Assessment

I am really happy with the O-Line Much better pass protection.

I guess being deeper an healthier there made the difference.

The D just needs to sharpen up as a unit sloppy but effective.

First year coaching changes say alot about the D's preformance

this WKU team will fair very well in thier confrence this year.

I am nowhere near nervous about the rest of our NC schedule.

GBR

I thought the Offensive Line was suppose to be better this year, and as far as i could tell, it didn't really improve at all. They had their moments, but too many times did i see the OL break down around T-Mart, he had great pocket presense, but its only going to get harder if the OL continues to look as bad as they did.

Defense was a little bit rusty, im sure they will shake it off and come out strong over the next coming weeks.

Player of the game: Lavonte David, the position struggles, and the fact they needed someone to step up and take charge, the timing. It couldn't be better. I'm glad to see Lavonte David out there playing and showing he has what it takes to be out there on the field.

Dofus of the Game: Ricky Henry. The holding calls, false starts and the missed blocking assignments that i saw. In case no one told you Ricky, its the beginning of the football season, get the lead out buddy.

Keep in mind in the second half the line looked like this a lot

Yoshi- 1st D1 Game

Qvale- RFr 1st game

Caputo- 1st start

Rodriguez- TFr- 1st game

Sirles- RFr- 1st game

We had a lot of youth playing on the o-line to keep the main guys fresh.

Oh one other comment....

The wave attempt in the stands....fail

Every time it got started by the students the rest of the stadium would fail it up at some point. I also noticed it kept getting started and then something really interesting would happen on the field and people would pay attention again.

The 'Wave' is for the people in the stands who could really care less about the game. It shouldn't work because fans should be more interested in the game than doing some lame cheer. Hell, it's not even a cheer. It's something to make people focus on crowd-watching than game-watching. In fact, it's probably the only reason the blue-hairs show up. It's their one chance to exercise for the month, put their book down, and sluggishly throw their arms up without standing up. The 'Wave' is a fail.

• Fire 1

My assessment-

This was WESTERN KENTUCKY :facepalm: Things need to get a lot better, it was fun to watch, glad the season has started, was fun to see TMart have a good day, was a little shocked he was named starter, feel bad for Lee getting mop up duty <_< The D needs to clean it up a little. I do hope this QB mess gets finished by conference play, although I do see all 3 seeing action until then I have a feeling Bo will yank whoever that is in there when the first signs of adversity hits. Well see...

Oh one other comment....

Every time it got started by the students the rest of the stadium would fail it up at some point. I also noticed it kept getting started and then something really interesting would happen on the field and people would pay attention again.

The 'Wave' is for the people in the stands who could really care less about the game. It shouldn't work because fans should be more interested in the game than doing some lame cheer. Hell, it's not even a cheer. It's something to make people focus on crowd-watching than game-watching. In fact, it's probably the only reason the blue-hairs show up. It's their one chance to exercise for the month, put their book down, and sluggishly throw their arms up without standing up. The 'Wave' is a fail.

You could say exactly that for many "cheers". We had waves going against the Oklahoma game when it was a nailbiter.

Oh one other comment....

You could say exactly that for many "cheers". We had waves going against the Oklahoma game when it was a nailbiter.

We also do the wave during a timeout, and by the time play resumes, it dies out. So we're not really missing any part of the game.

Offense

Quarterbacks: A

Starting freshman quarterback Taylor Martinez put on a pretty solid show both in the air and especially on the ground. "T-Mobil" displayed his acceleration on multiple plays including his first collegiate touchdown of 46 yards. Cody Green also made an appearance and showed some promise with what appeared to be a more acute throwing game and a bit more comfort behind center than last year. Zac Lee saw brief playing time late in the game, but not really enough to show whether he has what it takes to lead the Huskers for a second year.

Running Backs: A-

Roy Helu and Rex Burkhead statistically speaking have room to improve, but they did their job. They both had 5 carries each and only out rushed by Martinez. Burkhead and Helu each had 1 touchdown averaging 11.4 and 5.8 yards per carry. Not a bad start for what could be a great one-two punch.

Receivers: A-

All in all, this should be a solid group of guys that we can continue to rely on. Between Brandon Kinnie and Niles Paul, we should have no issue getting the ball down field. The ball was spread out over 7 different receivers totaling 247 yards and 1 touchdown.

O-Line: A-

The line was able to move a somewhat undersized defensive line and create some big holes. Mike Caputo did an excellent job at center taking over for an injured Mike Smith. The rest of the line helped put up 289 yards of rushing with 536 total offensive yards.

Defense

D-Line: B-

If there was one area that needed a bit of improvement, in would be in the trenches. The defense gave up way to many yards on the ground. Nebraska gave up on average only 93.1 yards per game while Western Kentucky's offense tacked on a total of 179. Bobby Rainey had a career high 155 total yards against the Blackshirts.

Linebackers: A-

With all of the uncertainty created by preseason injuries in the linebacker position, the linebackers showed up to play. Lavonte David lead the Huskers with 13 total tackles. We should expect great things from him this year and the next.

Defensive Backs: B+

Our defensive backs are the most experienced part of team, but they seemed to be a little tentative. While they provided a large percent of the Blackshirts tackles, their were a few too many holes in the coverage. Although, I really don't think there is anything to worry about in this position down the road.

Offensive MVP

Taylor Martinez (were you expecting someone else?)

Defensive MVP

Lavonte David

• Fire 1

the defense last year gave up 350 yards in game one to FAU. anyone thinking the defense will suck this year is wrong. we're gonna do more blitzing than last year, and we're obviously not going to show Washington our blitzes against a cupcake opponent. the defense will give up some more yards and maybe some more points than last year, but we will create more turnovers with a combination of tricky blitzes and sticky cornerbacks.

as for the offense, here's how i think of it. yes, Martinez will be shaky throwing the ball. but was that not the case for Lee all of last year? clearly t-marts running abilities will make the offense WAY better than it was last year. if teams blitz and Martinez escapes out of the pocket, watch out. automatic 15 yards. if teams don't blitz, he'll have plenty of time to find a receiver from our MUCH improved receiving corps.

Defense = some drop off from last year, but more turnovers which will lead to more points. dont forget how crazy-dominant our defense was last year. destroying Colt McCoy? basically holding Arizona to under 100 yards of offense? it was unreal. a slight drop off and we still have a top 5 defense.

Offense = maybe still just an average CFB offense, but after last year.. i'd die for an average offense.

Combine these factors with a decently-favorable schedule, and going undefeated is VERY possible.

So you watch this game and combine it with what the team would do if you were the coach, and we go undefeated. I'll be for making you coach and skipping the games. :)

Seriously, we saw the staff at least try a new QB and from that we can figure that they do not believe Lee can get it done. That's about all we know from that game. Any of our QBs would likely had great days against WKU if playing the entire game. What I am certain disturbs the staff is the inaccuracy of his passing. In Big 12 play there would have been some picks. I doubt he runs free against Big 12 foes with anything like the success against wku. So they will work like heck to get him a passing game that fits his ability and try to increase his throwing ability. The latter is not easy to do and unlikely to improve greatly in a few weeks, or good qbs would be everywhere.

T Mart reminds me of the QB that Illiniois started in that game against Misery on Sat. His elusiveness and strength) as a runner allowed him to get good yardage and hit short passes. I really thought they behind that frosh with good wheels and an average arm were going to beat misery badly. The second half they put a shadow on him and shut him mown to almost no yardage and I think he threw three or four picks. in our offense, the passing will have to be very accurate with good reads to keep our running game going. We are not Ga. Tech or another true option offense...though with our personnel I wish we were this year and even more so if Green commits. It's not Watson's bag though.

Running a balanced attack with T-Mart against good defenses may be difficult. I think right now the optimist would say we have options. The realist would say that the staff; is not happy with there choices and trying to come up with who will give the offense the best chance. My guess is that if Starling and Carnes would have been here one of them would be starting.

Your idea that we are better off blitzing a lot to make up for inferior line play this year, leaves me cold. The rush of the front four was what made our D last year. I hope the line improves and Crick becomes Suh like, which I doubt. Our DBs will be hard pressed against better passing teams if we rely on blitzing.

Anyway the season is here and we are undefeated. I don't see staying that way nearly as likely as you do. Hope you are right.

They looked a lot better after 1 game than they did last year--especially on D, if you can believe that. What I saw today were mental lapses and a lazy defensive attitude due to the team we were playing, but on the upside I saw the same ability as the team that throttled Arizona in the bowl. Did you notice that Bo wasn't blowing a gasket tonight? That should say something, yes?

I really think that the D is going to step up with the quality of our competition. Baker really looked good. I'll bet Dean is proud of him. As for the kid .....he showed a lot of poise (and moves) for a freshman qb. Keep in mind that Frazier, as great as he turned out to be, didn't show that kind of poise in his first outing.

As I said earlier, for the first time in a decade, I don't feel too nervous about this team. They're going to shape up nicely after Bo gives them the whip.

Sorry to keep quoting you but your posts ring true to me. I hope you're right about the defense and completely agree that Tmart was awesome for a freshmen in his 1st start.....totally awesome. Green looked terrific too. It's just great to have "three" capable qbs.

Another good point about Bo not going nuclear. He wasn't happy at all but for "him"....it was about as laid back as it gets.

All things considered....a GREAT day!

Green looked terrific? Apparently you missed the throw right BEFORE the TD pass? He looked better than last year, but not terrific. Also, Tmart needs more than a little work on his long throws. He will get ate alive the way he is against Big 12 competition. I think the legs were a great plus, better than I thought they would be for sure, but in the little time Lee was in there, he showed better moves with his legs. Hopefully he can throw the ball better than what it was tonight...

And as far as the defense go, I wasn't overly impressed at all.

Lee showed better moves with his legs than Tmart?

I never read what I said before I posted it, and I see how you could get that out of it.. But I meant that Lee looked much better this year with his legs than Lee looked last year with his legs...

They looked a lot better after 1 game than they did last year--especially on D, if you can believe that. What I saw today were mental lapses and a lazy defensive attitude due to the team we were playing, but on the upside I saw the same ability as the team that throttled Arizona in the bowl. Did you notice that Bo wasn't blowing a gasket tonight? That should say something, yes?

I really think that the D is going to step up with the quality of our competition. Baker really looked good. I'll bet Dean is proud of him. As for the kid .....he showed a lot of poise (and moves) for a freshman qb. Keep in mind that Frazier, as great as he turned out to be, didn't show that kind of poise in his first outing.

As I said earlier, for the first time in a decade, I don't feel too nervous about this team. They're going to shape up nicely after Bo gives them the whip.

Sorry to keep quoting you but your posts ring true to me. I hope you're right about the defense and completely agree that Tmart was awesome for a freshmen in his 1st start.....totally awesome. Green looked terrific too. It's just great to have "three" capable qbs.

Another good point about Bo not going nuclear. He wasn't happy at all but for "him"....it was about as laid back as it gets.

All things considered....a GREAT day!

Green looked terrific? Apparently you missed the throw right BEFORE the TD pass? He looked better than last year, but not terrific. Also, Tmart needs more than a little work on his long throws. He will get ate alive the way he is against Big 12 competition. I think the legs were a great plus, better than I thought they would be for sure, but in the little time Lee was in there, he showed better moves with his legs. Hopefully he can throw the ball better than what it was tonight...

And as far as the defense go, I wasn't overly impressed at all.

Lee showed better moves with his legs than Tmart?

I never read what I said before I posted it, and I see how you could get that out of it.. But I meant that Lee looked much better this year with his legs than Lee looked last year with his legs...

Oh sure, no problem. A couple posters told me that's what you meant. Very good sir....

Offense

Starting freshman quarterback Taylor Martinez put on a pretty solid show both in the air and especially on the ground. "T-Mobil" displayed his acceleration on multiple plays including his first collegiate touchdown of 46 yards. Cody Green also made an appearance and showed some promise with what appeared to be a more acute throwing game and a bit more comfort behind center than last year. Zac Lee saw brief playing time late in the game, but not really enough to show whether he has what it takes to lead the Huskers for a second year.

Roy Helu and Rex Burkhead statistically speaking have room to improve, but they did their job. They both had 5 carries each and only out rushed by Martinez. Burkhead and Helu each had 1 touchdown averaging 11.4 and 5.8 yards per carry. Not a bad start for what could be a great one-two punch.

All in all, this should be a solid group of guys that we can continue to rely on. Between Brandon Kinnie and Niles Paul, we should have no issue getting the ball down field. The ball was spread out over 7 different receivers totaling 247 yards and 1 touchdown.

The line was able to move a somewhat undersized defensive line and create some big holes. Mike Caputo did an excellent job at center taking over for an injured Mike Smith. The rest of the line helped put up 289 yards of rushing with 536 total offensive yards.

Defense

If there was one area that needed a bit of improvement, in would be in the trenches. The defense gave up way to many yards on the ground. Nebraska gave up on average only 93.1 yards per game while Western Kentucky's offense tacked on a total of 179. Bobby Rainey had a career high 155 total yards against the Blackshirts.

With all of the uncertainty created by preseason injuries in the linebacker position, the linebackers showed up to play. Lavonte David lead the Huskers with 13 total tackles. We should expect great things from him this year and the next.

Our defensive backs are the most experienced part of team, but they seemed to be a little tentative. While they provided a large percent of the Blackshirts tackles, their were a few too many holes in the coverage. Although, I really don't think there is anything to worry about in this position down the road.

Offensive MVP

Defensive MVP

Lavonte David

I'd say Burkhead's 104 All Purpose Yards is improvement enough...especially on 5 carries and 2 receptions

Offense

Defense

Offensive MVP

Defensive MVP

Lavonte David

I'd say Burkhead's 104 All Purpose Yards is improvement enough...especially on 5 carries and 2 receptions

It was more targeted at Helu, but by no means did either perform badly.