QB Race

Whoever Bo chooses, can we please assume that,

A. Bo is closer to the situation that anyone, and

B. Bo understands football better than any of us,

and unite behind him?

It's the kind of fan we huskers supposedly are, and I believe we are the best fans in college football.

Even if it is Taylor and he doesn't perform well, we owe Bo and the team our loyalty and class that makes our tradition so important to all of us. My parents were a part of that tradition and It's up to us to make sure it continues.

Since this season is out last in the Big 12, it's a good time to remember who we are and how we got here.

GBR.

I think our opinions from behind an anonymous keyboard are far better than anything Bo has to offer.

:duel

Welcome to the board.

TBH, Zac gets a raw deal from the fans and the coaches. Fans think he is awful, even though he played through injuries. Coaches think he is soft, even though he played through injuries. It's as if everyone expected All-Conference production from a beaten down man.

I think Zac could be a solid QB, given the FULL opportunity to play QB. I'm not talking about token starts where he is looking over his shoulder constantly either. Easily would expect 10 wins out of the team with him under the helm, if he was given that opportunity.

...(snip)...

Personally, I'd use the early season to let Zac build off that 'Zona game. He's the QB we all should want going up to Seattle to square off with Locker. He's been to Columbia in horrible conditions, to Blacksburg, a B12 championship and a bowl game. Given that experience, he would figure to be our best option to get this team where it needs to go for this year. But that's only my opinion.

Good post. I think Zac only gets a raw deal if he lays down and takes it though. I think what Zac should do is march up to Bo's office, tell him all the reasons why he deserves to be the starting QB, tell him he's going to lead this team and carry it on his back if he needs to, and look Bo straight in the eye and say "Coach, if you don't start me, you're going to be sorry."

Because that's the kind of attitude I'd want from a starting QB anyway, and if he doesn't have the confidence to do that, then how will he develop the confidence to trust his arm in crunch time? Wasn't it Peyton Manning who told Bill Polian he'd forever regret it if he didn't draft him? Maybe a show of assertiveness like this is all that Bo needs from Zac.

Otherwise, Bo must have a much different read on the situation from you...if 10 wins is easily the expectation with Zac, I can't imagine how there would be another alternative right now.

Well, it'll be an interesting year. :cheers

Whoever Bo chooses, can we please assume that,

A. Bo is closer to the situation that anyone, and

B. Bo understands football better than any of us,

and unite behind him?

It's the kind of fan we huskers supposedly are, and I believe we are the best fans in college football.

Even if it is Taylor and he doesn't perform well, we owe Bo and the team our loyalty and class that makes our tradition so important to all of us. My parents were a part of that tradition and It's up to us to make sure it continues.

Since this season is out last in the Big 12, it's a good time to remember who we are and how we got here.

GBR.

I think our opinions from behind an anonymous keyboard are far better than anything Bo has to offer.

:duel

Welcome to the board.

Thanks,

I guess I'm just hoping it doesn't get ugly, 2 man qb controversies are bad enough.

Not necessarily a commentary on this board or anything.

My honest opinion is that TMart has won the starting job (not saying I agree with this or not). Since the QB race has been so tight and the media is drooling for an answer, I feel that Bo and the rest of the staff would have openly said Lee was the starter if that were the case. Since Bo does not want to say a word until game time on Saturday, leads me to believe that Lee is not the starter and Green or Martinez are. Out of what I have seen and heard, my guess is Taylor gets the nod. Again, this is just my opinion! We'll see in 3 more days!!!!

My honest opinion is that TMart has won the starting job (not saying I agree with this or not). Since the QB race has been so tight and the media is drooling for an answer, I feel that Bo and the rest of the staff would have openly said Lee was the starter if that were the case. Since Bo does not want to say a word until game time on Saturday, leads me to believe that Lee is not the starter and Green or Martinez are. Out of what I have seen and heard, my guess is Taylor gets the nod. Again, this is just my opinion! We'll see in 3 more days!!!!

I think they're waiting for two reasons 1) Bo just doesn't want to tell anybody and 2) telling everybody who the starter is at quarterback means he has to tell everybody who the starters are at every other position.

Even though Bo more than likely has an idea who all of his starters are, his philosophy is always competition at every spot. It's counter productive to name a starting line up if you want competition to be at a high level all the time.

I think they're waiting for two reasons 1) Bo just doesn't want to tell anybody and 2) telling everybody who the starter is at quarterback means he has to tell everybody who the starters are at every other position.

Even though Bo more than likely has an idea who all of his starters are, his philosophy is always competition at every spot. It's counter productive to name a starting line up if you want competition to be at a high level all the time.

he could be that he just does not think that it is that big of a deal. maybe he is frustrated with all of the attention on the starting qb, and he manifests his annoyance by just being stubborn and not sharing.

on they other hand, i really am starting to think that it will be t-mart. he seems to be saying certain things that are showing his hand. for instance; if LEE will be the starter it would not be distracting to him, he has been there, and there would not be a circus, he is the incumbent.

if t-mart is the starter, there will be a circus and it would be distracting to a young and fresh guy. who knows.

on the last hand, if BO knows it is LEE, but he does not say, t-mart could believe that he has a chance and will do his reps at 110%, which may accelerate his development. it may be strategy to keep the 3 qbs heads in it.

i do not know, and i really do not care anymore. i am too excited just to watch them play and the season to start.

he could be that he just does not think that it is that big of a deal. maybe he is frustrated with all of the attention on the starting qb, and he manifests his annoyance by just being stubborn and not sharing.

on they other hand, i really am starting to think that it will be t-mart. he seems to be saying certain things that are showing his hand. for instance; if LEE will be the starter it would not be distracting to him, he has been there, and there would not be a circus, he is the incumbent.

if t-mart is the starter, there will be a circus and it would be distracting to a young and fresh guy. who knows.

on the last hand, if BO knows it is LEE, but he does not say, t-mart could believe that he has a chance and will do his reps at 110%, which may accelerate his development. it may be strategy to keep the 3 qbs heads in it.

i do not know, and i really do not care anymore. i am too excited just to watch them play and the season to start.

Bo shouldn't be frustrated with the attention the story has gotten, that's part of not naming a starting QB until the PA announcer announces his name as he runs on the field.

If he would have announced last week (which I find it hard to believe they didn't know then), the attention would have died down and would have been over with prior to game week.

I've said all along that if the race is even remotely close between these guys, T-Mart or Green will get the call just because that's the obvious direction they are going with the offense. They want a guy with gamebreaking speed back there, which leads me to lay my money on Martinez. That and all the smoke coming from the "insiders" I'll be very surprised if anyone but #3 trots out for the first snap on Saturday.

Game changer vs game manager is one argument, but IMO it's separate from running QB vs pocket passer. Would Bo consider Sam Bradford a game manager to T. Pryor's game-changing abilities? I guess my point is that it doesn't take a running QB to be a game changer - just a good QB. Again with the bias, but I think I'm more on the conservative side here. If Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are just expert game managers, then that's my preference out of a QB.

zoogies, I am one of Zac's biggest defenders on this board mainly for the fact I think he takes insanely too much crap for how our offense last year. But making the connection of Zac as a 'game manager' to Sam Bradford as a 'game manager' is a HUGE stretch. If we had a QB even close to Sam's abilities, this QB contest would have been over months ago.

Zac IS the best passer we have on this team. Zac does have a really strong arm. Zac's biggest issue is trusting himself enough as a player to let his gifted arm do work. He doesn't have enough faith in his accuracy to try to fit balls in tight windows, and instead will continue to look for wide open receivers.

That's what make Zac a 'game manager' because he will not make the silly turnover, because he will not force passes. But at the same time, you have to deal with him not making big plays either because he is so passive.

OTOH, Bradford is like Aikman with his accuracy. Kid was scary with how pinpoint his passes were and how much faith that kid had in his arm.

But style of QBs is really irregardless. Bo just prefers a mobile QB because he feels it opens so much more in the way of forcing a defense into bad situations. When you force that extra safety to creep closer to the line to prepare for a mobile QB, the opportunity for big plays open up. Bo loves that flexibility a mobile QB gives.

I guess this is why it wouldn't make sense to me at all for Taylor to be the option this year. If it's a given that he's going to make mistakes - and if we have a good option whose only fault is his style of play is more in tune with the OC than with the HC's future vision - why not let Taylor mature for a year and get some game experience without putting everything on his shoulders? The fanbase, for sure, will not be patient, and it just doesn't strike me as the type of situation where we should be taking all the mistakes and building slowly with a freshman QB.

I'm nearing the point where I am almost convinced Taylor will start Saturday. But my biggest fear is that Taylor gets baited into a few INTs. Then a slew of people will chime in ..

"We cannot have silly turnover like that. If Zac can manage the ball better, that is who we need."

If it doesn't happen this weekend, it WILL happen quite a few times this year. But what can anyone do? Those same people will complain regardless and always think the backup is the better QB. It is how it is.

I'm not the biggest fan of Taylor, at all. But I'm going to cheer the kid on regardless. I know he's going to have his moments, but he's a freshman, and I think we all should temper our expectations on him.

You had me up until irregardless....

11 pages?? Beefy

I'm curious enough to read through it tonight.

It sounds to me they want the guys competing through the first few games to

1) find out who is clearly the guy

2) have the #2 backup clearly decided and ready avail

Its not difficult to see that these guys will get quality snaps. My guess is you will see the second guy come in at some point during the first quarter for a few series, then the starter will return. The third guy might come in for some series in the second qtr. I'm sure they are figuring when to pepper each one in. Most definitely the second half for sure. Should be fun to see!

#1: ZLee

#2 TMartinez

#3 CGreen

11 pages?? Beefy

I'm curious enough to read through it tonight.

It sounds to me they want the guys competing through the first few games to

1) find out who is clearly the guy

2) have the #2 backup clearly decided and ready avail

Its not difficult to see that these guys will get quality snaps. My guess is you will see the second guy come in at some point during the first quarter for a few series, then the starter will return. The third guy might come in for some series in the second qtr. I'm sure they are figuring when to pepper each one in. Most definitely the second half for sure. Should be fun to see!

#1: ZLee

#2 TMartinez

#3 CGreen

From everything I can gather Martinez is the guy right now and getting most of the #1 reps this week and last. I do agree though that you will see all three guys in these first two games and then Washington will get a heavy dose of Martinez, barring any unforeseen gameday jitters that the coaches didn't expect.