Helu status

From what I have heard, he will be full go in time for spring ball. There should be no issues there.

However, I am looking for the coaches to be a little more conservative with Roy Helu this next year. Obviously injuries in the Husker backfield hurt last year, thus forcing Helu to take on a role he wasn't physically capable of. That said, he's doesn't appear to be the guy who can take 60% or 70% of the carries in one season. He has been held out of two consecutive bowl games because of health issues.

I expect both Rex and Roy to be almost 50/50 in that regard this year.

• Fire 1

I would expect to see Roy going full blow through out spring. There is too much competiton at the RB spot with him, rex, and d-train. Then you through Braylon Heard in the fold.

I doubt you see Roy as "The" back. Having Rex/Trey bash skulls then having Helu or Heard slash through for a potential big gain/score is the likely route. Personally I'd prefer having Rex/Helu/Heard, but I think it'll be between he and Trey as far as who picks up the playbook quicker, holds onto the rock, etc. etc. etc.

Why does everyone look down on Trey? He will be our thumper back because of the weight he has added. He still has some speed, but he will be our big up the middle guy. Last year Rex averaged 4.3 YPC and Trey averaged 4.2 YPC. Both are respectable numbers for freshmen, but we want closer to Helu's 5.2 YPC.

I wouldn't be surprised if Heard red shirts, not because he lacks talent, but because we have a good 3 deep as it is. If someone gets hurt then I see Heard coming in, much like happened with Trey last year.

Roy is a good slasher guy, though he bulked up last year he paid for it with his hammies and really will never have the thumper ability. Rex is an all purpose back, great vision, good cutting, good speed, good power, not great anyone area, good everywhere. Trey is a thumper, great power, thats what he was in high school, he just needed to bulk up to do it in college and he has done it now. Heard looks to be another slasher like Roy. If Roy can stay healthy they will not need Heard this year and that gives him a year to get the playbook and some college speed/power adaptation. Then we get him for 4 more years after that as long as he doesn't bolt to the NFL.

• Fire 1

Why does everyone look down on Trey? He will be our thumper back because of the weight he has added. He still has some speed, but he will be our big up the middle guy. Last year Rex averaged 4.3 YPC and Trey averaged 4.2 YPC. Both are respectable numbers for freshmen, but we want closer to Helu's 5.2 YPC.

I wouldn't be surprised if Heard red shirts, not because he lacks talent, but because we have a good 3 deep as it is. If someone gets hurt then I see Heard coming in, much like happened with Trey last year.

Roy is a good slasher guy, though he bulked up last year he paid for it with his hammies and really will never have the thumper ability. Rex is an all purpose back, great vision, good cutting, good speed, good power, not great anyone area, good everywhere. Trey is a thumper, great power, thats what he was in high school, he just needed to bulk up to do it in college and he has done it now. Heard looks to be another slasher like Roy. If Roy can stay healthy they will not need Heard this year and that gives him a year to get the playbook and some college speed/power adaptation. Then we get him for 4 more years after that as long as he doesn't bolt to the NFL.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

looks like a 3 headed monster for 2010 rex/roy/trey

Here is what I think might happen (not what I want to happen, just what I think might happen).

We will go into fall excited but somewhat curious about what Helu will do. We will be excited about young Burkhead behind him (kind of like Marlon Lucky and Roy Helu).

As the season progresses Helu won't live up to some people's unreasonable expectations. they will start calling for Burkhead to get more PT (kind of like Marlon Lucky and Roy Helu).

As the season gets passed the 1/2 way point this will only get worse and worse and people will start calling helu a bust. (kind of like Marlon Lucky and Roy Helu).

By seasons end Roy will be hurt, not playing as much. He will be getting complimented for his attitude by the staff but blasted on the internet boards. Burkhead and Trey (or Heard) will be seeing reps and we will end the season really excited to see what our two young running backs will do in the future (kind of like Helu and Q)

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Not sure why people aren't expecting anything less than great things out of Helu for next year.

My personal opinion is that (assuming he is healthy) he will see less carries than he did this season when he was healthy, getting probably about 20 per game, but will really start to emerge into one of the nations best backs (not in terms of being drafted, but in terms of production and skill as a college player). The guy has shredded some really good defenses so far in his career that seems like it started just yesterday.

Not sure why people aren't expecting anything less than great things out of Helu for next year.

My personal opinion is that (assuming he is healthy) he will see less carries than he did this season when he was healthy, getting probably about 20 per game, but will really start to emerge into one of the nations best backs (not in terms of being drafted, but in terms of production and skill as a college player). The guy has shredded some really good defenses so far in his career that seems like it started just yesterday.

Yep, he's not a work horse running back. That's just not who he is, which is why I was awful nervous once Castille was dismissed from the team last year. Helu is a great running back, but probably shouldn't get more than 10-15 carries per game. Now that Burkhead is back and has established himself as a solid RB, hopefully one or two other RBs will step up to try and take that third spot and fourth spot.