Turner, Holt, Brooks

so i never said i'd take these two over Swift and Peterson. please don't tell me you are trying to say you think Gilmore is a good coach and actually develops players. i'm pretty sure that's not even up for debate.

That is exactly up for debate, and I made my point poorly. I'm pointing out that nobody was complaining about the WR production after the 2008 season. Swift and Peterson were also guys Gilmore developed. You have to look at Gilmore's successes as well as failures. I'm not saying Gilmore has done a great job or anything, but I'm not convinced he's doing a bad one either.

Well here's a question here for you. Do you really think Gilmore developed those guys? Swift's best season was possibly his Freshman year. You could say his Senior season was better, but honestly not much. You also have to realize that both Swift and Peterson have naturally good work ethic. Maybe that wasn't the case for Holt and Brooks? Not saying they weren't hard workers but maybe they needed to be inspired more than Swift and Pete. I just don't think you can necessarily call Swift and Peterson "Gilmore's successes." I would classify them as personal successes.

And to whomever posted that Gilmore is a darn good recruiter: I haven't noticed much WR talent coming in and any big time recruit, regardless of the position, seems to be pulled in by JP

Haha you would? You were at practice everyday making sure Swift and Peterson were notes taking Gilmores advice? On sitting in zones, first step directions, and stop and gos, ect. They taught it all to themselves? Give me a break man, if Paul goes for 1000 yards in no way is Gilmore a factor? Please give me a better argument next time

so i never said i'd take these two over Swift and Peterson. please don't tell me you are trying to say you think Gilmore is a good coach and actually develops players. i'm pretty sure that's not even up for debate.

That is exactly up for debate, and I made my point poorly. I'm pointing out that nobody was complaining about the WR production after the 2008 season. Swift and Peterson were also guys Gilmore developed. You have to look at Gilmore's successes as well as failures. I'm not saying Gilmore has done a great job or anything, but I'm not convinced he's doing a bad one either.

Well here's a question here for you. Do you really think Gilmore developed those guys? Swift's best season was possibly his Freshman year. You could say his Senior season was better, but honestly not much. You also have to realize that both Swift and Peterson have naturally good work ethic. Maybe that wasn't the case for Holt and Brooks? Not saying they weren't hard workers but maybe they needed to be inspired more than Swift and Pete. I just don't think you can necessarily call Swift and Peterson "Gilmore's successes." I would classify them as personal successes.

And to whomever posted that Gilmore is a darn good recruiter: I haven't noticed much WR talent coming in and any big time recruit, regardless of the position, seems to be pulled in by JP

Haha you would? You were at practice everyday making sure Swift and Peterson were notes taking Gilmores advice? On sitting in zones, first step directions, and stop and gos, ect. They taught it all to themselves? Give me a break man, if Paul goes for 1000 yards in no way is Gilmore a factor? Please give me a better argument next time

YES!! i was praying this would be somebody's response. of course i'm not arguing that Gilmore doesn't know the game of football. obviously Swift and Peterson learned some things from him, like how to sit in zones, etc. but so can 119 other WR coaches. i never said your everyday football fan can replace him, but there are many more capable WR coaches out there than Gilmore. and please don't even use Paul's next season as an example. he was an extreme talent coming out of high school, one of the few we ever have at this position (and Brooks, who Gilmore sure as heck didn't develop properly), and he is finally going to hit it big by his senior season, or the end of his junior season? Niles Paul would have been a star from day one at Texas Tech, Texas, or Oklahoma

also notice how the two assistants that get the most criticism are form Callahan's staff? we shouldn't have kept them in the first place. now i don't want to start a whole new argument on Watson, because i'm willing to give him another year, but Gilmore, boy would i be ecstatic if i heard he were gone tomorrow.

Brooks looked like he was going to start stepping up and be the second guy behind Paul, but then he hurt his back around the TTech game (in fact I think he had something like 5 catches for 70 yards in the Tech game). Then by the time he was ready to come back we were very vanilla on offense and only used Paul most of the time.

Brooks just never had the chances to become something this past year. He got buried in the depth chart when Gilleylen and Holt were playing great in the non-conference, then got hurt when he was starting to come on.

also notice how the two assistants that get the most criticism are form Callahan's staff? we shouldn't have kept them in the first place. now i don't want to start a whole new argument on Watson, because i'm willing to give him another year, but Gilmore, boy would i be ecstatic if i heard he were gone tomorrow.

Cotton got just as much if not more flack than Watson or Gilmore last year, and he's a Pelini hire.

Cotton got just as much if not more flack than Watson or Gilmore last year, and he's a Pelini hire.

good point

YES!! i was praying this would be somebody's response. of course i'm not arguing that Gilmore doesn't know the game of football. obviously Swift and Peterson learned some things from him, like how to sit in zones, etc. but so can 119 other WR coaches. i never said your everyday football fan can replace him, but there are many more capable WR coaches out there than Gilmore. and please don't even use Paul's next season as an example. he was an extreme talent coming out of high school, one of the few we ever have at this position (and Brooks, who Gilmore sure as heck didn't develop properly), and he is finally going to hit it big by his senior season, or the end of his junior season? Niles Paul would have been a star from day one at Texas Tech, Texas, or Oklahoma

:facepalm:

but there are many more capable WR coaches out there than Gilmore. and please don't even use Paul's next season as an example. he was an extreme talent coming out of high school, one of the few we ever have at this position (and Brooks, who Gilmore sure as heck didn't develop properly), and he is finally going to hit it big by his senior season, or the end of his junior season? Niles Paul would have been a star from day one at Texas Tech, Texas, or Oklahoma

:yeah:yeah ...........look, Gilmore and Cotton still have to prove to me they belong in Bo's group, they have yet to show that they excel.

:facepalm:

brilliant comeback. if you have a rebuttal i'd like to hear it rather than the childish, "i'm better than you so i have nothing worth saying"

there's a reason we are getting no quality WR recruits to even look at us. they know that with Gilmore, their best case scenario is a possible breakout senior season.

Who else was our QB supposed to throw to? None of those other guys were getting open once conference play started, not to mention that our swiss cheese o-line didn't give him much time to make reads and go through his progressions. And don't forget ALL THE DROPPED BALLS that hit guys right in the hands or were close enough that most junior high kids would make a catch.

Who else was our QB supposed to throw to? None of those other guys were getting open once conference play started, not to mention that our swiss cheese o-line didn't give him much time to make reads and go through his progressions. And don't forget ALL THE DROPPED BALLS that hit guys right in the hands or were close enough that most junior high kids would make a catch.

#1 You are correct that the QB did not have time to make progressions, thus Paul the #1 option got a lot of forced balls his way.

#2 How do you coach a guy to catch, especially if most junior high kids can catch those balls. Gilmore is a "great recruiter", why not bring in some junior high kids. The WR postion is the most affected by defense, whether it be man-to-man, zone, 3-deep, 2-deep, whatever, the WR's are open when they are open. Some are just more able to make spectacular catches than others when a ball is poorly thrown.

Quiz:

Who was the College QB of the following WR's:

Jerry Rice

Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Chris Carter, Calvin Johnson, Michael Irvin, Bednerik, Heinz Ward (oh that's right, he was a QB)

My point: you don't teach someone to be a stud WR, they are or they aren't. You as a coach find a way to fit their style and abilities in your system if they are able to be a WR at the NCAA D1 level.

So we have 2 issues here. If they are not capable of being D1 receivers, is Gilmore that great of a recruiter of receivers, or is Watson not using the receivers to their potential?

Out of those two options, Gilmore only is responsible for recruiting. Thus making him a bad recruiter and useless to the staff.

Enter sarcasm here!!!!!

I wasn't really commenting on Gilmore, but there's obviously not a lot of learning/teaching/top talent/etc stuff going on.

I was just saying you can't put it all on the QB considering the circumstances. Not that our QBs didn't make some poor decisions at times, just saying there are 11 guys on the field at the same time for a reason.

but there are many more capable WR coaches out there than Gilmore. and please don't even use Paul's next season as an example. he was an extreme talent coming out of high school, one of the few we ever have at this position (and Brooks, who Gilmore sure as heck didn't develop properly), and he is finally going to hit it big by his senior season, or the end of his junior season? Niles Paul would have been a star from day one at Texas Tech, Texas, or Oklahoma

:yeah:yeah ...........look, Gilmore and Cotton still have to prove to me they belong in Bo's group, they have yet to show that they excel.

They don't have to prove anything to you. You're just a guy with a computer, like the rest of us.