QB Race

...telling everybody who the starter is at quarterback means he has to tell everybody who the starters are at every other position.

Seriously...we're 3 days away from the first game of the season and I'm yet to hear the words "depth chart". Since Bo is playing the 'I know who the QB is' card, the media has been completely distracted from every other position in question. Safety, linebacker, d-tackle, o-tackle....we have no idea how the 2-deep is shaking out.

I can't tell if he's enjoying the media control, or if he's just cleverly dangling a carrot.

...telling everybody who the starter is at quarterback means he has to tell everybody who the starters are at every other position.

Seriously...we're 3 days away from the first game of the season and I'm yet to hear the words "depth chart". Since Bo is playing the 'I know who the QB is' card, the media has been completely distracted from every other position in question. Safety, linebacker, d-tackle, o-tackle....we have no idea how the 2-deep is shaking out.

I can't tell if he's enjoying the media control, or if he's just cleverly dangling a carrot.

--That was the interesting thing about the Bo Pelini Show the other night. Yes, this QB battle is interesting, but when Pelini was discussing every other position he had ten other spots on the team that weren't officially claimed yet. I mean, how do you take this? Is nobody grabbing this thing by the reins and snatching that starting job? Or is our depth so damn impressive that these starting players could be rotated and remain just as efficient? I have to think its the latter, but it is interesting.

--That was the interesting thing about the Bo Pelini Show the other night. Yes, this QB battle is interesting, but when Pelini was discussing every other position he had ten other spots on the team that weren't officially claimed yet. I mean, how do you take this? Is nobody grabbing this thing by the reins and snatching that starting job? Or is our depth so damn impressive that these starting players could be rotated and remain just as efficient? I have to think its the latter, but it is interesting.

It's the way Bo works, he wants the competition and doesn't want to stick the term "starter" to anyone, that's why he's always been so hesitant to hand out blackshirts, he and the coaches and in turn the players thrive off of competition day in and day out. They obviously are set at 99% of the positions and the players know it, but they also know that if they don't bust their tails every day of practice they will be replaced.

It's just the way Bo works, it won't change as long as he's here and I'm okay with it. The depth chart is simply for the fans anyway.

It has been stated before, but I guarantee you that the coaches know what the depth chart looks like and who the starters will be. If they named the starters now, it would be counterproductive to the culture that Pelini has set in place and that is a culture of competition and a day-by-day style of thinking.

Hey, I'm all for it too. I mean, naming the starters now isn't changing anything. They are there in practice everyday. They know who does what and who's leading the competition at each position. Clearly as you can see by the results of the last two years, these guys know exactly what they're doing. I trust their judgment and believe we are going to field an elite team this year. Sounds like there is some fierce competition going on though, and that is great to hear heading into the season. A comment Jamrog made on Big Red Wrap Up last night was also nice to hear when he said that we nailed it with every recruit in this last class. That is just incredible and really adds to the excitement for the future of this team.

Let me suggest another motivation for Bo not naming the starting QB. What if Lee is the starter but Bo wants the other 2 QB's to know just how close the race was? It certainly helps us going forward and into next season if the backups both think they're really close to being starters. Imagine if one of them does come off the bench to lead the team - I'd want him to think he was almost the starter and have that confidence. Just a thought.

My 2 cents worth.

First, either Zac Lee feels pretty confident he'll end up starting or the surgery didn't take. Otherwise, I would fully expect him to have transferred to an FCS school before now. I'm going to go with the former (he expects to be "The Guy"). His dad was a pro, I think (and more importantly I think he thinks) he potentially has pro potential (probably a perennial backup, but still in the league), and your not going to get a shot unless your the starter in college (unless you play for USC). Enough FCS players now get their shot if they put up huge numbers.

That being said, with the type of offense Wats & Bo want to run, the number 2 guy has to be ready at a moments notice to run with the one's, especially if you are trying to make a championship run (which I think Bo fully is expecting to do this year). You don't want to HAVE to play someone who is injured like Lee was last year. My guess is neither T-Magic or Green have really differentiated themselves from each other. So this really is a battle for number 2. Why then not name Lee the starter? First, given that your backup potentially needs to be as good as your starter, you want to get both (but in this case all three) reps with the ones. Next, I think Bo fully intends to give them fairly equal time in these first two games. He wants to see T-Magic & C.Green under firem and even Lee to see if he is fully recovered.

I really think that Lee will be the full-time starter come Washington. Otherwise, you would actually want to name Green or Martinez the starters as early as possible. Why? Given their inexperience, you want them to have as many reps with the ones as humanly possible.

Addition -- Also, I believe they are all getting equal reps. If not, players would notice, and the "pseudo" #1 would have leaked by now.

I enjoy the thread, but I feel like it's going to the point where nothing new is being said. People who haven't posted in the thread yet are giving their thoughts that have been heard and then people with serious opinions on the matter come back to tell their thoughts again.

Rinse, lather, repeat.

I'm not a huge fan of locking threads just because they get too big. If everything is civil, I say keep it open. It doesn't do any harm.

It really isn't a big deal. Numerous teams have yet to name their starting QB.

I feel safe with either of them starting.

If it is as close as the coaches are saying.

Kapplc, you could close it today as far as I am concerned, I am done wasting my time reading the same stuff over and over and over and over and over, did I say over and over.