The QB Spot

All I'm saying is that it better be ZL or Cody Green. The Martinez story is cute and all, but if Taylor Martinez is the best QB we have on the roster, it's going to be a loooooong season.

Longer season than last year's offense??? With Martinez we could finish worse than 12th in the BigXII in total offense?

I can't even imagine our offense being that bad again. Good Lord, I'll most gladly give Martinez or anybody with a pulse of talent a shot.

I’m guessing Cody Green takes the reins, and Zac Lee is a capable backup. But like Enhance89 said above, if CG can't take the job with Lee out, then, well, you have to be curious about his abilities.

Whoever it is, the QB will be better than last year. Either an improved, healthy Zac Lee. Or Cody Green if he wins the job from Zac.

Martinez or Green.

Reasons being Martinez is from a big state with lots of competition. The coaches seem to think he's catching on pretty quick. Green because otherwise a whole lot of us in this state will have to eat our crow (myself included from his recruiting days)...

Still wouldn't surprise me that much to see Lee have a really solid year for two reasons: 1. should be healthy 2. ganz was really high on lee prior to last season. Not saying that ganz is a pro scout, but he did see day-to-day so maybe more weight should be given to the injury than I/we have given it.

In all truth, I just want someone to be ready... doesn't sound like much but then last year happened!

And - see all of you at the spring game this weekend!!! HOORAY!!! GO BIG RED!!!! GO BIG RED!!! Come pregame with Nillie and the Fam before the game!!

I'm most excited about Carnes. I really want to see what Martinez can do. Green- Even if he gets better I don't know. He's really done nothing to make me get overly excited about him. I want to see how Zac Lee plays when the game is on the line and he's healthy.

The whole QB race is a toss up. You've got guys who have potential but they're all so inexperienced except for Zac Lee who really has only played one season himself. Such a crazy time at QB right now.

I wish I knew who to get excited about. I am not convinced Lee's injury was the reason for his poor play last year. However, I do like knowing we have an experienced QB on the roster. As for the Green, I think he has the tools based on his limited play last year, but needs more time in the hot seat to develop. As for the rest, what do we really know? A few practice reports and some high school video? I cannot get excited about them or christian any of them as the next husker savior based on that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - what does it matter what name is attached to our quarterback? All I care about is that the quarterback has the respect of the team, that he's a leader, that he's competent, and that he scores quickly so my Blackshirts can get back on the field and wreak more havoc.

Lee, Green, Spano, Washington, Martinez... I really don't care who it is.

One thing that worries me about Cody Green is where he is keeping his head at right now.

I work at Walgreens here in Lincoln part time in the photo lab while I'm going to school. I can't tell you how many times I have seen Cody Green pop up in a bunch of different pictures, from many different girls, at many different parties. I work at the second closest-to-campus Walgreens, so I get a lot of student pictures.

I'm not saying the kid can't have fun nor that he can't live a little, but he has a full ride to Nebraska to play quarterback. He's been kind of the "hot new thing" on campus with a lot of people (especially girls) following his coat tails. I get the impression that he isn't 100% committed to school and football.

Then on the flip side, you have a guy like Martinez, who is really quiet and reserved. And, from many reports we have seen, he has been doing exceedingly well this off season. It seems to be coming down to a "who wants it more" factor.

All I'm saying is that it better be ZL or Cody Green. The Martinez story is cute and all, but if Taylor Martinez is the best QB we have on the roster, it's going to be a loooooong season.

Quoted in agreement. BUT, to answer the question that the thread title asked...I'm probably most excited about Martinez and Brion. Just because of the potential excitement they can bring to our offense running the ball. I miss the Jammal Lord, Eric Crouch days. I'm sooo ready for any of our talented, athletic quarterbacks to shine.

One thing that worries me about Cody Green is where he is keeping his head at right now.

I work at Walgreens here in Lincoln part time in the photo lab while I'm going to school. I can't tell you how many times I have seen Cody Green pop up in a bunch of different pictures, from many different girls, at many different parties. I work at the second closest-to-campus Walgreens, so I get a lot of student pictures.

I'm not saying the kid can't have fun nor that he can't live a little, but he has a full ride to Nebraska to play quarterback. He's been kind of the "hot new thing" on campus with a lot of people (especially girls) following his coat tails. I get the impression that he isn't 100% committed to school and football.

Then on the flip side, you have a guy like Martinez, who is really quiet and reserved. And, from many reports we have seen, he has been doing exceedingly well this off season. It seems to be coming down to a "who wants it more" factor.

Wow, very interesting.

I do think it's hard to tell how 'focused' a player is from things like that though, although nonetheless it's an interesting tidbit. Is Martinez being quiet and reserved from personal knowledge, or is it just his absence in such photos?

Wow, very interesting.

I do think it's hard to tell how 'focused' a player is from things like that though, although nonetheless it's an interesting tidbit. Is Martinez being quiet and reserved from personal knowledge, or is it just his absence in such photos?

Well, he hasn't popped up in photos, but that truth is that none of the other football players I know end up in these photos. I see Blake Lawrence almost weekly and I'll chat with him sometimes, and then I see Cody Green pop up in pictures, but he's generally the only football I see in these photos.

But, I do have a buddy of mine who knows Martinez pretty well and he says that Martinez is a pretty laid back guy that doesn't do a whole lot outside of school and football.

Wow, very interesting.

Well, he hasn't popped up in photos, but that truth is that none of the other football players I know end up in these photos. I see Blake Lawrence almost weekly and I'll chat with him sometimes, and then I see Cody Green pop up in pictures, but he's generally the only football I see in these photos.

But, I do have a buddy of mine who knows Martinez pretty well and he says that Martinez is a pretty laid back guy that doesn't do a whole lot outside of school and football.

I'm not too worried about him being at parties and hanging with girls. If these pics are him doing keg stands or taking body shots off these girls, we might have an issue.

It is college. You are supposed to get laid in college.

I think it has to be Zac Lee. I had no confidence when I saw Cody Green last year, maybe he needs some time in the offense, but it takes a lot more than raw talent to lead a football team. I think Lee is our best option at QB, but I wouldn't mind seeing Green and Martinez rotated in once in awhile to change the pace.

Wow, very interesting.

I'm not too worried about him being at parties and hanging with girls. If these pics are him doing keg stands or taking body shots off these girls, we might have an issue.

I'm not to worried, they are still kids, and should be able to go out. Like you said he is the hot new thing, so when he does go out all the girls know him and want a picture with him. That doesn't mean he is out that much, just that when he is out people recognize him and want a picture. When I was in college at UNL I attended plenty of parties with football players. I would see T. Nunn on a weekly basis, but he never drank and always left early. Even so the girls were always talking to him and wanting pictures because he was recognizable. There was normally a couple of other players with him, but even I didn't know who they were because they were low on the depth chart.

Wow, very interesting.

I'm not to worried, they are still kids, and should be able to go out. Like you said he is the hot new thing, so when he does go out all the girls know him and want a picture with him. That doesn't mean he is out that much, just that when he is out people recognize him and want a picture. When I was in college at UNL I attended plenty of parties with football players. I would see T. Nunn on a weekly basis, but he never drank and always left early. Even so the girls were always talking to him and wanting pictures because he was recognizable. There was normally a couple of other players with him, but even I didn't know who they were because they were low on the depth chart.

I think Zac or Cody gets the start. They've got the experience on the field. Martinez has impressed the coaches with his progression and overall athletic ability but I don't see the staff making him the starter YET. I think he'll play this year, get some snaps under his belt. I see the staff using him in Wildcat formations. I see them using him when we've got a good lead, etc. I think he'll even play some in the close big games to see how he handles the pressure. But I don't think he gets the start just primarily due to the fact that he practiced with the scout team last year, and he's a RsFr with no experience. The lack of experience will play a factor. Look for him to move up throughout the season though and possibly contend for a start by the end of the year.

I see him as 2nd or 3rd string this year. He'll challenge Green for the start next year, along with Brion and Jamal. There's going to be good competition next spring... possibly even more than this year with Jamal coming up early!!