Position Changes

Why does everyone "feel for Mendoza" in this situation? He must've been a favorite when he got on campus a couple years ago or something. My take - there's a reason a player doesn't get PT & is forced to try different positions - he just doesn't cut it. I mean how many other guys have had to change positions, get thrown to the back of the line, and NOT received any of the Mendoza feelings? I don't care who it is, I want the best out on the field. End of story.

I believe the coaches have moved him around in effort to utilize his speed, as he is one of the fastest on the team. You feel bad for a guy when you know he has some tools that may allow him to contribute to the team, but gets moved around a lot and never get into a groove at any one position.

I personally would like to see him in a Brian Westbrook type role....short dump passes to get him in space and use his speed.

what i have heard is that Mendozas problem is that he doesnt have very good hands and that is why he is not playing IB, WR, or KR. People have been saying that for a while and this move to a position that doesnt require the ability to catch the ball routinely seems to follow suit with that.

Bottom line is that this at least gives him the opportunity to learn a position that he may have a shot of playing in the NFL (whether he sees the field or not in college), because he does not fit the role of IB or WR in the NFL...

Zactly.

:nutz

and Mike Smith is now working out at center.

This could work out pretty well for us. Mike Smith is smart. Doesn’t seem to miss too many assignments. He will do fine at center. But I doubt that Yoshi starts at LT this year if Smith moves. He will back up Marcel Jones. That would be my guess.

Will Mike Smith even play? Mike Caputo is a guy that had impressed the coaches enough that they wanted to move Hickman, the best O-lineman, to Guard to make way for him to start as well. Smith getting moved to center may as well have been a dismissal from the team, because he will most likely disappear now. Who knows, maybe he'll take to center like a fish to water.

Caputo is undersized for a B12 linemen, and Mike Smith being undersized for an LT is why they're moving him to center. So unless Smith totally flounders at center, I think Caputo will be the backup

Some of Nebraska best centers have been his size.

Caputo, Mike OL 6-1 275 Jr. Omaha, Neb. (Millard North)

Graham, Aaron C 6-4 285 Sr. Denton, Texas (Denton)

Taylor, Aaron C 6-1 305 Jr. Wichita Falls, Texas (Rider)

Raiola, Dominic C 6-2 300 Jr. Honolulu, Hawaii (St. Louis School)

players are also bigger now than they were 10 years ago, Caputo is small for a modern D1 center no matter how you slice it.

That's funny since he the same size as these guys

Dan Koppen C 30 6-2 296 8 Boston College

69 Ryan Wendell C 24 6-2 285 1 Fresno State

Nick Mangold C 26 6-4 305 5 Ohio State

56 Michael Parenton C 24 6-2 287 1 Tulane

43 Tanner Purdum C 25 6-3 217 1 Baker

Ben Hamilton C 32 6-4 290 10 Minnesota

Jeff Saturday C 34 6-2 295 12 North Carolina

I guess the these guys couldn't play in D-1 class because of their size so they better stick to their day jobs in the NFL. this is just looking at 4 pro team (Patriots, Colts, Jets and Bills)

I

I rather see Nebraska with a line around 6-3 to 6-4 300-315 and be able to move rather then these 6-7, 6-8 340 350 guys they get now.

Will Mike Smith even play? Mike Caputo is a guy that had impressed the coaches enough that they wanted to move Hickman, the best O-lineman, to Guard to make way for him to start as well. Smith getting moved to center may as well have been a dismissal from the team, because he will most likely disappear now. Who knows, maybe he'll take to center like a fish to water.

I was thinking the same thing DJR. I was pretty impressed with Caputo when he came in to to for an banged up Hickman on a few series. There were a couple of times last year that I wanted Caputo starting instead of Hickman.

I don't have much to say about Mendoza because he didn't see much playing time at both RB and WR but hopefully this move to corner will allow us to see more of Mendoza in the future

This could work out pretty well for us. Mike Smith is smart. Doesn’t seem to miss too many assignments. He will do fine at center. But I doubt that Yoshi starts at LT this year if Smith moves. He will back up Marcel Jones. That would be my guess.

Caputo is undersized for a B12 linemen, and Mike Smith being undersized for an LT is why they're moving him to center. So unless Smith totally flounders at center, I think Caputo will be the backup

players are also bigger now than they were 10 years ago, Caputo is small for a modern D1 center no matter how you slice it.

I guess the these guys couldn't play in D-1 class because of their size so they better stick to their day jobs in the NFL. this is just looking at 4 pro team (Patriots, Colts, Jets and Bills)

I

I rather see Nebraska with a line around 6-3 to 6-4 300-315 and be able to move rather then these 6-7, 6-8 340 350 guys they get now.

that doesnt exactly mean much though, maybe i should have clarified...it is undersized for our offense then. on top of that only one of them is close to the same size.

shorter linemen are fine if you are utilizing a rushing offense but we arent, we have a multiple offense with nearly equal rush and pass. For our offense we need taller linemen, however most linemen dont weigh 340-350..most are 300-310 which is right where they should be.

I

that doesnt exactly mean much though, maybe i should have clarified...it is undersized for our offense then. on top of that only one of them is close to the same size.

shorter linemen are fine if you are utilizing a rushing offense but we arent, we have a multiple offense with nearly equal rush and pass. For our offense we need taller linemen, however most linemen dont weigh 340-350..most are 300-310 which is right where they should be.

Ah, yes multiple offense (meaning good at somethings great at nothing)Why, exactly do you need taller linemen for screen passes and 10 yard outs?

The arguement you have with Caputo then is that he would not make the offensive line aesthetically pleasing to the eye? :facepalm:

I

Ah, yes multiple offense (meaning good at somethings great at nothing)Why, exactly do you need taller linemen for screen passes and 10 yard outs?

The arguement you have with Caputo then is that he would not make the offensive line aesthetically pleasing to the eye? :facepalm:

Well, I would love to see our superb "multiple" offense have a real rushing game. Yes, even short(gasp!) roadgraders is ok with me! I hope Bo shoves that concept down SW's throat.

I

ok obviously you dont know the basic fundamentals of how an offensive line works so im just going to stop arguing with you. :facepalm:

getting back to Mendoza, the kid obviously hasn't seen the field or landed a position for a reason. if he can compete and bring something to the table he earns a position and plays, otherwise he ends up on specials or as a backup that doesn't play at all...simple as that, it takes more than speed to play the game.

Hmmm I remember back in 03 Bo sent Fluellen (sp?) over to the offense and told Solich that he was the only reciever (practice squad) his defense was afraid of due to his speed. Granted he caught the long balls thrown to him...so either mendoza really isn't that fast or can't catch because other than Niles we only had average play from the recievers last year.

So is mendoza a senior? It would make me believe that Bo thinks he can compete at corner.