Dontrayevous Robinson running with confidence

NUance

Dontrayevous Robinson running with confidence

By BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star

Tuesday, Aug 24, 2010 - 09:18:50 pm CDT

A year into his Nebraska football career, Dontrayevous Robinson says he’s more confident.

That’s no surprise, given he’s bigger, quicker and more familiar with the playbook.

But Robinson’s biggest source of confidence and inspiration, he says, comes from his wife and daughter.

Robinson, a sophomore running back from Euless, Texas, was married in the spring. The couple, however, then mourned the loss of their daughter, who was born premature and died three days later.

“My wife and my daughter, they just gave me confidence, something to strive for to compete. I’m just playing for them,” Robinson said.

“Going through that, losing my daughter, I had to get my mind right coming back for football, because I was unfocused for a while. Coach (Tim) Beck, he pretty much stayed there for me and got me back focused.” linky

I think we forget sometimes that our players are real people with lives outside of football. Gotta hand it to Trey for going through some pretty rough times, facing the death of a child.

Losing a child is tough, I can imagine him losing focus. Its something he likely will never get over, especially if/when he has another one and sees all the things they do. My heart and prayers go out to him.

On a lighter note, the article says he is bigger and quicker? I didnt think he had that much more room for growth. Does anyone know what he is tipping the scales at now?

Losing a child is tough, I can imagine him losing focus. Its something he likely will never get over, especially if/when he has another one and sees all the things they do. My heart and prayers go out to him.

On a lighter note, the article says he is bigger and quicker? I didnt think he had that much more room for growth. Does anyone know what he is tipping the scales at now?

Says 237 lbs further down in the article, 22 lbs heavier than last year. Plenty big to get that extra yard when we need it.

The only thing I can say regarding the ground game aspect of the article––Nebraska has been looking for this mythical 'short yardage back' for about four seasons. And every season it's the same story. Bring in the big back, get stuffed for a two yard loss or a turnover on downs. If the line can't open the holes, you might as well run toss sweeps with Burkhead all season long.

I did hear about this awhile ago. Sorry for not posting. Last piece of information on it: EVERY SINGLE PLAYER ON OUR ROSTER, SCHOLARSHIPPED OR WALK-ON WAS AT THAT CHILD'S FUNERAL. Our guys are a family, while I am very sad for Tray and his wife, I am very happy that they have the support system that they need.

I did hear about this awhile ago. Sorry for not posting. Last piece of information on it: EVERY SINGLE PLAYER ON OUR ROSTER, SCHOLARSHIPPED OR WALK-ON WAS AT THAT CHILD'S FUNERAL. Our guys are a family, while I am very sad for Tray and his wife, I am very happy that they have the support system that they need.

This kind of reminds me of a time about 14 years ago or so when a lot of the CU players and coaches were at the funeral of a fallen Husker while the Husker's General (Frazier) was nowhere to be found. It is good to see the team closer than anytime I can ever remember. While it might have appeared to be a cohesive unit 15 years ago, it was only on the field.