Niles Paul breaks his Uncle Ahman Green's 10 yd. dash record

Nexus

6:23 p.m.: One quick note from Nebraska winter conditioning about somebody being, well, quick.

Niles Paul said Friday that he was clocked at 1.40 seconds in the 10-yard dash during some testing with Husker strength and conditioning coach James Dobson. That would shatter the school record for all players and eclipse the 1.42 that his uncle, Ahman Green, ran in the 1990s.

For reasons of legitimacy, Paul said, Dobson had him run it twice and the result was the same.

Dobson is big on explosion and ground-based power. The 10-yard times, in his mind, are more important than the 40s.

"It definitely says something about somebody's explosiveness,'' Paul said. "I'm a receiver and I want to be an explosive guy.''

All in all it sounded like a good winter for Paul as the eight-week program concluded Friday. We'll have more on the senior-to-be from Omaha North in Sunday's paper.

Paul and the Huskers get next week off for spring break before heading towards the start of spring practice on March 24.

LINK

• Fire 1

This hasn't been updated for years, but as of 2003 Keith Jones held the I-back record with 1.45 seconds and Khari Reynolds held the overall with 1.44. Other sites reported that Fabian Washington had the 1.42, but that was apparantly hand held.

Brandon Kinnie also ran a 1.4 something that broke the old WR record. Cody Green tied Steve Taylor's record of 1.5 at QB, Helu tied the RB record at 1.45 and Rex ran a 1.49.

This tells me that Dobson is doing an amazing job working with these kids.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=6164

10 yd is probably one of the best things for a reciever no? i think Matt Davison had a slow 40 but fast 10.

Yeah, Matt Davidson did not have blazing speed. He really didn’t even have decent speed. He was slow. But Davison had the best hands of any wide receiver I can think of. Better even than Swift. If a pass was thrown anywhere near Davison he would haul it in. The guy had hands like an industrial vacuum cleaner covered with stickum. I don’t think many people appreciated how talented Matt Davison was at catching the ball.

If Niles Paul had Matt Davison’s ability to catch the ball he would be the best WR in the country.

• Fire 1

I always like what I hear with coach Dobson. He's got a good head on his shoulders. It seems like some of the coaches these days focus too much on on power or speed, but not on the little things that create physical mismatches in football.

I really get the feeling that we are getting back to a team that can physically dominate our opponent week in and week out. Paul is a great example of this with ability, drive, and technique Keep it up boys!

• Fire 1

I think Paul is in for a great season hauling in passes or just getting his hands on the ball in general. His all-purpose yards may get pretty high up there! I really like his speed, vision, and ability to keep trucking after the first hit. Watching kick and punt returns, the guy just didn't ever want to go down!