Osborne "Comfortable" with Stadium Expansion

I would imagine we'll be seeing a larger and redesigned East Stadium coming up here in the next few years.

Tom Osborne 'comfortable' expanding Memorial Stadium

With survey results showing significant demand to expand Memorial Stadium, Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne said Friday that he’d “feel comfortable” adding about 5,000 seats to the 87-year-old facility.

Osborne told the Journal Star somewhere around 1,500 to 2,000 of those would be club seats, with a likely addition of between 20 to 30 skyboxes. All these seats would be in the East Stadium.

While being clear to point out that nothing has been finalized and that the plan has not yet been approved by the Board of Regents, Osborne said: “We have discussed this a little bit with the administration just to let them know the results of the survey.”

Click the headline for the full story.

I've always thought the stadium needed something added to the East side. Hell they might as well make it symmetrical and add luxury boxes to the East and South, similar to what they did with the North end zone.

Could you imagine another big screen on the south endzone and matching skybox on the east stadium :blink:

Without mentioning any names, I have some close friends and family in the facilities department at the university who have said that the planned expansion is basically a complete renovation of the east stadium, including the addition of skybox/club seating at the top. It is supposed to expand far enough that the statue will need to be moved, no idea where to yet. I've also heard that they've all but publicly stated that they'll break ground as soon as this season is over (Because really, are the reagents going to reject this?) to have it ready for our first season in the 10.

But you didn't hear it from me...

Without mentioning any names, I have some close friends and family in the facilities department at the university who have said that the planned expansion is basically a complete renovation of the east stadium, including the addition of skybox/club seating at the top. It is supposed to expand far enough that the statue will need to be moved, no idea where to yet. I've also heard that they've all but publicly stated that they'll break ground as soon as this season is over (Because really, are the reagents going to reject this?) to have it ready for our first season in the 10.

9 months is pretty short construction for what you are proposing....... Not saying it can't be done- but I'd expect it to take almost double that.

in order to fully renovate east stadium and add suites it will take close to 2 years to fully complete the project. My question is how are they going to keep the integrity of east stadium without completely rebuilding it? 9 months wont get that complete before the 2011 season. Osborne said thursday night on Sports Nightly that he imagines the project being complete around the same time as the arena.

Are you talking about the statue of the Blackshirts tackling (murdering) that KSU player? If so, that is a LONG ways back!

9 months is pretty short construction for what you are proposing....... Not saying it can't be done- but I'd expect it to take almost double that.

I agree, just the design process alone is going to take some time, not to mention the time to renovate the east stadium and complete construction. Can't happen in that time frame, in my opinion, unless the design process is already done.

I agree, just the design process alone is going to take some time, not to mention the time to renovate the east stadium and complete construction. Can't happen in that time frame, in my opinion, unless the design process is already done.

I would be willing to bet the design process and much of the background engineering is either already done or very close to being done.

I would be willing to bet the design process and much of the background engineering is either already done or very close to being done.

This. I would imagine that many scenarios involving expansion had been commissioned before the poll was even put on the website.