Stadium Expansion

I've gotta say, being able to see this project finished is one of the bigger reasons that I hope the world does not end this December.

Mayan calendar did not account for leap days, we're past its end point. Soooo.... You're good!

I have a feeling there will be a bunch of weirdos in December who create some chaos in the world. I may lock myself inside if it's as bad as I think it might get.

Did my weekly walk-around this AM. This is really becoming a second spectator sport here in Lincoln, and it's neat to see all the out-of-town license plates drive by taking pictures. It's also a lot of fun to walk up to a random Husker fan taking pictures and talk Husker sports. Shoutout to Phillip, whom I met today in the East Loop parking lot, and to Luka from arenatree.wordpress, who lives in the Haymarket and has been taking near-daily pictures of the arena as it goes up.

I'll put my pictures up in a little bit....

• Fire 1

Here we go.

Obligatory shot of the main east entrance. They've put up a number of new beams (as tschu jokingly pointed out above) since last week.

DSCF0965.jpg

The crane looking straight up from the columns. I'm a budding artist.

DSCF0984.jpg

The view from Ed Weir Track. This shot got me thinking about the distance between the new facade and the original stadium, and how much of the old stadium will be visible when this project is complete.

DSCF0993.jpg

That wondering led to this shot, where you can see they're putting the north end so close to the original stadium that they've actually cut into the border of the inscription to put the beams up. Apparently the inscription on this side will be flush with the new facade. Now I'm wondering if they're going to be terribly clever and have a room inside this facade where you can walk up to this inscription - which would be tremendously cool. I'd hate to think this will be essentially wallpapered over.

DSCF0998.jpg

From the track I swung around to the south side to get a few shots of the inscription there, to see how closely they were putting the facade to this side. I was surprised to see that the stand-off space was much, much further away on this side. This is about how far off the west stadium facade is from the original west stadium. Now I'm wondering why the big difference in stand-off space, or if it's just a matter of the south side not being complete, and they'll swing in closer to the inscription here as they move south with the structure.

DSCF1013.jpg

I walked over to the most famous of Memorial Stadium inscriptions to get a shot of how they retained our ability to see the inscriptions on the west side.

DSCF1025.jpg

I then went atop the parking garage just west of the stadium and took some shots of the Arena from that perspective. There really aren't any good spots to get a good perspective of the growth of the arena, since none of the buildings surrounding it are public. This is an OK shot. Note the progress on the upper deck, which sprung up in just the last few weeks.

DSCF1034.jpg

My weekly pic from the Haymarket foot bridge:

DSCF1053.jpg

And my other weekly pic from the parking lot just south of the Post Office:

DSCF1055.jpg

• Fire 2

Knap I was wondering that on the southern side of the East expansion too. My guess is that they aren't as far a long on that side and that's why there's a gap. If you look at the norther side you will also see they have gotten progressively far on adding the staircase too.

Looking at your North photo, I wonder how I am going to get into gate 16 next season haha.

Also, what's that one beam on the entrance smaller and higher than the rest?

Thanks for the weekly photos Knap! I think HB is the top place to go for expansion updates! Take that Husker SID!