What do we do with Spano?

typ3kal

Where do some of you get these ideas? Are you high when you post threads like this one?

Spano is a QB and I highly doubt he'll be moved to another position and like somebody else wrote I highly doubt he'll see playing action at all because of blowing out his ACL.....TWICE.

Yeah, I don't get the idea of moving a QB unless you think he'll be in the top 3 at some other position.

And as for Cody Green, he's the #2 QB. Unless he can start elsewhere, we really do need the insurance of a ready backup. Green seems to be a better athlete than Spano so maybe it's worth considering, but I don't think he's like a Bobby Newsome that we just have to get on the field.

He could join Zac Lee at the TE position so we will then have two All-American TEs.

Dont forget when we move cody Green to WR.. we'll just do reverse option TD passes by everyone all day.

I say we only recruit QB's and just place them in different places.... can Carnes play center?

That's funny. My GF's brother just got moved from QB to center.

He's short for the position and way undersized for a high school lineman. It's sort of hilarious to watch really.

He could join Zac Lee at the TE position so we will then have two All-American TEs.

Dont forget when we move cody Green to WR.. we'll just do reverse option TD passes by everyone all day.

I say we only recruit QB's and just place them in different places.... can Carnes play center?

Obvious sarcasm on your behalf. That's clear. That said, while Green and Martinez were HS QB's (as often the best athletes available are), neither were uniformly viewed by those recruiting them as true QB's. Actually, I have heard that only about 30% of the ex-HS QB's who play college football play QB in college. many come in and are instantly switched (or are switched even earlier in that they were recruited at other positions). Others still... they try it at QB --- are seen to be less fit for that position than for another position and are then switched out as freshman or sophomores typically (or depth charts indicate that they will never see the field as a QB and, if you want to get something out of them, well... you give them a try at another position).

Both Green and Martinez are typical candidates for the "I'm not really sure they are best suited as QB's" camp. So it is not at all an issue of recruiting QB's and switching their positions. Rather it is recruiting athletes who happened to be HS QB's but are simply athletes who may be suited better elsewhere. In a very real sense neither Green nor Martinez are inherently QB's --- they are athletes who could play QB or play another position.

What NU needs to do is land some true QB's. Not just athletes who may occupy the position under center.

The time, it would seem, will come soon where the most rational thing to do is to try Green at another position (next year when Carnes is prepped). WR is reasonable given his size and straight-line speed. Does he have hands? Who knows. In any event, unless Martinez gets hurt (this season), Green will never see the field as a QB much (as Carnes simply has to be better at QB --- as is Spano if he ever has the health to play).

Last year after pre season 99 % of us thought Lee was our starter for two years. His performance in our bowl and the announcement that he had an injury during the season caused most to figure he would start this year.

When Lee failed to move the team in conference many of us wanted a change. The staff made the change and it did not work.

On the heels of the SDSU game in which our first and second string QBs both looked bad, I would say it is not beyond reason that Spano when healthy gets a chance. If TM leads the team successfully in conference, only an injury would present an opportunity. if last season's offensive struggles repeat, it is wide open.

Last year after pre season 99 % of us thought Lee was our starter for two years. His performance in our bowl and the announcement that he had an injury during the season caused most to figure he would start this year.

When Lee failed to move the team in conference many of us wanted a change. The staff made the change and it did not work.

On the heels of the SDSU game in which our first and second string QBs both looked bad, I would say it is not beyond reason that Spano when healthy gets a chance. If TM leads the team successfully in conference, only an injury would present an opportunity. if last season's offensive struggles repeat, it is wide open.

Dont kid yourself we all know that spano is never going to play a snap at Qb

Dont kid yourself we all know that spano is never going to play a snap at Qb

This.

I don't have to read the thread to predict what is being said: some are saying he should get a chance.

I'm all for competition at every spot, as are the Pelini's. And, Spano will get a fair shot at QB just like everybody else.

That said, everybody needs to be reasonable. Spano probably knows the playbook better than anyone, but the kid has had TWO ACL surgeries, and he is on a team that has transitioned to running the read option. How confident does anybody think this kid is in his knee, and how confident do you think the coaches are in his athletic ability like they are Martinez? He hasn't played any meaningful snaps of division one football since he has been here, and Green/Martinez both have had serious PT.

Spano seems like a good kid, but his ship has sailed. He'll be a senior next year going up against two guys with far more game experience than he. It's just not reasonable to expect this kid to play a serious series during his time at Nebraska, barring massive injuries.

That's funny. My GF's brother just got moved from QB to center.

He's short for the position and way undersized for a high school lineman. It's sort of hilarious to watch really.

That kind of reminds me of where I wound up when I first went out for football. I was average size (certainly not lineman size)with good speed. The coach just started inserting new players (almost like rotating volleyball style) on offense and running plays against the already established defense. I was put in at right guard to start. If you messed up the coach pulled you and put you somewhere else or on the bench. Of course I played as hard as I could and nobody could ever get past me due to going lower on blocks and beating everyone with speed. When that practice ended I was STILL playing at right guard. I was happy that I was playing and made the team, but also mad because I thought I belonged at DB or receiver. It took a few games for teams to figure me out and get by me and I was moved to the tight end position where it was a much better fit. The next year I played both ways as safety and receiver.

I love the out of the Box thinking .... especially Carnes at Center. chuckleshuffle