Big 10 expansion talk heating up

The following comes from Steve Deace who is a Radio personality on 1040 WHO and also hosts a sports talk show on 1460 KXNO out of Des Moines. TIFWI

http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/football/9704-big-ten-expansion-update.html

Bruce Feldman of ESPN on KOMC has said that Missouri to the B10 is pretty much done.

Tom Dienhart of Rivals.com Tweeted the following:

"Big Ten expansion buzz has league adding Mizzou, Nebraska, Pitt, Rutgers and Syracuse and splitting into four, four-team divisions. "

Then tweeted the break down:

1 Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Penn State

2 Michigan, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Minnesota

3 Ohio State, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois/Northwestern

4 Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois/Northwestern

Actually, I like the 16 Team, 4 division breakdown. It means that you would play probably 7 conference games, and the only teams that you would play every year would be the other three in your conference. I guess Mizzou would be thrilled, because they would get to officially be our rival. Iowa would probably rather see ISU come in so they could have the in-state rivalry. Illinois would like to be Mizzou's rival. The only team that it kind of leaves in flux would be Nebraska - would be consider our biggest rival Mizzou or Iowa?

I would like the move to the Big X, because it would bring the competition of the Big X. If we stayed in the Big XII, with Missouri leaving, we would have to find a replacement for them, and probably Colorado. Maybe Arkansas? TCU? Seems like we need either more north teams or something though.

Why would u want to go to the Big ten, its a joke. Now, if they were decent again, its alittle different, but not much.. The Big 12 is a better conference than the big 10, we just need better tv rights, why dont they have a big 12 channel, it our commissioner who is doing us in

Actually, I like the 16 Team, 4 division breakdown. It means that you would play probably 7 conference games, and the only teams that you would play every year would be the other three in your conference. I guess Mizzou would be thrilled, because they would get to officially be our rival. Iowa would probably rather see ISU come in so they could have the in-state rivalry. Illinois would like to be Mizzou's rival. The only team that it kind of leaves in flux would be Nebraska - would be consider our biggest rival Mizzou or Iowa?

I would like the move to the Big X, because it would bring the competition of the Big X. If we stayed in the Big XII, with Missouri leaving, we would have to find a replacement for them, and probably Colorado. Maybe Arkansas? TCU? Seems like we need either more north teams or something though.

Mizzou is not going abandon a rivalry that pre-dates the Civil War. You would want us to burn Lincoln, would you?

Why would u want to go to the Big ten, its a joke. Now, if they were decent again, its alittle different, but not much.. The Big 12 is a better conference than the big 10, we just need better tv rights, why dont they have a big 12 channel, it our commissioner who is doing us in

$$$$$$$

That's what this comes down to. The Big Ten has way more of it than the Big 12 does. The Big 12 does not have the population base to earn TV profits like the Big Ten does . . . and we never will.

$$$$$$$

That's what this comes down to. The Big Ten has way more of it than the Big 12 does. The Big 12 does not have the population base to earn TV profits like the Big Ten does . . . and we never will.

So u would rather play in a joke conf, then compete with the big boys???? Were getting ready to catch the SEC and go on a run, we just need a better innovative plan

$$$$$$$

So u would rather play in a joke conf, then compete with the big boys???? Were getting ready to catch the SEC and go on a run, we just need a better innovative plan

Nope. But if the Big 12 is going to implode I'd rather be on a different ship than floating by myself in the ocean. Again, there is no way for the Big 12 to compete financially. The Big Ten Network has an enormous population advantage.

Then again . . . you could bury your head in the sand and hope for a return of the Big 8. I'm sure that will work out well. :thumbs

(Also, fabulous work on totally ignoring the factual point I made and making comments about "bein' skurred o' the big boyz.")

I guess u fail to realize that Texas on their alum alone, has like ten of the wealthiest people in the US. The only reason we are losing revenue, is because were not jumping on like, a Big 12 network or playing games in other regions, since we have fallen off for awhile, Nebraska has lost a little luster.

Also, I live in the SEC region and I'm tired of them saying we play no one, if we do switch, then I know it will get worse... I'm just not happy with the big ten, I'm not ignorant to the fact of the finacial needs of the teams, just oppose the idea. Now, I wouldnt mind joining the SEC :koolaid2:

the big 10 isnt nearly as bad as some people seem to make it out to be, and it would only get more competitive by adding NU and MU. the big 10 is arguably the most tradition rich conference in the country and adding a team like NU would certainly make them the most tradition rich conference by far. i am all for a move, as more money tends to equal better facilities etc which tends to equal better recruits. as well as it would allow us to pay our coaches better so that there would be very little chance of any of them jumping ship.

now, about the above alignment: that setup greatly benefits OSU and Penn St. as there divisions are much weaker than the other two. we would have to deal with both MU and Iowa in any givin year while they essentially deal with nobodys especially the OSU division. however what i do like is that there is a tradition laden program in each division, that is awesome!

Michigan and Ohio State not playing every year. Never going to happen.

Missouri throwing away the Kansas game is not going to happen is my guess.

I think we see the 16 team conference, but there will be tie in games with past rivals is my guess.

Oklahoma seems to be the loser in all of the talk.

Texas and A&M to the SEC, Colorado to the Pac10.