OT Andrus Peat [Stanford Commit]

Nexus

Peat is no longer making the trip this weekend. No big deal...cost of booking the trip was too much for the family to swing. Still planning to come to the Iowa game and we are in as good a position as anyone.

Perhaps the best part of this decision is the fact that the whole family can spend Thanksgiving together in Lincoln?

I remember last year when Todd was originally supposed to visit NU for the Texas game but pushed it back to the Colorado game instead. This year we're seeing the same thing with Peat #2. Maybe that's a good omen?

Peat is no longer making the trip this weekend. No big deal...cost of booking the trip was too much for the family to swing. Still planning to come to the Iowa game and we are in as good a position as anyone.

Perhaps the best part of this decision is the fact that the whole family can spend Thanksgiving together in Lincoln?

I remember last year when Todd was originally supposed to visit NU for the Texas game but pushed it back to the Colorado game instead. This year we're seeing the same thing with Peat #2. Maybe that's a good omen?

That's an interesting thought, you might be on to something.

Yup, they can't make this one an official trip so they are holding off for an official where you don't have to pay.

• 2 weeks later...

With Peat choosing to go in a different direction from his older brother in playing in the UA game versus Army, it begs the question: Will he go a separate way when it's time to pick a college as well?

"We're very close, very close," Peat said. "He's just a year ahead of me, so we've always hung out together and it was great playing with him on our high school team. I get asked all the time about college, and Nebraska is very high on my list. Todd loves it there and said they have the best coaching staff in America.

"At the same time, I need to make the best decision for me, and he understands that. I'm looking at this as a business decision and asking myself, 'If Todd wasn't at Nebraska would I still want to go there?' I know I would, and that's why they're on my list and why I'm taking an official visit there in November."

Peat said there are several other schools on his list and he plans to make his next cut after his season.

"I'm looking at Stanford, Texas, Florida, Florida State, USC and Notre Dame still," he said. "I'm close to setting a visit with Stanford, but that's the only school I know I'll be visiting other than Nebraska.

from espn..... sounds good to me!

• Fire 3

With Peat choosing to go in a different direction from his older brother in playing in the UA game versus Army, it begs the question: Will he go a separate way when it's time to pick a college as well?

"We're very close, very close," Peat said. "He's just a year ahead of me, so we've always hung out together and it was great playing with him on our high school team. I get asked all the time about college, and Nebraska is very high on my list. Todd loves it there and said they have the best coaching staff in America.

"At the same time, I need to make the best decision for me, and he understands that. I'm looking at this as a business decision and asking myself, 'If Todd wasn't at Nebraska would I still want to go there?' I know I would, and that's why they're on my list and why I'm taking an official visit there in November."

Peat said there are several other schools on his list and he plans to make his next cut after his season.

"I'm looking at Stanford, Texas, Florida, Florida State, USC and Notre Dame still," he said. "I'm close to setting a visit with Stanford, but that's the only school I know I'll be visiting other than Nebraska.

That sounds great to me! He said that he would still want to go there without his brother, so with his brother there it should be pretty clear IMO.

mr_burns.gif

• Fire 1

Who was the last 5* recruit that met that expectation?

Let's remember that Baker was rated as a five star as an OFFENSIVE tackle. Applaud the kid for wanting to go his own route in college and not have to live in his father's shadow and having to hear how "Dean did this" and "Dean did that'. Some people need to take that into consideration when they try bashing Baker. On top of that, although he has rough spots this year, it is easily arguable that he was performing better than Crick, watch the film. And those were games where they were double teamed about the same amount of time.

And as for the 5 star kids not "living up to the hype", do some people think that may be in part because as fans we all got so geeked up at these kids committing that we automatically put them on a certain level of excellence? What a lot of these guys did was against high school competition, and almost everyone of them have/has said it is a whole different level of skill in college. We are just as easily to blame for putting outrageous expectations on these kids before they have even set foot in LIncoln.

Who was the last 5* recruit that met that expectation?

Let's remember that Baker was rated as a five star as an OFFENSIVE tackle. Applaud the kid for wanting to go his own route in college and not have to live in his father's shadow and having to hear how "Dean did this" and "Dean did that'. Some people need to take that into consideration when they try bashing Baker. On top of that, although he has rough spots this year, it is easily arguable that he was performing better than Crick, watch the film. And those were games where they were double teamed about the same amount of time.

And as for the 5 star kids not "living up to the hype", do some people think that may be in part because as fans we all got so geeked up at these kids committing that we automatically put them on a certain level of excellence? What a lot of these guys did was against high school competition, and almost everyone of them have/has said it is a whole different level of skill in college. We are just as easily to blame for putting outrageous expectations on these kids before they have even set foot in LIncoln.

Another reason could be that the Pelini brothers are defensive minded coaches.

There were only 6 scholarship DT's before Baker & Toailoa arrived in 2008. Furthermore there were only 2 walk-on DT's when Pelini took over.

Sr. Ty Steinkuhler

Sr. Shukree Barfield

Jr. Ndamukong Suh

So. Ben Martin

RFr. Jared Crick

RFr. Terrance Moore

Fr. Quentin Toailoa (2008 signee)

Fr. Baker Steinkuhler (2008 signee)

Between those 6 players, only Suh (11 starts) and Ty Steinkuhler (8 starts) saw any significant playing time during the 2007 season. Barfield played in 12 games but only started 1 game and amassed 15 tackles for the season while Ben Martin only played in 6 games with no starts and 3 tackles for the season.

Seeing how thin and inexperienced the DT unit was when Pelini arrived puts Baker's position switch in better perspective.

• Fire 1
  • Mavric unlocked this topic