Five Super Conferences

Personally, I think with the FBS having 120 teams, there needs to be 10 conferences of 12 teams with championship games or 12 conferences with 10 teams where you play all the teams in your conference. These Godzilla conferences seem like a waste, not playing a team for 3 or 4 years in some cases (unless you rotate games every year, but still).

Personally, I think with the FBS having 120 teams, there needs to be 10 conferences of 12 teams with championship games or 12 conferences with 10 teams where you play all the teams in your conference. These Godzilla conferences seem like a waste, not playing a team for 3 or 4 years in some cases (unless you rotate games every year, but still).

It doesn't help that there are 120 FBS teams to begin with.

It doesn't help that there are 120 FBS teams to begin with.

It's getting to be like NCAA basketball.

wow if someway in the world this happens then pretty much the Big 12 turns into the worst conference out there. Rice, New Mexico, Tulane? And of course if you think the SEC gets a lot of credit for being a powerhouse now Oh my goodness if they land Texas AND Oklahoma? Just wow, luckily this is just pure speculation and has little to no chance of ever happening

But like i said, i cant imagine that NE gets stuck, unless its by their own doing.

We have enough cache and command enough eyeballs that we're not going to be left behind in this process, unless of course Perlman and Osborne simply drop the ball altogether. I have no doubt Nebraska will end up in a pretty good situation when the dust settles.

I caught a few minutes of the Penn State Spring Game Saturday. While it's painful to listen to Paterno bumble along in his oratory, he did have very good things to say for PSU's membership in the Big 10 has helped them tremendously, especially in the area of academics, and JoePa stressed research as the primary beneficiary of their membership. With UNL's focus on advancing research via the new Research Park, this could be a huge boost to the school's academics.

Like i said the other day, what could your school do with an extra 10 million a year??

Replace all of the Swingline staplers with Boston's!

This guy is crazy.

Anybody else notice that the Big 12 South was replaced entirely by former non-BCS teams. It is the only conference subdivision which this happens.

Nebraska might as well just join Conference USA and they can do away with the Big 12.

This would NEVER happen.

Faced with this nightmare situation, bailing for the Big 10 doesn't seem so bad. In the end I just want what's best for NU. Ideally, I'd like the big 12 to get a TV contract on par with the Big 10 and SEC although I realize we don't have the TV market that they do. Whatever happens, I hope it's not this although I agree with you all that it's extremely unlikely if not impossible.

The only great argument I've heard against Nebraska joining the Big 11 is Texas recruiting. The Big 11 has better TV contracts, better schools, more appealing conference matchups. And it's not like you couldn't recruit Texas, either. Yes, we can't pitch a game in your state every year anymore, but we can't make that pitch in Florida and California either, and we still recruit them. The connection of the staff to the high schools is the biggest concern there. We'd take a Texas dip but probably see an Ohio bump, which in the long run might even be more productive considering Pelini's background.

If it were me I would take the Big 11 up on their offer if they came calling. The Big XII has epic failed with the Oklahoma/Nebraska rivalry already, and our TV presence absolutely blows. A lot could change with the conference realignment, but NU had better be ready to make the hard changes or we'll be twisting in the wind, with more and more influence being centralized in Texas.

While I hate Texas and their egocentric ways more than anyone else, I am not sure jumping ship to the Big 10 where we would be viewed as second rate (especially in academics, though I disagree) is any better. I just don't think I am willing to trade one tyrant (Texas) for two (Michigan and OSU). I mean look at all of the crap Penn State has gone through in the 20 years since their acceptance in 1990! Additionally, that 10 million a year would be nice, but I think it is MUCH to early to tell how the addition of 3 or 5 teams would impact the revenue stream from the Big 10 network.

The only great argument I've heard against Nebraska joining the Big 11 is Texas recruiting. The Big 11 has better TV contracts, better schools, more appealing conference matchups. And it's not like you couldn't recruit Texas, either. Yes, we can't pitch a game in your state every year anymore, but we can't make that pitch in Florida and California either, and we still recruit them. The connection of the staff to the high schools is the biggest concern there. We'd take a Texas dip but probably see an Ohio bump, which in the long run might even be more productive considering Pelini's background.

If it were me I would take the Big 11 up on their offer if they came calling. The Big XII has epic failed with the Oklahoma/Nebraska rivalry already, and our TV presence absolutely blows. A lot could change with the conference realignment, but NU had better be ready to make the hard changes or we'll be twisting in the wind, with more and more influence being centralized in Texas.

While I hate Texas and their egocentric ways more than anyone else, I am not sure jumping ship to the Big 10 where we would be viewed as second rate (especially in academics, though I disagree) is any better. I just don't think I am willing to trade one tyrant (Texas) for two (Michigan and OSU). I mean look at all of the crap Penn State has gone through in the 20 years since their acceptance in 1990! Additionally, that 10 million a year would be nice, but I think it is MUCH to early to tell how the addition of 3 or 5 teams would impact the revenue stream from the Big 10 network.

i think if we were one of their own, they would change their tune quickly, we are only second rate because we are not one of them. also, if enough big 12 teams joined, it might shift the power if the big 12 teams lobbied together.

A conference overhaul like this is inevitable if a successful playoff system is ever to be instigated. Tom saw this coming a long time ago which is why he expressed returning to the top as quickly as possible to remain relevant and not get stuck in a sh**ty conference like the one proposed here.