Top 5 Black College QBs Ever

I would put Vince Young at #1

How could you put VY in front of Frazier? Regardless of your allegiance to Husker Nation, Frazier >>>> Vince Young.

That's fine if you think so, but I don't. One more national championship is certainly a big deal and deserves recognition, but that's really the only edge I give to Tommie Frazier (don't get me wrong, I love the guy). Vince Young had ~1000 more career rushing yards, 2,000 more career passing yards, a better win-loss percentage as a starter, in addition to being a hell of a better passer. He also did this with an incompetent gameday coaching staff and far less talent (could be used as an argument against by saying it inflated his stats being the whole team, or for by saying that he had to work that much harder).

Just my opinion. I look at players as objectively as I can when I measure how good they were compared to others, and whether they played for Nebraska has nothing to do with that.

True, but that talent could have the adverse affect on Frazier. He had to share the ball with Phillips, Green, etc., and the fact that NU blew out so many teams, that he often was sitting for half of the game.

Also, don't look at just the yardages. tu's offense was a qb-centric spread offense, where NU's was a rb-centric power running game with a splash of option.

Either way, I thought that we were supposed it be a colorblind society? :dunno I guess it's only if it supports your agenda.

it is a tough arguement. TF vs. VY, or anyone else for that matter. Both played on deeply talented teams. Both excelled. Its just your personal cup of tea really. A number of players could grace this list. Do you value championships more than stats? Does putting up great numbers on a bad or average team count more that being one of a handful of great players on a great team? Could QB 'A' have done the same things as QB 'B' if they were on different teams? All of these things make for a great debate. TF was almost always great. VY was great his last year. Although he was amazing his last year, and you could tell he was a great athelet, his first two were pretty average. Vince was a much better passer that Tommie (49.1% completion to 61.8%),and had better running numbers than Tommie, but he also played in a much different system and time in CFB. Its pretty tough to make a fact based decision. It comes down to feelings. I dont think there is a wrong answer either way.

Its a fun topic. The homer in me says Brad Smith should have been considered for this list. His career stats were pretty good for a team that was awful when he got there. You could give him credit for nearly carrying MU to its current level on his back alone.

56.3% completion, 8,799 passing yards, 56 tds, 33 ints, a career 114.10 passer rating, 5.4 yard-per-rush avg, 4,289 rushing yrds & 45 tds.

I know because of a lack of team titles he will never be considered with the greats. But he was one of the best at what he did. I think it would have been neat to see what he could have done behind a championship caliber team.

When he graduated here are a few NCAA records he held.

The NCAA Div. I-A career rushing record for QBs.

Most rushing yards in division 1-A history by a freshman quarterback

Became the first NCAA Div. I-A QB to throw for 8,000 yards and rush for 4,000 yards in a career

Ranked 4th on the alltime NCAA career total offense

Became the 1st player in NCAA Div. I-A history to achieve the 2,000/1,000 mark twice in his career (missed a 3rd by 33yrds)

One of only 3 players in Div. I-A history to have 4 seasons of 2,500 yards of total offense

One of only 6 players to have 3 seasons of 3,000 yards

Fourth player in 1-A history to score 200 points and pass for 200 points in a career.

Sixth player in 1-A history to pass for 200 yards and rush for 200 yards in a single game

How could you put VY in front of Frazier? Regardless of your allegiance to Husker Nation, Frazier >>>> Vince Young.

That's fine if you think so, but I don't. One more national championship is certainly a big deal and deserves recognition, but that's really the only edge I give to Tommie Frazier (don't get me wrong, I love the guy). Vince Young had ~1000 more career rushing yards, 2,000 more career passing yards, a better win-loss percentage as a starter, in addition to being a hell of a better passer. He also did this with an incompetent gameday coaching staff and far less talent (could be used as an argument against by saying it inflated his stats being the whole team, or for by saying that he had to work that much harder).

Just my opinion. I look at players as objectively as I can when I measure how good they were compared to others, and whether they played for Nebraska has nothing to do with that.

Dude Tommie lost 3 games in his career 2 as a Freshman one on a severely sprained ankle when the team had come down with a huge case of the flu against ISU and one to FSU in the Orange Bowl, then one again to MNC FSU in the Orange Bowl as a Sophomore where NU was clearly screwed by terrible calls, Mark Wicker the respected sports writer from the Orange County Register in CA said after Tommie and the Huskers went undefeated for their 2nd straight National Championship in January of 1996 "it should be a 3 peat, they'll find Jimmy Hoffa and a cure for the common cold before they find that clip on the punt return in the 1994 Orange Bowl" Repeating as Nat'l Champs is all that needs to be said, it's happened 3 times in the last 40 years and only once in the last 30. Vince Young is not in that class, IMHO.

Dude Tommie lost 3 games in his career 2 as a Freshman one on a severely sprained ankle when the team had come down with a huge case of the flu against ISU and one to FSU in the Orange Bowl, then one again to MNC FSU in the Orange Bowl as a Sophomore where NU was clearly screwed by terrible calls, Mark Wicker the respected sports writer from the Orange County Register in CA said after Tommie and the Huskers went undefeated for their 2nd straight National Championship in January of 1996 "it should be a 3 peat, they'll find Jimmy Hoffa and a cure for the common cold before they find that clip on the punt return in the 1994 Orange Bowl" Repeating as Nat'l Champs is all that needs to be said, it's happened 3 times in the last 40 years and only once in the last 30. Vince Young is not in that class, IMHO.

Vince young lost 2 games in his career, with a championship and a Rose Bowl win, while graduating early. If the class you are referring to is "two championships or more", then no, he isn't in the same class, but championships are just as much a team accomplishment as an individual one, and not even close to the only (or most important) measure of success for a player. If you ask me.

My vote for a guy that me thinks should be somewhere on the list but not at #1 is Antwaan Randle-El. Guy was the sheet at an absolutely crappy school in Indiana. First player to run/pass for 40 tds each. 2001 Big X Player of the Year. 7500 yds passing, 3900 running and 92 tds total. Oh by the way those numbers trounce VY(6000 pass, 3100 rush and 81 tds). All this out of the only weapon opposing defenses had to focus on.

it is a tough arguement. TF vs. VY, or anyone else for that matter. Both played on deeply talented teams. Both excelled. Its just your personal cup of tea really. A number of players could grace this list. Do you value championships more than stats? Does putting up great numbers on a bad or average team count more that being one of a handful of great players on a great team? Could QB 'A' have done the same things as QB 'B' if they were on different teams? All of these things make for a great debate. TF was almost always great. VY was great his last year. Although he was amazing his last year, and you could tell he was a great athelet, his first two were pretty average. Vince was a much better passer that Tommie (49.1% completion to 61.8%),and had better running numbers than Tommie, but he also played in a much different system and time in CFB. Its pretty tough to make a fact based decision. It comes down to feelings. I dont think there is a wrong answer either way.

Its a fun topic. The homer in me says Brad Smith should have been considered for this list. His career stats were pretty good for a team that was awful when he got there. You could give him credit for nearly carrying MU to its current level on his back alone.

56.3% completion, 8,799 passing yards, 56 tds, 33 ints, a career 114.10 passer rating, 5.4 yard-per-rush avg, 4,289 rushing yrds & 45 tds.

I know because of a lack of team titles he will never be considered with the greats. But he was one of the best at what he did. I think it would have been neat to see what he could have done behind a championship caliber team.

When he graduated here are a few NCAA records he held.

The NCAA Div. I-A career rushing record for QBs.

Most rushing yards in division 1-A history by a freshman quarterback

Became the first NCAA Div. I-A QB to throw for 8,000 yards and rush for 4,000 yards in a career

Ranked 4th on the alltime NCAA career total offense

Became the 1st player in NCAA Div. I-A history to achieve the 2,000/1,000 mark twice in his career (missed a 3rd by 33yrds)

One of only 3 players in Div. I-A history to have 4 seasons of 2,500 yards of total offense

One of only 6 players to have 3 seasons of 3,000 yards

Fourth player in 1-A history to score 200 points and pass for 200 points in a career.

Sixth player in 1-A history to pass for 200 yards and rush for 200 yards in a single game

i forgot about B Smith, great player also! That is not being a homer, he was the main reason for the turnaround in Columbia, which no pun intended was LONG TIME coming! :lol: