Mike McNeil to Try Out Wide Receiver

My only worry is run blocking. McNeil did a pretty solid job (from my judgments) in the run game this last year, probably one of the few bright spots. If we get into health/depth issues again on the o-line this year, it will stink not having McNeil as a TE (given that he makes the switch to WR permanent).

At the same time, this is very exciting and I think McNeil could be utilized in a lot of ways.

My only worry is run blocking. McNeil did a pretty solid job (from my judgments) in the run game this last year, probably one of the few bright spots. If we get into health/depth issues again on the o-line this year, it will stink not having McNeil as a TE (given that he makes the switch to WR permanent).

At the same time, this is very exciting and I think McNeil could be utilized in a lot of ways.

Yes, that's a very good point. We desperately needed any run blocking we could get last year to be sure. Maybe SW feels confident we don't need him that much blocking anymore? Or maybe he thinks we most need someone who would actually catch the ball?

I just wonder who was the one who decided it was time to finally try to get McNeil the ball. This is great news. I also wish they would have did this last year. (Looking at you Shawn Watson...)

Don't you know it takes him half the year to figure out what to do on offense and a couple years to figure out what positions players should play?

I want to actually see McNeil play in the slot before I cast my ballot on this one. With MM moving to WR, doesn't that mean he'll stand no shot at becoming Nebraska's all-time receiving TE?

what would you rather have: Nebraska's all-time receiving TE or be an NFL player/starter?

I'm gonna default to YES on that one.

Sounds to me like we have a log jam at TE and we're looking for Mr. Reliable at WR. Towards the end of last season Paul started to earn his playing time, but when he was out of it for one reason or another our options dwindled to almost nothing. Nothing consistent, at any rate (though much of that was Lee's doing, injured and all). My only real concern with the McNeil move is whether or not this could impact his draft status in the League. If he wants to be a professional tight end, is this the best way to go about showing your worth? I know we have a loooot of talent lined up at TE along with a brilliant coach, but McNeil is on paper the best of the bunch.

I hope it works. But if it doesn't, I hope we don't let a talent like that go to waste as much as last season.

Is he going to slim down? At 240 he'd be 30lbs heavier than any other WR on the roster. Or are they going to keep him at that size and have him do a lot of blocking from the Slot? On a run play having a guy that size in the slot along with a TE would be nice. The crappy thing for the defense is, if they fake the run (think Option pass), McNeill is a huge threat down the field.

Imagine having Dreu Young and McNeill on the same side of the formation. Run the Option pass, pull the guard, and on a three count release both the TE and Slot downfield. Now who do you cover, and who do you cover him with? That's a grim choice for a defense, especially if the QB is athletic enough to pull the ball down and make you pay with his feet if you cover the WR and TE.