The Niles Paul Thread

a) maybe you guys didin't see the Mizery game last year...

b ) wouldn't we need at least a semblance of a vertical passing game for NP to be a scoring threat?

c) he will break a big return in a big game this year, mark it down.

At this point we're not asking for him to be a scoring threat. We're asking him to hang on to the stupid football when he gets it. One step at a time.

Bingo.

Just wait for it, right when he gets to the point where it seems like we'd be better off without him on the field, he'll rip off 100+ return yards and a TD and have 250 total yards with a couple of TDs.

"Your koolaid is poisened."

I'm putting my money on him having a HUGE game at KSU, thus furthering the frustration with Niles Paul. Dude is the most frustrating player I can remember watching in an NU uniform. ALL the talent in the world, yet is in lala land most of the time.

Lots of peeps wantin to take yer muny. I agree, too much talent for him not to capitlize on his athletic abilities to further himself as an athlete at this level, let alone the next (money paying) level. No excuse for his on the field mistakes. Needs to be coached up better, especially as a senior at this point in time. The better this team does overall, the better his draft stock goes up. $$$ Who is guiding him right now?....GBR otherwise, as always!!

You know who I would compare Niles Paul to? Correll Buckhalter. All the talent in the world, but Buckhalter--like Niles Paul--would sometimes fumble at the worst possible moment. Buckhalter worked past it. And he has been able to put together a pretty decent NFL career since then. I'm hoping that Niles Paul will too.

This early in the season he's had a very high percentage of mistakes/opportunities. You want to say he'll get it fixed, but he's a senior, and every time he touches the ball I've gotten in the habit of assuming he's going to put it on the turf. Whatever is going on with him, there comes a point where your lack of production added to your mistakes gets you a spot on the pine.

absolutely...he needs to establish some consistency before trying to hit it out every play!

Fumbling punt returns is a momentum changer. It can cost you a ballgame even. Despite some good open field running on punt returns, they should look for someone else to handle it.

I like Niles. I think he is tough and can make some pretty good plays on offense. It just seems that he has to be heavily involved to get better during the game. And we dont throw it as often as we used to. I dont know, but I wont count him out just yet, specifically on offense. And I want him out there because he is damn capable of making plays.

But returning punts? Its done. Has to change. One touchdown returned is not worth the breath I hold each kick so there is no fumble.. or misjudging the sidelines.. or if he just catch it or let it go over his head. All of it.

I cannot say that I have ever cheered for a player that caught and held on to the ball on a return except for Niles, mainly because it seems like it only happens once in a blue moon right now.

The worst best player I've ever seen at Nebraska. Niles will haunt me till the day he graduates. Electrifying as any player in the Big 12. Takes your breath every time he handles the rock (mostly in a bad way). Just can't trust the guy from one game to the next. At this point, I gotta say he's about as low as he was after the TTech and ISU games last year. Tough to rebound from that, but totally doable. Let's see what this guy is made of now that conf play has arrived.

But the downfield blocking has been REALLY solid. He packed on a ton of muscle and started playing REALLY physically . . . great for the running game but seemingly to the detriment of his receiving/ball-carrying ability. Ron Brown told the OWH during fall camp that Paul came to him and asked Brown to coach Paul to be the most physical blocking receiver NU's ever had or something to that effect.

But the downfield blocking has been REALLY solid. He packed on a ton of muscle and started playing REALLY physically . . . great for the running game but seemingly to the detriment of his receiving/ball-carrying ability. Ron Brown told the OWH during fall camp that Paul came to him and asked Brown to coach Paul to be the most physical blocking receiver NU's ever had or something to that effect.

well then, i guess he thought he had the receiver part down?? :facepalm:

well then, i guess he thought he had the receiver part down?? :facepalm:

I second that :facepalm:

My father called this years ago. Back in 2008 he said that Niles Paul would NEVER have any sort of consistency . . . and that he would hurt as as much as he helped us. We argued about it quite a bit . . . I said we needed to give Paul more time to prove himself. Looking back, he was absolutely right.

Niles is everything you could want physically in a wide receiver . . . but my god does he look stupid on the football field. If only we could clone Rex Burkhead's mind and put it into Niles' head.

The only thing I see Niles Paul having is speed. Honestly beyond that for me he is a very basic wide receiver. He catches some balls but won't shake people out of their shoes for yards after the catch on a regular basis (I agree with the OP about his running style), his pass catching is inconsistent and then there's the fumbling. He's never really dazzled me. At all. I'll take Brandon Kinnie.