Stadium Expansion

East Stadium construction means changes for fans

Gone are the vendors, the fans milling about and the trees lining the east side of Memorial Stadium. Don't plan on meeting friends at the statue of Cornhuskers tackling a foe.

All of that is gone this season, replaced by fencing, dirt and piles of rebar and other construction materials in preparation for the $63.5 million East Stadium expansion to be completed by summer 2013.

The construction zone means that fans entering East Stadium on Saturday will need to make adjustments.

Fans headed for gates 15 through 24 will enter from a large walkway off the stadium loop -- through the middle of the construction zone -- and then fan out to their specific gates.

Signs will be posted to help direct fans.

"We think it'll work well," says Butch Hug, associate athletic director for facilities and events. "Some people will have some angst on where to go, but we encourage fans to show up early to re-familiarize themselves with the area and changes."

* A new set of steps has been built on the northeast corner at Gate 16.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_a1f7a1ab-53ea-5256-827f-5bd987a0e7cb.html

Every time I see pics of that stadium it reminds me of the Horseshoe, considering it was designed after Ohio stadium it makes sense (the exterior of it). If you guys make it to a game in Columbus you will see what I am talking about and feel right at home (except for the beating--wink, wink).

Kmapplc, looks like we know what that project next to the press box is....

http://journalstar.com/news/local/article_544a29da-0662-5e1d-85b8-7d56db4d8dbb.html

Even before the heavy lifting begins on a $63.5 million expansion project, officials have found a way to squeeze more fans into Memorial Stadium.

Look close at the West Stadium facade on Saturday and you may notice a change -- a new skybox.

The new suite on the south end -- built this summer -- will seat 60, more than double the standard 28-person suite.

It fills in what was an open area on the south end of the West Stadium's sixth floor. Another deck on the opposite end of the press-box level may get a box in the future, NU Associate Athletic Director Paul Meyers said.

Read more: http://journalstar.com/news/local/article_544a29da-0662-5e1d-85b8-7d56db4d8dbb.html#ixzz1WpvU73im

• 3 months later...

insidethestadium-03.jpg

A bit of a mystery project going on atop West Stadium on the south end, immediately next to the Press Box. Clearly they're adding some kind of enclosed space. Not sure what it's for, though.

Did we ever figure out why they did this or what it is?

Did you ever read the thread to figure out what it is? Like maybe the post directly above yours? Or the post directly above that one?

insidethestadium-03.jpg

A bit of a mystery project going on atop West Stadium on the south end, immediately next to the Press Box. Clearly they're adding some kind of enclosed space. Not sure what it's for, though.

Did we ever figure out why they did this or what it is?

Did you ever read the thread to figure out what it is? Like maybe the post directly above yours? Or the post directly above that one?

Haha woops my bad

• 1 month later...

I'm really excited with the changes being made. I think the East addition is going to make the stadium look and feel a lot bigger, not to mention louder. I'm excited to see what the atmosphere is going to be like over there during game day.

This going to be a long offseason....As usual.

Edited by Mills