Most egregiuos calls against the Huskers

Sometimes we get bad calls. Sometimes we get gifts. I guess is all balances out in the end.

But that 1994 OB against Fla State for the MNC——it didn’t seem to balance out for us. We had over 100 yds in penalties in that championship game. Two particularly egregious calls come to mind:

The *highly* suspect late hit 15 yard call against Barron Miles which helped put FSU in position to kick the winning field goal with less than a minute to go. This call may have cost us the trophy.

The phantom clipping penalty on Corey Dixon’s 71 yd punt return TD in the first quarter.

I might get reamed for this but IMHO FSU was the better team that night. Yes - the plays mentioned above were bad calls and maybe the Skers should have won...but I still think FSU was the better team. Don't kill me Huskerboard!!! :dumdum

Don't worry this isn't Shaggybevo or Orangebloods where they eat their own over there. You can have an opinion and not get slammed for it.

Hard to say whether NU or FSU was the better team. But if those two bad calls had gone the other way NU would have another trophy in the trophy case. Probably.

Very true

I just watched "Tom Osborne: More Than Winning" & even Bobby Bowden admitted FSU got outplayed that day. If I remember correctly, his statement went something like "that game was an example of the team that played better not winning in the end."

It had no impact on the outcome of the game but a call that made me madder than any other was last year against Baylor when Suh got a penalty for "slamming the QB". It was just like they thought he tackled too hard or something...they claimed it was after the whistle but you can clearly hear the whistle the instant the qb hits the ground....no way Suh could have stopped. Oh well :throwdabones1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPcB-z9zqNw

I laughed my a$$ off when they made that call. I wasn't even mad. For the rest of his life, Nick Florence will go down as the QB who "got tackled too hard" in a football game. :laughpound

Why is that even a penalty? Or is it even a REAL one?

Theres a penalty called Unnecessary Roughness put that wasn't even close from being unnecessary because the play wasnt even over yet. Suh was a target for the officals all of last year because of his reputation that year and the year before and the way he played his position.

It had no impact on the outcome of the game but a call that made me madder than any other was last year against Baylor when Suh got a penalty for "slamming the QB". It was just like they thought he tackled too hard or something...they claimed it was after the whistle but you can clearly hear the whistle the instant the qb hits the ground....no way Suh could have stopped. Oh well :throwdabones1:

I laughed my a$$ off when they made that call. I wasn't even mad. For the rest of his life, Nick Florence will go down as the QB who "got tackled too hard" in a football game. :laughpound

Why is that even a penalty? Or is it even a REAL one?

Theres a penalty called Unnecessary Roughness put that wasn't even close from being unnecessary because the play wasnt even over yet. Suh was a target for the officals all of last year because of his reputation that year and the year before and the way he played his position.

That itself is egregious. It's absolute crap how Suh was handicapped last year for being too awesome.

Didn't see the kick return in the '78 OU-NU game listed. Ruud annihilated Kelly Phelps on the play. Refs ruled no fumble. :LOLtartar

Straight on kicker - cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pByDA7TmQ_w

He's unconscious Keith, how's he holding onto the ball still? I happened to be sitting low in the stands right where that happened. One of the best games ever in Memorial!

That is a sick hit!

I love the one comment over there: "Phelps had stepped out of bounds, the crowd was so loud that nobody could hear the whistle stopping play- correct call by refs, OU ball."

If he stepped out, why the hell did they mark the ball where he got KTFO?? :lol:

• Fire 1

That itself is egregious. It's absolute crap how Suh was handicapped last year for being too awesome.

Heres a horsecollar that was called on Suh which I don't think is a horsecollar. This call didn't affect the game but Suh did grab Gabberts jersey to bring him down but where I think the horsecollar stops is when Suh puts his left arm around this side of Gilbert's helmet and plants him forward into the turf instead of pulling Gilbert backwards like a horsecollar would look like. When they called this penalty I litterally went bonkers and got upset and felt that the referees were going to be strict with our defense for the rest of the season especially Suh because of the attitude of the players and the way they played physical on defense. How many unsportsmanlike conducts did we have in Bo's first year and in 09? It happens in between the 2:30-2:40 mark

Sometimes we get bad calls. Sometimes we get gifts. I guess is all balances out in the end.

But that 1994 OB against Fla State for the MNC——it didn’t seem to balance out for us. We had over 100 yds in penalties in that championship game. Two particularly egregious calls come to mind:

The *highly* suspect late hit 15 yard call against Barron Miles which helped put FSU in position to kick the winning field goal with less than a minute to go. This call may have cost us the trophy.

The phantom clipping penalty on Corey Dixon’s 71 yd punt return TD in the first quarter.

I might get reamed for this but IMHO FSU was the better team that night. Yes - the plays mentioned above were bad calls and maybe the Skers should have won...but I still think FSU was the better team. Don't kill me Huskerboard!!! :dumdum

Don't worry this isn't Shaggybevo or Orangebloods where they eat their own over there. You can have an opinion and not get slammed for it.

Hard to say whether NU or FSU was the better team. But if those two bad calls had gone the other way NU would have another trophy in the trophy case. Probably.

Very true

I just watched "Tom Osborne: More Than Winning" & even Bobby Bowden admitted FSU got outplayed that day. If I remember correctly, his statement went something like "that game was an example of the team that played better not winning in the end."

I think Bobby said" The better team didn't win today, we got outplayed and outcoached" something along those lines. :dunno

One of my favorite lines from an announcer ever came from that play, "This is tackle football, isn't it?"

Great post I'd forgotten this call .... the call should have been "So bad a** it had to be wrong but we don't know why."

Yeah I'd go with the fsu phantom block then the 82 psu then the 98 ksu facemask then the texas game (i only put this game last because of the actual controversy as to what the right call should be in that situation).

While we're at it how about some other teams....even worse than all of ours (i think) was the oregon onside kick against OU several years ago. I was mad and I didn't even care who won. The OU guy is waving the ball in the air by the ref as they are trying to see who is at the bottom of the pile

The thing I've never understood about that call is, aren't penalties unreviewable? And touching the ball before it goes ten yards is a penalty, so wouldn't that make it unreviewable? Not that it matters, since we know that the refs can just make up rules about what's reviewable and what's not, haha.

One that I didn't see mentioned, and it didn't really matter because we won the game, but in 2005 against Baylor there was a fumble into the endzone and Daniel Bullocks recovered it, then was piled on, then came out of the pile with the ball. They ruled that he had recovered it, then instant replay overturned it, without evidence of it ever being in anyone else's hands.

The 1994 Orange Bowl WAS ridiculous...I'll never forget...I was at a hotel watching the game with a bunch of my parents' friends...i was only 9 at the time...lets not forget how they ALMOST didn't let Nebraska kick the field goal at the end remember? Osborne had to get people off the field to get time put back on the clock...unfortunately we still missed the field goal...but I agree...something fishy about that game. And who could forget the Virginia Tech game...wow...the heartbreaker loss....I was pissed for a week and a half after that game...I think this all proves that we have some good karma coming our way this year