Husker 1995 Flashback

SwiftFan87

I remember thinking we would destroy FL knowing how many people were picking them to defeat us that game. It was unbelievable to think we were the underdog going in - talk about a chip on your shoulder. Admittedly, I totesmagotes forgot the grass vs artificial turf arguments leading up to the game (probably one of the dumbest things I've ever heard). I mean, have you heard that argument used in any big games since then? I don't think so :bonez:power

I was a freshman in HS at the time and i remember my uncle who is a huge Hawkeye fan telling me how bad NU was going to get beat. My response "The only way NU loses is if they miss the bus going to the stadium" I still bring it up all these years later. Man i love being right.

I had misgivings about that game. I remember how impressive Florida was throughout 2005, but I also remember that they hadn't played the same schedule we had played, and thinking we'd win - but in a close game. I figured we couldn't stop them from scoring but that we could shorten the game with our ball-control ground game.

We watched the game at the home of my wife's work buddy. Both she and her husband were Florida alums. After the first quarter I was not feeling too comfortable, but felt we weren't in any trouble. It was an exciting game.

After the second quarter, we spent most of halftime trying to cheer up our hosts with comments like, "You guys could come back..." and the like. I spent the whole second half holding in my glee. :)

One thing - Tommie gets way too much credit for "The Run." The Gators gave up on that play. That's pretty obvious. Yeah, he fought on and tore out of their grasp, but they were barely giving a half-hearted effort to bring him down. Florida's defense wasn't SO bad, nor was Tommie SO good, that he could break away from seven determined tacklers. It was just a case of a team being mentally and emotionally beaten, and Tommie and the Huskers at their peak.

Read the context of what I wrote, people. I never said Tommie Frazier wasn't good. It's ridiculous to gig my post if you're not reading it correctly. Sheesh.

• Fire 1

One thing - Tommie gets way too much credit for "The Run." The Gators gave up on that play. That's pretty obvious. Yeah, he fought on and tore out of their grasp, but they were barely giving a half-hearted effort to bring him down. Florida's defense wasn't SO bad, nor was Tommie SO good, that he could break away from seven determined tacklers. It was just a case of a team being mentally and emotionally beaten, and Tommie and the Huskers at their peak.

I can't believe you said that. Tommie wasn't that good? :facepalm:

• Fire 1

I think the "so good" comment was intended to be confined to "the run." I'll agree with Knapplc on this one. That run has certainly been hyped, and it was on a huge stage, but it probably wasn't the most impressive run of Frazier's career.

Frazier was great. Probably the best ever at Nebraska. However, that run was more a result of a beaten team and terrible tackling than a superhuman effort on Frazier's part.

I think the "so good" comment was intended to be confined to "the run." I'll agree with Knapplc on this one. That run has certainly been hyped, and it was on a huge stage, but it probably wasn't the most impressive run of Frazier's career.

Frazier was great. Probably the best ever at Nebraska. However, that run was more a result of a beaten team and terrible tackling than a superhuman effort on Frazier's part.

But..... Its still fun as hell to watch and just makes me grow with pride everytime I watch that clip.

Especially when he starts smiling about the ten yard line.

But..... Its still fun as hell to watch and just makes me grow with pride everytime I watch that clip.

Especially when he starts smiling about the ten yard line.

Absolutely. That whole game makes me grin like an idiot.

In context, that's a wholly true and logical comment. I don't see how anyone could have an issue with it.

My favorite article after the Fiesta blowout was by Tony Kornheiser:

Excuse me, would any of you Heisman voters like your ballot back?

Let me put that another way: If the Heisman voting were held today, Eddie George would not have to worry about his trophy getting its finger clipped off by the baggage X-ray machine at LaGuardia Airport.

Not unless he was checking it through to Tommie Frazier's house in Nebraska. LA Times

In context, that's a wholly true and logical comment. I don't see how anyone could have an issue with it.

Totally agree.

I even admitted on a Gator Board That They weren't near as bad as we made them look..And we probably weren't quite as good as we looked..more that we just peaked at the right time and they just had an off night.

One of them came back with a quote from Spurrier, "We could've played Nebraska ten times and lost twelve of 'em".

Of course if Mechicken or Penn State had picked that year to go undefeated and were crying about a shared MNC, there's no way I would've admitted any of that.

• Fire 1