The Official "What Are You Playing Now?" Thread

Real Time Strategy. Not a shooter.

Think Starcraft (duh), Age of Empires, the old Warcraft games, etc (Think there was a Star Wars RTS game at some point...Age of Mythology is RTS i think?). Really there are 3 RTS games that characterize the entire genre: Starcraft, Starcraft 2, and Age of Empires 2.

ah, gotcha...

Some of those are a mother... Trying to keep everything together logistically is a pain in the ass...

Left out Sins of a Solar Empire which is one of the best RTS's imo. Sins is less 'twitchy' than Starcraft. Multiplayer Starcraft was always a turn off for me, as it gets so focused to managing the total clicks, and super micro managing. Though Sins has more depth imo also.

I remember the first RTS, that was on the Sega Genesis, "Herzog Zwei"...

I wasn't that good at it, but watching my roomies in the army play it, while drunk as hell, was entertaining...

Think Starcraft (duh), Age of Empires, the old Warcraft games, etc (Think there was a Star Wars RTS game at some point...Age of Mythology is RTS i think?). Really there are 3 RTS games that characterize the entire genre: Starcraft, Starcraft 2, and Age of Empires 2.

ah, gotcha...

Some of those are a mother... Trying to keep everything together logistically is a pain in the ass...

Left out Sins of a Solar Empire which is one of the best RTS's imo. Sins is less 'twitchy' than Starcraft. Multiplayer Starcraft was always a turn off for me, as it gets so focused to managing the total clicks, and super micro managing. Though Sins has more depth imo also.

Don't forget DOTA 2, which is a team-oriented RTS. Has a lot of depth, though not as much as Sins.

ah, gotcha...

Don't forget DOTA 2, which is a team-oriented RTS. Has a lot of depth, though not as much as Sins.

I have never gotten into the MOBA format games. In general I don't tend to seek out pvp type games. I'm a much bigger fan of co-op

ah, gotcha...

Yeah you can throw that in there. I kind of consider DOTA and DOTA 2 and League of Legends in a different category than a traditional RTS; I think some people call them "action RTS" games or something. I've never played DOTA but it's similar to League of Legends which I've played at least a little bit of. (I suck)

Anyone here get sucked in by Terraria? It's a 2D Minecraft-style game, but with decidedly more flair (lightsabers, blasters, chainsaws, jetpacks) and an endgame (bosses to summon, a hardmode that activates after beating a certain boss) to boot.

I guess I'm the only dude in here that thought Tomb Raider blew goats for nickles

What didn't you like? I thought it was great. I really liked the darker tone than the sometimes campy older games.

It just didn't hold my interest in the least. I guess i'm being overly pragmatic, but it was pitfall with good graphics. I wasn't a fan of RE either...

Um...technically, Uncharted and the old Tomb Raiders are essentially pitfall with guns and good graphics.

I'm sure David Crane appreciates your allegiance to his Atari 2600 Activision product, but it's 2013...let it go. :)

---

And I just beat BioShock: Infinite last night. Ending really rustled my jimmies, to say the least. Complete and utter mind f**k.

I will get around to that one sooner or later, but if you are looking for another title that leaves you thinking after the game is over, check out Spec Ops: The Line

I'll have to check this out then...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been recently playing Call Of Duty World at War. IMO it's the only good COD. Plus I love the original zombies and I can really get into the story. Been playing the multiplayer with some friends on the 360 as well.

Neverwinter is a decent effort. If you've played Star Trek Online, you'll notice a lot of similarities in how certain things are setup. But it will be a change if you haven't played an action type MMO where you are not specifically selecting your target by clicking or with the Tab key. Instead, you're hovering the reticle over your target and using your skills to attack or heal, etc. The graphics are on the low end, especially if you look at raw texture resolution and detail, but they do a good job with what they've got and the aesthetics are nice.

I think the biggest boon to the game will be The Foundry, which is a very polished and powerful way for players to create their own content. It's entirely possible (and has already been done) for people to create multi adventure arcs full of good writing and story telling. If you're into the creation side of things, The Foundry is a fantastic thing. And of course it offers a lot of variety for players to see new content and stories.

It wouldn't ever be a "main" MMO for me, but it's a nice diversion. And it's easy to sit down and accomplish plenty in an hour or two, so it doesn't have to be a huge time sink. Things like crafting (which can happen while you're offline, sorta like The Old Republic) can also be done from a web interface without the need to log into the game itself.

Edit - Oh, and even though they insist on calling Neverwinter an Open Beta right now, it's really a soft launch. There are no character wipes going forward, so if you play and happen to like it, you won't lose anything once the full launch comes around.