The Official "What Are You Playing Now?" Thread

It's an extremely good game. ARR is the type of game that can pull off a required subscription fee (lots of sub fee options still out there in hybrid models, though). For one, it's very good as a game, it's beautiful, and the attention to detail is stunning (for example, stars twinkle, the sky actually rotates, the moon moves independent from the sky and goes through phases, etc). But more than anything, it's Final Fantasy, and FF has a huge built in fan base, many of whom are older, still willing to pay sub fees, and are actually looking for the small amount of filtering a sub fee does with the player base.

1.xx was a decent game when it closed down, but it was so fundamentally flawed in terms of game engine and coding that it could not be saved.

Edit - Meant to add that Wildstar is also going to charge sub fees. I've felt we we're going to see a return to some games attempting sub fees for a while, which is already happening. They'll have to be very good games to pull it off long term, though, and more than likely many of them will be using sub fees for as long as they can with a planned switch to F2P or hybrid down the road.

ARR is about the only new game right now that I feel can pull it off long term. Elder Scrolls is a very underwhelming game. And don't forget that FFXI still requires a sub fee, and SE has been making good money off that game since it launched. ARR will be no different, except it actually appeals to a wider audience and will do better than XI.

Rome 2: Total War

Huge, fun game. Typical CA launch - lots of bugs, balance issues, bad choices, etc. It'll develop into a good vanilla game through patches. Hopefully it's reasonably moddable, as they claim they want it to be, so a lot more can be done with it beyond what the offical patches should fix. Highly recommended as long as you know what you're getting into with a TW franchise launch. If not, wait for the patches.

Resident Evil 6--just got done with 5 on the PC, and instead of getting all the stupid emblems and crap, I figured I'd just go after and beat 6.

Also, Dead Rising 2 on consoles. Guess I'm on a Capcom Zombie kick at this point.

Opinions varied wildly on 6. It's seriously split right down the middle... half of people absolutely despised it and the other half thought it was a solid game.

I loved RE4. Revolutionized the series. For some reason, had a hard time getting into 5. It's ok, but didn't captivate me like did back in the day.

Resident Evil 6--just got done with 5 on the PC, and instead of getting all the stupid emblems and crap, I figured I'd just go after and beat 6.

Also, Dead Rising 2 on consoles. Guess I'm on a Capcom Zombie kick at this point.

Opinions varied wildly on 6. It's seriously split right down the middle... half of people absolutely despised it and the other half thought it was a solid game.

I loved RE4. Revolutionized the series. For some reason, had a hard time getting into 5. It's ok, but didn't captivate me like did back in the day.

Same here. I'm disappointed that RE4 HD and the Code: Veronica HD versions aren't available on Steam yet. I've heard great things about Revelations...may pick that up. RE6 is better in some aspects, but is worse in others...so I'm not sure how much longer I'll stick with it.

Also been getting into Orcs Must Die 2 with my brother-from-another-mother back in Nebraska via the PC. Great co-op fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Rome 2: Total War

Huge, fun game. Typical CA launch - lots of bugs, balance issues, bad choices, etc. It'll develop into a good vanilla game through patches. Hopefully it's reasonably moddable, as they claim they want it to be, so a lot more can be done with it beyond what the offical patches should fix. Highly recommended as long as you know what you're getting into with a TW franchise launch. If not, wait for the patches.

To me that game is so horrid, I went back to Medieval 2 total war. I'll check back in 6 months and see if they got their act together.

• 1 month later...

Started "Dishonored". Not a bad game, but a little boring at this point. Very similar to "Bio-Shock".

Yup. Somewhat similar, like the ability to complete the missions using your own methods (stealth vs. slaughter)...but it is rather reminiscent of BioShock.

That's not necessarily a *bad* thing, though...

Started "Dishonored". Not a bad game, but a little boring at this point. Very similar to "Bio-Shock".

Yup. Somewhat similar, like the ability to complete the missions using your own methods (stealth vs. slaughter)...but it is rather reminiscent of BioShock.

That's not necessarily a *bad* thing, though...

Nope. It was a pretty decent game overall.

Just purchased COD: Ghosts.......soooooooooo much better than Black Ops 2 already IMO. Infinity Ward did a nice job thus far......gotta play it more to really get a good judgement on it though.

Yup. Going through the 1P now, and will hop online to try the Aliens co-op and multiplayer soon.

Framerate for PC is all over the place, though.

Just purchased COD: Ghosts.......soooooooooo much better than Black Ops 2 already IMO. Infinity Ward did a nice job thus far......gotta play it more to really get a good judgement on it though.

Yup. Going through the 1P now, and will hop online to try the Aliens co-op and multiplayer soon.

Framerate for PC is all over the place, though.

I unlocked the "Extinction Mode." I started off playing Squads and that helped me get up to speed a bit. Sometimes online I wreck people, and then other times, I get totally stomped. Thus far, the "Honey Badger" is definitely my favorite weapon. I am trying out some of the SMG's, but honestly, with how friggin HUGE the maps are.....I believe running an assault rifle is a better bet.