BIG NEWS

The university's statement:

“We recognize the intense speculation about conference realignment and the possible impact it may have on Nebraska. Both Chancellor Harvey Perlman and Athletic Director Tom Osborne have indicated that the university would consider any opportunity that would advance the interests of the university.

“The University of Nebraska has not been offered any opportunity to move from the Big 12. We remain committed to the success of the Big 12 Conference. Until the Big 10 Conference makes and announces its decision on expansion, the University of Nebraska will have no further comment and we do not intend to continue to respond further to questions or speculations on this subject.''

To me this bold section is either poor word choice or carefully chosen words...and since it's a released statement and not some off-the-top-of-your-head comment I believe it is the latter....

The whole thing is carefully worded. There's no denial in there.

"We recognize the intense speculation about conference realignment and the possible impact it may have on Nebraska. Both Chancellor Harvey Perlman and Athletic Director Tom Osborne have indicated that the university would consider any opportunity that would advance the interests of the university.

"The University of Nebraska has not been offered any opportunity to move from the Big 12. We remain committed to the success of the Big 12 Conference. Until the Big 10 Conference makes and announces its decision on expansion, the University of Nebraska will have no further comment and we do not intend to continue to respond further to questions or speculations on this subject.''

To me this bold section is either poor word choice or carefully chosen words...and since it's a released statement and not some off-the-top-of-your-head comment I believe it is the latter....

Translation:

Per our non-disclosure clause with the Big Ten at the moment, we are not able to speak on this just yet.

i for one think it would be sweet as heck if we are big 12 champs this coming season and then playing in the big 10 next season!!!! talk about sticking it to the texas schools!!!!!!!!

:corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance

"We recognize the intense speculation about conference realignment and the possible impact it may have on Nebraska. Both Chancellor Harvey Perlman and Athletic Director Tom Osborne have indicated that the university would consider any opportunity that would advance the interests of the university.

"The University of Nebraska has not been offered any opportunity to move from the Big 12. We remain committed to the success of the Big 12 Conference. Until the Big 10 Conference makes and announces its decision on expansion, the University of Nebraska will have no further comment and we do not intend to continue to respond further to questions or speculations on this subject.''

The obligatory non-denial denial.

here in kansas city, sports 810 are reporting that initial invitations to nebraska, mizzou, rutgers, and possibly notre dame have been issued. the official invitation would then happen next month when the big ten commishes meet. the reporters here feel that it is a done deal in terms of mizzou since the governer wants it...i am torn really...i have always disliked the big 10...but if it is more money and better education for the university then why the hell not...anybody know hwat has to happen in nebraska for this move to happen?

here in kansas city, sports 810 are reporting that initial invitations to nebraska, mizzou, rutgers, and possibly notre dame have been issued. the official invitation would then happen next month when the big ten commishes meet. the reporters here feel that it is a done deal in terms of mizzou since the governer wants it...i am torn really...i have always disliked the big 10...but if it is more money and better education for the university then why the hell not...anybody know hwat has to happen in nebraska for this move to happen?

Remember. The only person actually saying this is Kevin Kietzman, a KSU d-bag notorious for getting it wrong and outright making things up.

“We recognize the intense speculation about conference realignment and the possible impact it may have on Nebraska. Both Chancellor Harvey Perlman and Athletic Director Tom Osborne have indicated that the university would consider any opportunity that would advance the interests of the university.

“The University of Nebraska has not been offered any opportunity to move from the Big 12. We remain committed to the success of the Big 12 Conference. Until the Big 10 Conference makes and announces its decision on expansion, the University of Nebraska will have no further comment and we do not intend to continue to respond further to questions or speculations on this subject.''

Nor from the Big 10

As soon as the denials start coming out, that's when you know it's the truth. Welcome to politics. A week ago I said that I was leaning towards the idea that Nebraska will end up in the Big 10; now I'm nearly certain. Things are starting to move and move fast.

Totally agree. I've always said I wouldn't get nervous about this move until the public denials started flowing. It's only a matter of time now. As good as the novelty of a new conference would be, I can't help but hope for something somewhere to break down.

Why would you get nervous about NU moving to the Big 10? Compared to staying in the Big Texas Conference, it's the best move they can make and without question the best move for the university and the athletic department and all of the sthletic programs.

I'm fine so long as we can preserve our rivalry with OU...and of course we have some unfinished business with UT. I have a lot of friends that went to Penn St and OSU, so that part would actually be kind of fun...to say nothing about how much EASIER it would be to see games. And of course it makes the most sense for the university as a whole in the big picture. I just want to make sure our rivalries are preserved.

Sorry to appear to be a hater, but the Big 12 killed your rivalry with OU. You don't even play them half the time...

It would suck so much if Nebraska and Mizzou went to the Big 10 and KU did not. KU / MU is a great rivalry, I hate them intensely. Nebraska and KU have been playing eah other every year for over 100 years straight. I have always loved college sports, but losing these great opponents (one classy, other hated, you figure out who is who) will be awful. I have basically written it off, you all are gone and Mizzou too. I hope I am wrong, but for about a week now I have come to the conclusion that the team I admire most and hate most from the opponents we face are both gone. If it is so, I will miss you all and best wishes. I don't wish Mizzou anything but thorns and bile, but I wish I had em around still, This sucks...

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

As soon as the denials start coming out, that's when you know it's the truth. Welcome to politics. A week ago I said that I was leaning towards the idea that Nebraska will end up in the Big 10; now I'm nearly certain. Things are starting to move and move fast.

Totally agree. I've always said I wouldn't get nervous about this move until the public denials started flowing. It's only a matter of time now. As good as the novelty of a new conference would be, I can't help but hope for something somewhere to break down.

Why would you get nervous about NU moving to the Big 10? Compared to staying in the Big Texas Conference, it's the best move they can make and without question the best move for the university and the athletic department and all of the sthletic programs.

I'm fine so long as we can preserve our rivalry with OU...and of course we have some unfinished business with UT. I have a lot of friends that went to Penn St and OSU, so that part would actually be kind of fun...to say nothing about how much EASIER it would be to see games. And of course it makes the most sense for the university as a whole in the big picture. I just want to make sure our rivalries are preserved.

Sorry to appear to be a ahter, but the Big 12 killed your rivalry with OU. You don't even play them half the time...

You're exactly right.... That is why we would like to try to schedule OU every year as an out of conference game so that we can restore our Rivalry with OU.

The yearly OU game is a done deal. We need to move on from that.

Jayhawk, I cannot imagine Missouri and Kansas not playing every year. I have to believe that if Mizzou moves on to the Big 10 that they'll try to find a way to play every year. I'd love to keep Kansas as a yearly game for the Huskers, too. You all are good people, good opponents.