Position Changes

Haven't seen anything posted about this, but Mendoza has been moved to corner and Mike Smith is now working out at center. They said coaches feel Smith is big enough to play tackle. I believe they said he was around 290. I feel for Mendoza. Seems like the kid just can't find his niche.

Smith at Center was predicated upon how quickly the coaches figured Yoshi could become the starting LT correct? So is it ok to assume that Hardrick is looking like everything he is supposed to be then?

Really not sure what to make of Mendoza, he's a guy with a ton of talent and speed but for some reason can't find a place on the squad. Understood why he was moved to WR with the HB depth and then moved back to HB when Q was dismissed last year, but I'm surprised he's making such a move to defense and not back to WR or just staying at HB now... it makes sense on offense in that with Mike McNeill moving over there's depth at the slot that he may not see time there and he's probably not an X/Z type, but there is more than ample depth at corner as it's easily the deepest position on the roster and not sure why he'd be put in a position to have to learn another position again with almost no chance of playing the field.

Haven't seen anything posted about this, but Mendoza has been moved to corner and Mike Smith is now working out at center. They said coaches feel Smith is big enough to play tackle. I believe they said he was around 290. I feel for Mendoza. Seems like the kid just can't find his niche.

I assume you mean "isn't" big enough, right?

Smith at Center was predicated upon how quickly the coaches figured Yoshi could become the starting LT correct? So is it ok to assume that Hardrick is looking like everything he is supposed to be then?

I doubt they know the answer to that after one spring practice and winter conditioning. Fundamentals and technique and are being stressed heavily this spring, with very little emphasis on anything else. They'll be teaching schemes for the spring game, but that's not the main focus.

I think the move has to do with depth and competition at center as well as Mike's size, more than anything else. All we really have at the center position is Caputo, but the coaches don't want anybody to just get the job. Pensick and Smith have been moved around because Pensick is young and Smith didn't fit the tackle role well. Bringing them both into the center spot provides competition for Caputo and all around depth.

and Mike Smith is now working out at center.

This could work out pretty well for us. Mike Smith is smart. Doesn’t seem to miss too many assignments. He will do fine at center. But I doubt that Yoshi starts at LT this year if Smith moves. He will back up Marcel Jones. That would be my guess.

This could work out pretty well for us. Mike Smith is smart. Doesn’t seem to miss too many assignments. He will do fine at center. But I doubt that Yoshi starts at LT this year if Smith moves. He will back up Marcel Jones. That would be my guess.

I really, really hope that's not the case. DJ and Marcel have no business being a tackle.

• Fire 1

I really, really hope that's not the case. DJ and Marcel have no business being a tackle.

Oh come on. You can’t be serious. D.J. got beat some, but who didn't last year? D.J. looked pretty good most of the time. Marcel didn’t play as much, but looked promising for a sophomore.
Oh come on. You can't be serious. D.J. got beat some, but who didn't last year? D.J. looked pretty good most of the time. Marcel didn't play as much, but looked promising for a sophomore.

Ok, so your logic is that because everyone sucked last year, it's okay? If that's the case, then why don't we just keep our whole o-line in from last year?

Both would be better suited at guard; either as a starter or backup. They have too slow of feet to be at the tackle position unless they have drastically improved their footwork.

• Fire 1

The Mendoza situation: He had ample opportunity last season to step in and show he could be an adaquate RB. Burkhead got hurt and Roy was banged up. Marcus had plenty of opportunity to step up and fill a need. But we ended up having to pull Robinson's shirt and give him the ball because he was our number 3.

The Jones Boys will be fine at Tackle. If they dont figure it out we have some RS freshman that I'm sure are chomping at the bit to play.