolute minimum. Even if we get Peat (*hoping*) I still wouldn't mind another. Especially with talked of a transfer out.

We do have Thurston who committed on 6/24 as well, so we will have two again for this class after Peat signs the dotted line. Shoff would be a 3rd.

We can always use a good OL. Seems like we are always short of those....at least lately

Agree. Seems to me like two per class should be the absolute minimum. Even if we get Peat (*hoping*) I still wouldn't mind another. Especially with talked of a transfer out.

We do have Thurston who committed on 6/24 as well, so we will have two again for this class after Peat signs the dotted line. Shoff would be a 3rd.

They offered the kid from Cali this weekend so it would seem he would be 3rd.

Shoff's measureables are definitely D-1 scholly worthy, and he was talked up pre-injury to be the best prospect in state this year.

However, it was reported he was underwhelming at camps after the injury, and if the staff has reservations, I trust them. I really do think with his size if he can bounce back from the knee he will be a great one. However, the injury forces him farther down our chain of priorities for OL this year, and if Whitaker and Peat both commit, I can't see us taking four scholly lineman this year, with the depth we've already built up.

But who knows. JMO.

Agreed ... then he becomes a walk-on opportunity with the chance at a scholarship for sure down the road.

That would be ideal. If he decides to go to Iowa instead of walking on at NU, though, that would piss me off. Mostly because he's the poster child for the type of lineman that go on to start at Iowa and get drafted into the league.

Interesting hypothetical. What if it is truly down to us and Iowa, and if we don't offer a scholly, he goes to Iowa. Do you think we offer him to keep him away from the Hawks?

Agreed ... then he becomes a walk-on opportunity with the chance at a scholarship for sure down the road.

That would be ideal. If he decides to go to Iowa instead of walking on at NU, though, that would piss me off. Mostly because he's the poster child for the type of lineman that go on to start at Iowa and get drafted into the league.

Interesting hypothetical. What if it is truly down to us and Iowa, and if we don't offer a scholly, he goes to Iowa. Do you think we offer him to keep him away from the Hawks?

I don't think it's Iowa we have to worry about. It's Kansas. According to 24/7 they're the current leader right now. He apparently has a committable offer from them.

If we were to do that ... RedTillImDead would blow a gasket ... so I'm hopeful that we do whatever RedTillImDead says and then we can fire his ass for the mistake and/or atleast kick him off Huskerboard. We just need to make sure we hold RedTillImDead accountable. :-)

On a personal note, if we have the scholly and that's the best use of it here as we close in on NSD ... and we need to offer it ... I defer to the decision of the coaches ... I'm just a fan and make no claim to know what the hell I'm talkin' about.