Boise State vs Virginia Tech

Never Skerd'

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Virginia Tech is 1-25 all time against top 5 teams.

The worst is that Boise State will go through a weak conference and avoid injury and get plenty of rest by playing the likes of LA Tech, and people will still want them in the title game. Meanwhile, Virginia Tech goes like 8-3.

If Ohio State played Miami and then went through the MAC, people would be in an uproar, but that's exactly what people are defending about Boise State.

If Ohio State played Miami and then went through the MAC, people would be in an uproar, but that's exactly what people are defending about Boise State.

I agree and same thing if it was Nebraska. Boise State plays a weak schedule/conference and people want them playing in the BCS title game if they go 13-0 over a 12-1 Alabama, Ohio State, OU, Nebraska, Florida, etc. teams :facepalm:

I agree and same thing if it was Nebraska. Boise State plays a weak schedule/conference and people want them playing in the BCS title game if they go 13-0 over a 12-1 Alabama, Ohio State, OU, Nebraska, Florida, etc. teams facepalm.gif

You act like Nebraska is playing some rugged schedule this year, Texas is the only team on that list that probably won't end the year with 4+ losses. Boise still has to play Oregon State, Utah State (who pushed OU to the limit), and Fresno State (handled a Cincinatti team coming off back to back BCS games).

We play 5 or 6 teams that won't make a bowl. Do you think MU, KU, Iowa State or Colorado would walk through the WAC? Texas A&M, K-State and Texas, possibly.

WKU

Idaho

Washington (a loss to BYU)

South Dakota State

K-State

Texas

OSU

Missouri

Iowa State

Kansas

Texas A&M

Colorado

ho humm. prepare yourselves for the boise hype machine the rest of college football season.

lots of open mouth kissing on the way from ESPN....

This is what bothers me. Here you have other Universities playing in tougher conferences with tougher schedules that work their way to a BCS bid and Boise plays 1 sometimes 2 tough teams a year and gets a cake walk schedule to a BCS bowl bid.....why should schools like Nebraska, OU, Ohio State, etc play in tougher conferences when they can go to the WAC and play that schedule and run thru it to get an automatic bowl bid to a BCS bowl like Boise State does.

Boise State's BCS bowls games weren't automatic. The lesser conferences have to be ranked 6 or higher and no other major conference team also ranked like in the top 15. Boise St. two years ago went undefeated and didn't get invite to a BCS bowl. Boise St. and Utah BCS bids weren't automatic and they won both of their BCS games. Though Utah won't have to worry next season when they join the PAC-10.

Virginia Tech is 1-25 all time against top 5 teams.

The worst is that Boise State will go through a weak conference and avoid injury and get plenty of rest by playing the likes of LA Tech, and people will still want them in the title game. Meanwhile, Virginia Tech goes like 8-3.

Maybe Virginia Tech needs to learn to quit f'ing choking. Every season i see VT ranked so high they don't deserve it. VT didn't deserve a #10 ranking.

My opinion of Boise State:

Playing in a conference like the Big 12, SEC, or Big 10 is far different than playing in the WAC. The competition is tougher, the athletes are faster and stronger, and the coaches of the programs (collectively) are wiser than what the WAC has. Just all in all, winning in one of those three conferences is different than winning in the WAC.

Boise State plays one or two what I would call "good teams" a year, and then are matched up against a quality opponent in a bowl game. But, Boise State doesn't get physically knocked around week in and week out like our teams do. They don't take a similar beating. So, by the time they reach an important game, they're ready for the challenge most of the time (mentally and physically) while their AQ BCS opponent has been weathered by their strenuous non-conference schedule.

Boise State is a one to two loss team in the Big 12 and a three to four loss team in the SEC, imho. Until they go through an S.O.S. that rivals a school like Alabama, Florida, etc., then they aren't deserving a title shot. I would send a one loss Big 12 or SEC team to a title game over Boise 9/10 times.

I agree and same thing if it was Nebraska. Boise State plays a weak schedule/conference and people want them playing in the BCS title game if they go 13-0 over a 12-1 Alabama, Ohio State, OU, Nebraska, Florida, etc. teams facepalm.gif

You act like Nebraska is playing some rugged schedule this year, Texas is the only team on that list that probably won't end the year with 4+ losses. Boise still has to play Oregon State, Utah State (who pushed OU to the limit), and Fresno State (handled a Cincinatti team coming off back to back BCS games).

We play 5 or 6 teams that won't make a bowl. Do you think MU, KU, Iowa State or Colorado would walk through the WAC? Texas A&M, K-State and Texas, possibly.

WKU

Idaho

South Dakota State

K-State

Texas

OSU

Missouri

Iowa State

Kansas

Texas A&M

Colorado

Collectively, the talent and coaching in the Big 12 is far superior than what the WAC offers as a whole. The competition week in and week out is significantly different and the skill level involved in playing in the Big 12 is different.

A one loss Big 12 and SEC team deserve a shot at the title over an undefeated WAC team that played two quality opponents all year. The WAC as a whole is nowhere near the same level of the Big 12.

BSU's S.O.S. this year is 87 compared to our 76. Also, the Big 12 has four teams with an S.O.S. ranking in the Top 25. The highest ranked WAC team on the S.O.S. list is San Jose St. at 43. Huge discrepancy there.

WKU

Idaho

South Dakota State

K-State

Texas

OSU

Missouri

Iowa State

Kansas

Texas A&M

Colorado

Here's the problem with defending Boise State... You just cited "Utah State" when discussing their strength of schedule. :facepalm:

Boise State can start getting respect when they beat someone in their house. I don't care this was a majority VT crowd. Boise State beat oregon at home, and beat VT at neutral. Go play someone at their house Boise State, or are you too scared to?

ho humm. prepare yourselves for the boise hype machine the rest of college football season.
lots of open mouth kissing on the way from ESPN....
This is what bothers me. Here you have other Universities playing in tougher conferences with tougher schedules that work their way to a BCS bid and Boise plays 1 sometimes 2 tough teams a year and gets a cake walk schedule to a BCS bowl bid.....why should schools like Nebraska, OU, Ohio State, etc play in tougher conferences when they can go to the WAC and play that schedule and run thru it to get an automatic bowl bid to a BCS bowl like Boise State does.

I agree and same thing if it was Nebraska. Boise State plays a weak schedule/conference and people want them playing in the BCS title game if they go 13-0 over a 12-1 Alabama, Ohio State, OU, Nebraska, Florida, etc. teams :facepalm:

its quite simple guy nobody will play these guys anymore plain and simple, everyone is too scared to play them and trust me i used to be a huge boise state hater

WKU

Idaho

South Dakota State

K-State

Texas

OSU

Missouri

Iowa State

Kansas

Texas A&M

Colorado

Here's the problem with defending Boise State... You just cited "Utah State" when discussing their strength of schedule. facepalm.gif

Normally i'd agree, but that Utah State team did have the ball in the 4th quarter in Norman driving for the tying score with 4 minutes left this weekend. They put up 400+ yards on OU's D in Norman also, so they aren't as worthless as in the past.

WKU

Idaho

South Dakota State

K-State

Texas

OSU

Missouri

Iowa State

Kansas

Texas A&M

Colorado

Here's the problem with defending Boise State... You just cited "Utah State" when discussing their strength of schedule. facepalm.gif

Normally i'd agree, but that Utah State team did have the ball in the 4th quarter in Norman driving for the tying score with 4 minutes left this weekend. They put up 400+ yards on OU's D in Norman also, so they aren't as worthless as in the past.

Utah State surprised a lot of people I think.

I really look at the S.O.S. in this situation. No one S.O.S. is perfect, but I compared two of them and the highest S.O.S. of any WAC school is San Jose State with a 43 (50 in the other). Boise State is in the 80's in both of the lists I checked. Four teams from the Big 12 were in the Top 25 in both of the lists I checked.

Nebraska was in the 70's in both lists, for comparison.

Going by all of that, I would take a one loss Oklahoma team (who has a Top 25 ranked S.O.S.) over an undefeated Boise State squad.

I've watched Boise State enough to know they have one of the best offenses in college football. I was surprised they let Va Tech back in the game but was not surprised they used a final drive to win the game. I usually root for Boise but tonight was sort of rooting against them because a loss knocks them out of the championship picture.

The perfect storm has built for them...

They have proven they are exciting winners in past BCS Bowls,

They have a high pre-season ranking,

They went undefeated last year,

Everyone knows they are good and not just a novelty,

If they go undefeated it is going to be difficult to keep them out of the national championship especially if there 1) are no other undefeated teams and 2) there is a 1 loss team they are competing against and that 1 loss team has lost to a non-ranked opponent...i.e. there will be a lot of "we can't let in that team because they lost to <insert your 6-5 or 5-6 team here>."

The thing that hurt about tonight's game was realizing only more that we should have never gotten beat by VA Tech last year. Argghhh! :madash

If Boise makes it all the way, so be it...it will be a culmination of a perfect storm that has been building for several years.

I do still think Boise blew it and should have tried to get an offer to join a revised Big 12 in the future. Instead they jumped at the Mountain West offer which nobody cares about.

just because Utah State almost beat Oklahoma early in the year doesn't mean they are going to be good this year. They could be, but they could also just be Utah State again. As for Boise, I don't hate them, actually kind of like the way they play and their underdog mystique (hate the field tho), but I hate the schedule they play. Too bad Utah and BYU didn't stay put bc then all those teams would be in a pretty legit conference next year.