Happy Jayhawk....

jayhawk

How does it feel to be whored out by your AD?

They did what they felt they had to do. Very little pride can be had in whoring one's self out. But they were in survival mode and did what they felt was best. No matter how it feels and what the realities truly are. When Texas wants something all of the others will come a running.

Texas owns the rest of the Big 12. They know it and so do the rest of the teams. What a great recruiting tool NU now has. I can hear it now. Son do you want to play for a school that is an equal, stood up for themselves, and is on the way up or do you want to play for a Texas lap dog and have to hear it from their players each and every play?

Projections are Texas 25 mil, A&M and OU 20 mil, everyone else 17mil. Good luck trying to keep up with the Joneses.

This is true for Texas, ATM and OU......at $20M a piece guaranteed however not so much for the rest. At the projected rate of $135M tops annually for the 10 schools, that leaves around $70-75M for the other 7. So straight line that leaves the rest with $10M-10.7 each. Adding into the variability is their tier system with TT an OSU following possibly second, while the rest are in the 3rd tier.

There will be lots of talk of how we are all Texas's B****, but lets look at the initial reports

1) Schools like ISU, Baylor and K-state, who really might have been screwed (I like K-state's odds the best), are now looking to have thier conference fees double. Obliion to a huge raise, not bad.

2) Apparetnly A&M and OU get about as much or as much as UT. So UT is not at some massive advantage there

3) Longhorns could have their own network... Well, they have by far the most fans. Baylors brings basically nothing, but gets 2/3 what Texas does. Sounds like a good deal to me. If theirown network still leaves the rest of us with money close to or on par with the SEC

4) We get to keep most of our rivals. I know the Pac 16 was a little sexier, but Ihappen to like our old rivals in their roles and am glad to have em....

Could the whole thing fall to crap in 5-10 years, maybe... That is a distinct possibility... But I am glad our old Big 8 is mostly together. Will miss the Huskers, but I think the Big 10 should be nice for you all minus the loss of a lot of your own historical rivals, best wishes...

And....what do you think your TV revenues are going to be when TU starts their Bevo Network? Enjoy it while you can, because the network that shows Big 12 games will have a hard time selling advertising when nobody in Texas will be watching.

There will be lots of talk of how we are all Texas's B****, but lets look at the initial reports

1) Schools like ISU, Baylor and K-state, who really might have been screwed (I like K-state's odds the best), are now looking to have thier conference fees double. Obliion to a huge raise, not bad.

2) Apparetnly A&M and OU get about as much or as much as UT. So UT is not at some massive advantage there

3) Longhorns could have their own network... Well, they have by far the most fans. Baylors brings basically nothing, but gets 2/3 what Texas does. Sounds like a good deal to me. If theirown network still leaves the rest of us with money close to or on par with the SEC

4) We get to keep most of our rivals. I know the Pac 16 was a little sexier, but Ihappen to like our old rivals in their roles and am glad to have em....

Could the whole thing fall to crap in 5-10 years, maybe... That is a distinct possibility... But I am glad our old Big 8 is mostly together. Will miss the Huskers, but I think the Big 10 should be nice for you all minus the loss of a lot of your own historical rivals, best wishes...

And....what do you think your TV revenues are going to be when TU starts their Bevo Network? Enjoy it while you can, because the network that shows Big 12 games will have a hard time selling advertising when nobody in Texas will be watching.

There's no doubt we did the right thing academically. And in some ways I'm happy that the poor sisters of our former conference got thrown a bone.

On the other hand, had we known this is the outcome we got hosed to pay a big buy in and like it or now we owe a big settlement that we agreed to pay the conference we are leaving.

I am sure the Big 10 thought that all the Big 12 would break up since Texas said we were the only team they cared about leaving. Looks like Texas played the Big 10 and was happy to get rid of NU to have more money. Unfortunately the weak sisters are going to get a lot more money than we did from the Big 12 and more than we get for several years buying into the Big 10 and paying off the Big 12. Over time I think we are in good shape. But it is not the slam dunk it was when the Big 12 was disintegrating. Any Husker has to worry about our ability to recruit in Texas with the Big 12 in tact and all the teams playing in Texas much of the time. We are likely to have slim pickins in the Lone Star State and have to compete in the Big 10 states for athletes. I thought also if KU and Misery went to the Mountain West we would have much more advantage in the KC area and Misery in general. Now that is not going to happen.

Now if this still breaks down and the Big 12 is no more, we have it made. We still have it made academically and students to come will be thankful that they are in a Big 10 elite school. But with the wash in money and what I see is diminished ability to attract texas/Missouri athletes, I am not so sure that from an athletic standpoint the move is going to be as great as at first blush. We made the move--make the most of it. GBR

Kansas and the rest came out of this the best the could have hoped for. This was Texas's plan from the start I think. They wanted control, they got it. Nothing Kansas or Nebraska for that matter could do about it.

The only real loser in this is going to be Colorado I think. Not as much money more travel.

Kansas will be fine with this deal. Way better than a stick in the eye.

Hopefully down the road, everyone will know just how greedy Texas was in this whole deal.

Here's the thing that interests me. So Texas starts their own network. I will assume it will be based on the Big Ten's model which has proven to be successful. The rest of the Big 12 schools are going to have some problems. Is Texas going to start demanding the rights to games taking place in places other than in Texas? Will someone in Kansas have to buy the Texas network to watch their own Jayhawks? Even home games? I think the answer is pretty obvious. If Texas is already demanding, and is obviously capable of securing, what it does from the other members, do you really think it stops with just these exit penalties and the already uneven revenue sharing in place now? Does the future bring a scenario where Texas and their network demands the TV rights to the other members' product? Does the Texas network become a de facto Big 12 network, but with all revenue headed to Austin? These networks need 'product' to show. 1 University alone would be hard pressed to have enough 'product' to fill the network. Where are they going to get the programming from if not from the other members? Very interesting possibility in my opinion.

Here's the thing that interests me. So Texas starts their own network. I will assume it will be based on the Big Ten's model which has proven to be successful. The rest of the Big 12 schools are going to have some problems. Is Texas going to start demanding the rights to games taking place in places other than in Texas? Will someone in Kansas have to buy the Texas network to watch their own Jayhawks? Even home games? I think the answer is pretty obvious. If Texas is already demanding, and is obviously capable of securing, what it does from the other members, do you really think it stops with just these exit penalties and the already uneven revenue sharing in place now? Does the future bring a scenario where Texas and their network demands the TV rights to the other members' product? Does the Texas network become a de facto Big 12 network, but with all revenue headed to Austin? These networks need 'product' to show. 1 University alone would be hard pressed to have enough 'product' to fill the network. Where are they going to get the programming from if not from the other members? Very interesting possibility in my opinion.

That's what I've been wondering too. Just have to wait and see how it plays out. I'm just glad Nebraska's not going to be in their conference long enough to find out.

BTW, welcome to HuskerBoard!

Enjoy your stay. :thumbs

Why do people worry about "traditional rivalries" of the old Big 8? The only true rival was OU. That's it. Colorado and KSU had strong periods but neither was sustained... The Big 8 died 15 years ago, the Big 12 was never more than a glued up, pieced together piece of crap so why would we care that the glue finally gave and the crap has fallen apart...

Kansas a rival? No, it was a habit (100+ years, but irrelevant 90+ of those years...).

The Big 10 has forgotten more tradition/history than the Big 12 ever had...

• Fire 1

Why do people worry about "traditional rivalries" of the old Big 8? The only true rival was OU. That's it. Colorado and KSU had strong periods but neither was sustained... The Big 8 died 15 years ago, the Big 12 was never more than a glued up, pieced together piece of crap so why would we care that the glue finally gave and the crap has fallen apart...

Kansas a rival? No, it was a habit (100+ years, but irrelevant 90+ of those years...).

:yeah

Can I hit the +1 button like a million times? I mentioned here before that this would be a really a much bigger shock to make the move if it was from the Big 8 to the Big Ten. Now not so much. We lost the only rival "WE" ever really knew in our lifetimes, and for the rest of the opponents who think we're turning our backs on the history and tradition - so you're saying you LIKED getting waxed by NU a good majority of the time? meh, not a big loss when you look at the combined records over the years.

See ya in the rear view!

I'd agree somewhat however the OU, CU and to a degree MU rivalry were very real. Lots of bad blood between NU and CU/MU. A lot of Husker fans are really going to miss playing them like OU. I know I will. The rest, I don't think so. Actually I'll miss playing Texas way more then OU and I'm sure that's true for a ton of Husker fans. Would love to keep Texas on the schedule.

There's no doubt we did the right thing academically. And in some ways I'm happy that the poor sisters of our former conference got thrown a bone.

On the other hand, had we known this is the outcome we got hosed to pay a big buy in and like it or now we owe a big settlement that we agreed to pay the conference we are leaving.

I am sure the Big 10 thought that all the Big 12 would break up since Texas said we were the only team they cared about leaving. Looks like Texas played the Big 10 and was happy to get rid of NU to have more money. Unfortunately the weak sisters are going to get a lot more money than we did from the Big 12 and more than we get for several years buying into the Big 10 and paying off the Big 12. Over time I think we are in good shape. But it is not the slam dunk it was when the Big 12 was disintegrating. Any Husker has to worry about our ability to recruit in Texas with the Big 12 in tact and all the teams playing in Texas much of the time. We are likely to have slim pickins in the Lone Star State and have to compete in the Big 10 states for athletes. I thought also if KU and Misery went to the Mountain West we would have much more advantage in the KC area and Misery in general. Now that is not going to happen.

Now if this still breaks down and the Big 12 is no more, we have it made. We still have it made academically and students to come will be thankful that they are in a Big 10 elite school. But with the wash in money and what I see is diminished ability to attract texas/Missouri athletes, I am not so sure that from an athletic standpoint the move is going to be as great as at first blush. We made the move--make the most of it. GBR

They got thrown a bone alright. No meat on it at all. Soon to be followed by Texas' bone.

Unfortunately for all the the bg 12 remaining schools they aren't going to get what they think they will get. No matter how you slice it, their TV rights aren't worth as much without NU and CU as they are WITH NU and CU. After a couple years when it becomes clear that UT and OU are the only teams that are ever going to be THAT big of a draw the payment for the other teams games will decline. In the end they'll make less for having let two schools go. UT will just get the biggest share. I seem to recall reading some article that said the Big Ten would cover our penalty.. Not sure about that.. but they're supposed to 'make NU whole' so maybe they will. If that happens the windfall that gets all the schools to $25 to $17 mill will be a one year deal. They'll finish will $12 million or so and UT may get $18million when it's back to it's final levels.

I doubt any Big 12 school will ever see $20million for their TV rights. Not for the next 20 years anyway.

No need to be rude to our fallen big 8 brother. But you come on here jayhawk and ask for this discussion so you get it.

I find it very sad as to what has happened. Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa St, Missouri, and Baylor can sit here and talk all you want about how good this deal is and how much better it will be for you. Its not a better deal. The money isnt promised, your house is built on toothpicks, and your lead guy is holdin your hand while gripping a knife behind his back. It doesnt take rocket surgery to figure this out. Please dont come on here and try and spin a screw job into a positive outlook. Guys in prison getting buttf***ed dont go around talking about how positive the experience is. They do what they need to do to stay alive, and thats just what your and everyone else did. I wish it didnt half to be like that, and frankly i wish the texas schools (besides baylor) would just pack up. Then you could take a couple more people and have a 10 conference bcs league. But what texas did to you and the so called lower big 12 teams was wrong. They played the big 10 and the pac 10 like a finely written ochestra.

I hope the best for you, your team and the rest of the big 12 - 2 but this deal is not nor will ever be good.