Michigan OSU split

irafreak

Last reminder. Let's keep it cool, all right folks? No personal attacks, no craziness. Please, for your best buddy knapplc? OK?

My apologies to HuskerinLibertyMO and to the Michigan fan base. I was out of line. knapplc, Liberty had every right to go off, so blame me, not him. I don't pretend to like Michigan the football team, but I respect their fans and their program, and I will buy a drink for the first Michigan fan I see who comes to Lincoln for a game. I will honor this statement. Michigan fan may hate me, but they won't hate a free beer, right? ;)

Maybe not everyone has experienced this, but I've had some of the best conversations with Longhorn fans. Kansas State fans. The entrances to Memorial Stadium states that 'Through These Gates Pass The Greatest Fans In College Football.' I saw a few posts that wanted that taken down, and it shouldn't be. Because a lot of those fans coming in aren't Husker fans. Some of the best fans coming into Memorial Stadium are not only opponents, but come because they know they'll be treated fairly, and will witness sportsmanship on all levels. They'll talk some good sports. They'll feel appreciated in Nebraska whether they win or lose.

Most Nebraskans are very gracious to opponents. Treat others as you would like to be treated. College football is more than the game, it's about the experience. Interacting with great people is why I think we do any socializing in life. We grow as individuals to understand our differences so we can dismiss our ignorance before we hate without knowing. Maybe I'll learn that in sports someday. Maybe our politicians will do the same.

Big 10 fans, Big 12 fans, enjoy the football season. Enjoy the fanfare. Enjoy the games that take us away from the craziness and the stresses of life. I may be stupid and belligerent on here, but I'll be the first to offer a friendly smile and a pulled-pork sandwich at a tailgate. Take care, and may you see some great football this year.

Last reminder. Let's keep it cool, all right folks? No personal attacks, no craziness. Please, for your best buddy knapplc? OK?

My apologies to HuskerinLibertyMO and to the Michigan fan base. I was out of line. knapplc, Liberty had every right to go off, so blame me, not him. I don't pretend to like Michigan the football team, but I respect their fans and their program, and I will buy a drink for the first Michigan fan I see who comes to Lincoln for a game. I will honor this statement. Michigan fan may hate me, but they won't hate a free beer, right? ;)

Maybe not everyone has experienced this, but I've had some of the best conversations with Longhorn fans. Kansas State fans. The entrances to Memorial Stadium states that 'Through These Gates Pass The Greatest Fans In College Football.' I saw a few posts that wanted that taken down, and it shouldn't be. Because a lot of those fans coming in aren't Husker fans. Some of the best fans coming into Memorial Stadium are not only opponents, but come because they know they'll be treated fairly, and will witness sportsmanship on all levels. They'll talk some good sports. They'll feel appreciated in Nebraska whether they win or lose.

Most Nebraskans are very gracious to opponents. Treat others as you would like to be treated. College football is more than the game, it's about the experience. Interacting with great people is why I think we do any socializing in life. We grow as individuals to understand our differences so we can dismiss our ignorance before we hate without knowing. Maybe I'll learn that in sports someday. Maybe our politicians will do the same.

Big 10 fans, Big 12 fans, enjoy the football season. Enjoy the fanfare. Enjoy the games that take us away from the craziness and the stresses of life. I may be stupid and belligerent on here, but I'll be the first to offer a friendly smile and a pulled-pork sandwich at a tailgate. Take care, and may you see some great football this year.

Nice Save! :thumbs

I almost believe you. :laughpound

If The Game isn't the last game of the season, then hopefully Michigan-Nebraska would be the last game. It hurts losing The Game at the end of the season but I understand what they mean by playing back-to-back weeks and It'd be cool to see The Game (part II) FOR the Championship.

West

Iowa

Michigan

Minnesota

Nebraska

Purdue

Wisconsin

East

Illinois

Indiana

Michigan State

Northwestern

Ohio State

Penn State

If The Game isn't the last game of the season, then hopefully Michigan-Nebraska would be the last game. It hurts losing The Game at the end of the season but I understand what they mean by playing back-to-back weeks and It'd be cool to see The Game (part II) FOR the Championship.

West

Iowa

Michigan

Minnesota

Nebraska

Purdue

Wisconsin

East

Illinois

Indiana

Michigan State

Northwestern

Ohio State

Penn State

Do you think they would split up Mich and Mich State? I was under the impression that was a pretty big rivalry. If they do just one rivalry game across divisions that would be Ohio State and would make the UM vs. MSU not happen on a regular basis.

I think this may be the only time I've seen someone split those two teams.

If they could do it like this I am all on board. We'd get UM, IA, Wiscy and Minnesota plus PSU as our cross division rivalry game...that would be great for Nebraska. Put NU vs. UM the day after Thanksgiving with OSU vs. PSU that's a heckuva line up for the day after Turkey Day.

West

Iowa

Michigan

Minnesota

Nebraska

Purdue

Wisconsin

East

Illinois

Indiana

Michigan State

Northwestern

Ohio State

Penn State

Do you think they would split up Mich and Mich State? I was under the impression that was a pretty big rivalry. If they do just one rivalry game across divisions that would be Ohio State and would make the UM vs. MSU not happen on a regular basis.

If they could do it like this I am all on board. We'd get UM, IA, Wiscy and Minnesota plus PSU as our cross division rivalry game...that would be great for Nebraska. Put NU vs. UM the day after Thanksgiving with OSU vs. PSU that's a heckuva line up for the day after Turkey Day.

It may be a big thing in-state, but it means nothing in the national scene, It has no national relevance. It goes Michigan-OSU, Michigan-ND. Hell, Michigan-Wisconsin is more of a rivalry to most of us M fans I would say.

West

Iowa

Michigan

Minnesota

Nebraska

Purdue

Wisconsin

East

Illinois

Indiana

Michigan State

Northwestern

Ohio State

Penn State

It may be a big thing in-state, but it means nothing in the national scene, It has no national relevance. It goes Michigan-OSU, Michigan-ND. Hell, Michigan-Wisconsin is more of a rivalry to most of us M fans I would say.

Well alright then. I'm on board with this alignment. I know many Husker Fans would like PSU in our division, but I'd rather have Michigan or tOSU and play that game on the day after Turkey Day. That would quickly develop into a huge game. If it's Michigan it may take a few years because I'm not sold on RichRod bringing them back.

West

Iowa

Michigan

Minnesota

Nebraska

Purdue

Wisconsin

East

Illinois

Indiana

Michigan State

Northwestern

Ohio State

Penn State

Are they the same M fans that claim 1985 as a national title? Nuts in either case.

Division dominoes: Wisconsin, Iowa to split

August, 26, 2010 Aug 269:00AM ET

By Adam Rittenberg

The first two Big Ten division dominoes have fallen.

Although league commissioner Jim Delany doesn't expect to announce divisions and the 2011 schedule until mid September, one piece of the puzzle has been revealed. Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez tells the Wisconsin State Journal that Wisconsin and Iowa will be placed in different divisions when the plan comes out.

Alvarez didn't reveal more specifics but said it's pretty obvious to decipher the divisions based on the selection criteria, which examines performance since 1993, the year when Penn State began competing in the Big Ten.

Alvarez implied that it shouldn't be hard to figure out how the 12 schools will be arranged in the two divisions. He said there are four distinct tiers of teams, led by the four that have won national championships in the past 25 years: Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska and Penn State.

The next level has UW and Iowa "within a hair" of one another, according to Alvarez.

Using comparative data compiled since 1993 when Penn State made its Big Ten football debut, Northwestern and Purdue would likely lead the next grouping, followed by some mixing and matching of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan State and Minnesota.

Given Alvarez's revelation and the recent buzz about Michigan and Ohio State, it seems pretty obvious which direction the Big Ten is headed with division alignment. The protected crossovers will allow the league to put some rivals (not all) in different divisions, maintain their annual games and also create the possibility for rematches in the Big Ten championship game, which needs attractive matchups for TV to compete with other contests on the same day (SEC, Big 12, ACC, Pac-10).

You can make a strong case that the Big Ten is prioritizing the championship game, a likely cash cow, ahead of tradition.

Wisconsin and Iowa currently play every season as protected rivals. The teams have met 85 times since 1894. It's a good bet that their matchup will be protected through a crossover. But as I brought up a while back, it's hard to preserve the Wisconsin-Iowa-Minnesota rivalry bloc and grow the league.

Given this new information and what we know about the selection criteria, here's my best guess at the divisions:

Division 1

Michigan

Michigan State

Iowa

Nebraska

Illinois

Northwestern

Division 2

Ohio State

Penn State

Wisconsin

Minnesota

Purdue

Indiana

I'm not sure of the crossovers, aside from Michigan-Ohio State and most likely Penn State-Nebraska.

Your final regular-season Saturday, which almost certainly would feature intra-division games, could look like this: Michigan-Michigan State, Iowa-Nebraska, Illinois-Northwestern, Ohio State-Penn State, Wisconsin-Minnesota and Purdue-Indiana.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/14936/division-dominoes-wisconsin-iowa-to-split

Division dominoes: Wisconsin, Iowa to split

August, 26, 2010 Aug 269:00AM ET

By Adam Rittenberg

The first two Big Ten division dominoes have fallen.

Although league commissioner Jim Delany doesn't expect to announce divisions and the 2011 schedule until mid September, one piece of the puzzle has been revealed. Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez tells the Wisconsin State Journal that Wisconsin and Iowa will be placed in different divisions when the plan comes out.

Alvarez didn't reveal more specifics but said it's pretty obvious to decipher the divisions based on the selection criteria, which examines performance since 1993, the year when Penn State began competing in the Big Ten.

Alvarez implied that it shouldn't be hard to figure out how the 12 schools will be arranged in the two divisions. He said there are four distinct tiers of teams, led by the four that have won national championships in the past 25 years: Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska and Penn State.

The next level has UW and Iowa "within a hair" of one another, according to Alvarez.

Using comparative data compiled since 1993 when Penn State made its Big Ten football debut, Northwestern and Purdue would likely lead the next grouping, followed by some mixing and matching of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan State and Minnesota.

Given Alvarez's revelation and the recent buzz about Michigan and Ohio State, it seems pretty obvious which direction the Big Ten is headed with division alignment. The protected crossovers will allow the league to put some rivals (not all) in different divisions, maintain their annual games and also create the possibility for rematches in the Big Ten championship game, which needs attractive matchups for TV to compete with other contests on the same day (SEC, Big 12, ACC, Pac-10).

You can make a strong case that the Big Ten is prioritizing the championship game, a likely cash cow, ahead of tradition.

Wisconsin and Iowa currently play every season as protected rivals. The teams have met 85 times since 1894. It's a good bet that their matchup will be protected through a crossover. But as I brought up a while back, it's hard to preserve the Wisconsin-Iowa-Minnesota rivalry bloc and grow the league.

Given this new information and what we know about the selection criteria, here's my best guess at the divisions:

Division 1

Michigan

Michigan State

Iowa

Nebraska

Illinois

Northwestern

Division 2

Ohio State

Penn State

Wisconsin

Minnesota

Purdue

Indiana

I'm not sure of the crossovers, aside from Michigan-Ohio State and most likely Penn State-Nebraska.

Your final regular-season Saturday, which almost certainly would feature intra-division games, could look like this: Michigan-Michigan State, Iowa-Nebraska, Illinois-Northwestern, Ohio State-Penn State, Wisconsin-Minnesota and Purdue-Indiana.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/14936/division-dominoes-wisconsin-iowa-to-split

As of this year, our division would be the easier haul. I wish that Wisconsin would be in our division, just from a rivalry standpoint, but to replace MSU with them would make our road a little easier, IMO.

Not to be the black sheep or anything, but I presume even if MU and tOSU split into different divisions, their rivalry game would be played every season. We're not talking about a split like NU and OU experienced, right?

Correct, no matter what, that game will be played every year.

I personally think the CCG will change the implications of that game no matter what they do because before you could always count on that game at the end of the regular season for the big 10. Now you can't. Period. It may work out to be a big deal every once in a while but not every season.

Not to be the black sheep or anything, but I presume even if MU and tOSU split into different divisions, their rivalry game would be played every season. We're not talking about a split like NU and OU experienced, right?

Correct, no matter what, that game will be played every year.

But it will be a relatively meaningless cross-divisional conference game. Rather than the two heated rivals of a division duking it out for divisional supremacy. And for what? Just to separate Iowa and Wisconsin too? I don't get it. I want both those guys in our conference.

As a Wisconsin fan, I hate both Michigan and OSU. That being said, I think they should be in the same division and play in the last regular season game, AS SHOULD WISCONSIN AND MINNESOTA. I was supremely pissed when they changed the Axe Game from the final week. Tradition is what college football is all about - just ask folks like Minnesota who are desperately trying to build tradition after having some money-hungry bastards kill a once-proud program.

Wisconsin football permeates my family. We have three generations of graduates and four generations (that I have known) of fans. My 85 year old parents timed their household move for the bye week; our family Christmas evolves around probable Bowl travel schedules. Don't mess with tradition - just add to it.

The Big 10 gurus are out-thinking themselves. As Frank the Tank says, don't make another "New Coke."