Jacob Hickman article

What a loser. Do you realize how lucky you have to be to get invited to an nfl combine and have a chance to be drafted. He's wasting a chance to be an early round draft pick that millions would dream of. It makes me wonder why Nebraska would even want a kid playing on their team that doesn't want to be the best they can be and go to the NFL some day, especially when he had the ability. Hickman will deeply regret this decision. It's really not about the money, but the chance to experience the NFL is a dream of many. And the fact that he wants to be a coach means he obviously enjoys football which is another reason that makes no sense why he isn't playing. I would think he would want to tell his kids that he played in the NFL at least for a short amount of time. Hickman is young and could of played in the NFL for 5-8 years and saved up his money, then do what he really wants to do.

• Fire 3

What a loser. Do you realize how lucky you have to be to get invited to an nfl combine and have a chance to be drafted. He's wasting a chance to be an early round draft pick that millions would dream of. It makes me wonder why Nebraska would even want a kid playing on their team that doesn't want to be the best they can be and go to the NFL some day, especially when he had the ability. Hickman will deeply regret this decision. It's really not about the money, but the chance to experience the NFL is a dream of many. And the fact that he wants to be a coach means he obviously enjoys football which is another reason that makes no sense why he isn't playing. I would think he would want to tell his kids that he played in the NFL at least for a short amount of time. Hickman is young and could of played in the NFL for 5-8 years and saved up his money, then do what he really wants to do.

Did you read the fine print of the article?

Hickman has had multiple surgeries and has many foreign elements in his body just allow him to bend and move like normal people. You don't get that many screws in your body unless something is seriously wrong. Did you know he played the better part of a season with a bowling ball size bruise on his hip? Some guys can handle pain and injury better than others, and he proved his mettle well enough while in college. I would suggest not making judgments unless you yourself have been subjected to the physicality and stress of division one football.

Family is also extremely important to him. You may not know, but the NFL is an extremely grueling and competitive league. You have to be the best you can be and give 100% effort at all time. He wants to be able to be active with his kids as well as active in life in general, and he won't be able to do that (in his mind) if he goes to the NFL and further subjects himself to the bodily punishment he obviously can't handle for much longer.

The NFL may be important to some guys, but there have been many Husker players who hung up the cleats after their years here. It's a decision people make. Not everybody has the same desires and hopes as everyone else. You should respect him for his decision to protect his body and his mind, rather than throw in subjective remarks about how he should live his life and what he should do with it.

• Fire 4

Did you read the fine print of the article?

Hickman has had multiple surgeries and has many foreign elements in his body just allow him to bend and move like normal people. You don't get that many screws in your body unless something is seriously wrong. Did you know he played the better part of a season with a bowling ball size bruise on his hip? Some guys can handle pain and injury better than others, and he proved his mettle well enough while in college. I would suggest not making judgments unless you yourself have been subjected to the physicality and stress of division one football.

Family is also extremely important to him. You may not know, but the NFL is an extremely grueling and competitive league. You have to be the best you can be and give 100% effort at all time. He wants to be able to be active with his kids as well as active in life in general, and he won't be able to do that (in his mind) if he goes to the NFL and further subjects himself to the bodily punishment he obviously can't handle for much longer.

The NFL may be important to some guys, but there have been many Husker players who hung up the cleats after their years here. It's a decision people make. Not everybody has the same desires and hopes as everyone else. You should respect him for his decision to protect his body and his mind, rather than throw in subjective remarks about how he should live his life and what he should do with it.

Well said.

I replied with something harsher that probably would have warranted a huge WARNING from the mods, so I just hit delete.

+1

• Fire 1

Actually quite the opposite is the reality here. Hickman should be commended for his courage and vision and wisdom to take a pass on the NFL. He has the wisdom to know what is right for him and the self confidence to be able to turn down what might be tempting in order to best serve those around him and in order to be true to self. I am very, very impressed with Jacob Hickman. He is a fine Christian young man who conducted himself well at Nu and was and is a credit to Husker Nation.

Thank you Jacob.

• Fire 1

Actually quite the opposite is the reality here. Hickman should be commended for his courage and vision and wisdom to take a pass on the NFL. He has the wisdom to know what is right for him and the self confidence to be able to turn down what might be tempting in order to best serve those around him and in order to be true to self. I am very, very impressed with Jacob Hickman. He is a fine Christian young man who conducted himself well at Nu and was and is a credit to Husker Nation.

Thank you Jacob.

[/quote

exactly, some people just don't get it.......it has to be his dream, not the posters'....get over it!

• Fire 1

Well, I definitely agree with you that there is a loser in this thread. Such a shame you won't be able to live vicariously through him, eh?

• Fire 3

Wow, some people just don't get it at all. I at one time wanted to play college ball and had scholarship offers. However, I cracked a vertebrae my senior year. It didn't quite heal "normal". I was told that if I continued playing that there was a greater than normal risk of ending up paralyzed. There's some things in this life just not worth risking. Why in the heck would a guy want to continue to play and run a risk of never being able to walk or at least walk right again? For some of us, our bodies give out long before our heart and desire. He can coach a lifetime. He won't be able to play for a lifetime.

• Fire 1

He's on the front page of yahoo right now

just saw that.

I think it's great that he decided to do what HE wanted and not what everyone else thought he should do. I'm guessing from the above poster who said Hickman is a loser...that he's a newbie Husker fan. Obviously you don't understand the history behind Nebraska football. Why I love watching college and Nebraska football is because these kids love playing just to play. Sure some of them get scholarships and get sucked into the "dream" of playing for the NFL, but there are many walk-ons who don't...and there were many walk-ons in the past who just wanted to play for Nebraska because they loved the team. Money isn't everything.

not to mention I can't stand how the NFL is all about glitz, glamor and money now. It's more about the individual than it is the team. People like T.O. and Ocho Cinco prove my point.

"If I play for another 10 years, I might be walking with a limp when I'm 40," he said. "I would like to be able to play ball with my kids."

The reason that "kid" was on the team, is because he had heart.

I can completely understand his decision. He may want to be able to pick up his kids years from now, instead of having to be all jacked up on pain medications to make it through his day. How many "Behind the Lines" episodes do you need to see where guys have completely destroyed themselves for some big money.

what is his life expectancy if he plays in the NFL? 50 something? If he applies himself to his business like he has his football, he will make twice as much and live 1/3 longer. Good for him. he doesn't have to tell his kids he played in the NFL, he gets to tell them he played for Nebraska. Way better IMO.

Did anyone read any of the comments on that Yahoo article? All I can say is wow some people just don't get it. Hickman has a ton of screws in him, he had that bruise he played with most of the season, and I can only imagine how much pain he had to deal with on a day to day basis. Some of those comments made me furious. I would like to see those commenters have 14 screws put into them to hold them together and see how long they last. Man I am still PO'd and imgonnasuhyou...Hickman is a loser?? Why? Because he would like to walk and play with his kids...not to mention the fact that he will still make more money then you and he will be happy. He is a man that enjoys the small things...his path is in a different direction and he is being led there, no doubt about it. I applaud him for having the courage to follow and he will find his happiness.

retarded_3.jpg

• Fire 1