"An offer has been made"

If the Big Ten could pull of ND, Nebraska, Texas, and either A&M or Missouri, you would expect Rutgers or Syracuse to be next. With that kind of line up, we would be selling a much more desirable package to the coveted East coast media outlets.

To me, Rutgers won't do jack for market/media outlets. They simply don't have the product, and I don't know that they ever will.

I don't think Rutgers ever will. However, I think there are enough fans of the package we'd have in place on the east coast to warrant consideration in that market. Maybe 20 years from now Rutgers will be more relevant there, but probably not. Outside of basketball, the same probably goes for Syracuse.

If we join the Big 10, does our schedule for this season change?

More than likely not. If a Big XII supernova were to occur like some are speculating with the Pac-10 you may see teams anxious to join if they can begin sharing revenue immediately. I highly doubt anything would impact this season however, we're almost too late in the game for that under any scenario.

Actually I wouldn't mind playing Texas every year if both team end up joining the B 10. I know some don't like the word rivalry, but since there is some history between the two programs ... well, let's back up.

If Texas is the only South Division school joining, and the Aggies aren't included, then I could see the "possibility" that Texas would "eventually" look at us as their second biggest rival, and Texas possibly being Nebraska's first. But that would depend if they both play every year. Even though Texas owns us right now record-wise, they don't own us as far as the competitiveness of the games.

I'm 99.9 percent sure that no matter what would happen, UT will continue to play OU. There was a big debate in another thread over whether Iowa would be a rival -- I think most Husker fans on this board said "no" because of the lack of history. I do agree that Texas perhaps could develop into a faster and bigger one. :dunno

All of the talk lately has been about how the Pac 10 has become the driving force behind the expansion process being sped up, but I will be surprised if anything happens between the Texas schools and the Pac 10 anytime soon. At least anything official. I doubt Texas just signs on with whatever being one of 16 teams brings with it. There will also be some snags with what texas wants from the Pac 10 to sign. I figure the negotiations will drag out. It isn't nearly the liquid situation some would have us believe. NU and MU, on the other hand, will be happy to have exactly what everyone else in the Big 10 gets.

I think what we're finding out is that Nebraska has been in discussions on some level with the Big 10 since this whole thing began in December, or possibly longer ago than that. December is just when the Big 10 announced their intention of looking further into expansion, so obviously the conversations have been going on longer than that, at least internally with the Big 10.

It's hard to say when Nebraska was brought into the conversation, but it's pretty safe to say we're ahead of wherever Texas and Co. are with the Pac-10. The Pac-10 announcement seems very reactionary to me, even though the Pac-10 announced a possibility of expansion in December, as well. Curiously enough, their announcement also included a 12-18 month timeline. It's only now that the possibility of Nebraska going to the Big 10 seems very real that the Pac-10 has ramped up their time frame, and the whole Texas group became involved.

We are either known to be heading to the Big 10, or the Pac 10 thing is definitely reactionary. The Big 10 expansion scenarios started to get pretty ridiculous with teams like Georgia Tech being talked about. If the Pac 10 is coming as far east as Texas and Oklahoma for teams, why hasn't Nebraska been mentioned. You have to figure we are more attractive than some of the teams in the six rumored to be heading from the Big 12 to the Pac 10. If the Pac 10 wants to strike first and make a mega-conference, we would be more attractive than some. We aren't in the Big 10 yet, so why no mention of us being a Pac 10 target? Someone in the media would pass on a Pac 10 University president stating that if a Big 12 raid were on he'd prefer we were involved.

There are a couple of possible reasons that hasn't happened. Either we are already gone and would obviously not be interested in the uncertainty of a Pac 10 move or the Pac 10 office threw the Big 12 south raid out there as a favor to a team in a really large southern state to make us blink.

There are a couple of possible reasons that hasn't happened. Either we are already gone and would obviously not be interested in the uncertainty of a Pac 10 move or the Pac 10 office threw the Big 12 south raid out there as a favor to a team in a really large southern state to make us blink.

That's it right there. There hasn't been a single whiff of interest from Nebraska in the Pac-10, and they aren't offering us, even though we make way more sense than Colorado. The reality is that we're going to the Big 10, and everyone involved in these decisions knows it.

Take it fwiw:

http://northwestern.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=57&tid=143839427&mid=143839427&sid=901&style=2

Breaking: Big Ten Offers Texas, Texas A&M, Missouri and Notre Dame

Just spoke with my friend at the Big Ten. The offer to Missouri is contingent upon Texas AND/OR ND joining. Will post more details as I hear.

I believe this is the same cat who started the internet boom a couple weeks ago.