Some thoughts on Nebraska and the latest fallout from NCAA investigations

I think the culture of Nebraska is helpful in this situation. This isn't LA with glitz and glamor all over and people driving $70,000 cars probably isn't anything new. In the SEC it just seems to me as an outside observer that it's kind of a don't ask don't tell policy towards this sort of thing. It probably changed for a while when Alabama got beat down by the NCAA, but with the depth of talent in the SEC, it's easier for agents to maximize their exposure to potential clients and find that one or two who would be willing to grab some cash. Agents, especially outside agents, would stick out like a sore thumb in Lincoln.

Spot on Josh. It’s popular these days for NU fans——especially the Internets crowd——to dismiss this as homespun folklore. But it is a LOT easier to keep tabs on guys in Lincoln than in LA.

It's almost like you can't be a top recruiter without a little sleaziness. :/

Well, I take that back. It's only his name that's popped up. We know nothing yet.

Yeah, it sure seems that way. And when you mix in zealous wealthy boosters, well, NCAA sanctions are bound to follow.

I might be in the minority with this opinion, but I don't see how stripping Bush's Heisman does anything for you. Sure, the "university" doesn't deserve it, but Reggie Bush does at the very least. Whatever benefits he received, they didn't make him a physically gifted athlete.

Stripping Bush of the Heisman makes perfect sense. Would Bush have gone to USC without the illegal perks he got? Without the team surrounding him at USC, does he perform half as well as he did?

There are Heisman-worthy players all over the country, but since many of them play on weaker teams, they don't stand out as much. Bush stood out because he was on a team of all-stars, a team that may not have been put together without those impermissible benefits.

Taking away his Heisman also sends a message to other top-tier athletes that there are consequences for violating NCAA rules. You don't get to take the illegal perks without losing your benefits.

I might be in the minority with this opinion, but I don't see how stripping Bush's Heisman does anything for you. Sure, the "university" doesn't deserve it, but Reggie Bush does at the very least. Whatever benefits he received, they didn't make him a physically gifted athlete.

I agree with your point, but IMO it's more about the school's view on cheating. Do you continue to celebrate and memorialize a player who broke the rules and cheated?

I agree with your point, but IMO it's more about the school's view on cheating. Do you continue to celebrate and memorialize a player who broke the rules and cheated?

I've heard that Bush might be forced to give up his Heisman due to being essentially considered inelligble for the season, thus he could not be the winner.

Saban had some words on this subject. Pretty much just came down to the fact that the agents that attempt or do give college kids money are faultless and nothing bad happens to them outside of getting their name out there for giving the money (or perks) away. Saban wants something to happen to the agents, instead of placing the complete blame and punishment on the 18-22 yo college kid and the University they are studying at.

Stripping Bush of the Heisman makes perfect sense. Would Bush have gone to USC without the illegal perks he got? Without the team surrounding him at USC, does he perform half as well as he did?

There are Heisman-worthy players all over the country, but since many of them play on weaker teams, they don't stand out as much. Bush stood out because he was on a team of all-stars, a team that may not have been put together without those impermissible benefits.

Taking away his Heisman also sends a message to other top-tier athletes that there are consequences for violating NCAA rules. You don't get to take the illegal perks without losing your benefits.

Or, you keep the Heisman at USC and use it as a reminder to never do what this kid did.

The problem I see with this is that EVERYBODY still knows who Reggie Bush is, and they will continue to know who he is for a very long time. If you're going to strip the Heisman, why not strip the wins and the championships? It seems like USC is making Bush a fall guy for their mistakes, rather than making everybody responsible for the mistakes as a collective whole. Plus, if you're going to strip the Heisman, then why not take away the revenue that he supplied the school? IMHO, taking away the Heisman doesn't change anything and it makes Bush out to be the fall guy, when the university itself isn't innocent.

Distancing themselves from Bush doesn't change the fact that he was still the best player in college football that year. If you strip the Heisman, then strip everything else you benefited from as a university. Don't just take away a Heisman so you feel better about yourselves.

Celebrating and memorializing him isn't right. But, they still celebrate and memoralize guys like O.J. Simpson, and what he did was far worse than anything Bush did. Two completely different situations, yes, but it's still kind of interesting.

I just think stripping the Heisman is futile. If you strip the Heisman, then strip something from the university. Take away wins, take away championships, take away the revenue you earned from having Bush as the face of your program, etc. Pulling the Heisman and distancing yourself from Bush, while doing nothing else, makes you pathetic imho.

I know I will get flamed for this............ Frankly I don't care......

But I'm still awfully sceptical about the whole Suh in his "mothers- land rover" hitting a parked car at 2:00 am................ and the whole thing just goes away........ From day one I didn't think we got the whole story and still don't think we did or have-

But I'm still awfully sceptical about the whole Suh in his "mothers- land rover" hitting a parked car at 2:00 am................ and the whole thing just goes away........ From day one I didn't think we got the whole story and still don't think we did or have-

I doubt you get flamed. I think most everyone thought there was more to the story. We just never got it, and likely never will.

I don't think you need to be skeptical.

Or, you keep the Heisman at USC and use it as a reminder to never do what this kid did.

The problem I see with this is that EVERYBODY still knows who Reggie Bush is, and they will continue to know who he is for a very long time. If you're going to strip the Heisman, why not strip the wins and the championships? It seems like USC is making Bush a fall guy for their mistakes, rather than making everybody responsible for the mistakes as a collective whole. Plus, if you're going to strip the Heisman, then why not take away the revenue that he supplied the school? IMHO, taking away the Heisman doesn't change anything and it makes Bush out to be the fall guy, when the university itself isn't innocent.

Distancing themselves from Bush doesn't change the fact that he was still the best player in college football that year. If you strip the Heisman, then strip everything else you benefited from as a university. Don't just take away a Heisman so you feel better about yourselves.

You don't punish someone by letting them keep a prize they won under illicit circumstances. Bush wasn't a victim here - he knew he was getting illegal benefits. What is it about Reggie Bush that makes you think he should get to keep the trophy? Why not strip the wins and championships? I'm all for that, too. They cheated, and they should e punished. But this tangent about USC making Bush the fall guy... USC didn't receive illicit benefits, Reggie Bush did. Bush's actions were a direct violation; USC benefited indirectly. If anyone should be punished first, it's Bush. Personally, I think they should both be punished.

And no, Bush wasn't the best player in college football that year, Vince Young was. Bush was the most popular player on the most popular team, that's all. Vince was the better player, and proved it on the field.