Stadium Expansion

Any one have any more updates or pictures of how the construction is going?

Yep. Sorry I haven't been posting anything lately. Can't seem to find a lot of spare time these days.

Last Saturday I went past our current upgrade projects. Here are some of the pics:

saltcreekroadway-01.jpg

This is Salt Creek Roadway looking west from the foot bridge just north of the stadium. They're putting in a couple of roundabouts, one here just north of the Touchdown Club and another a couple of blocks west heading into the West Haymarket area where the new Arena is going.

saltcreekroadway-02.jpg

As you can see, they're cramming this in wherever they can find room, which is why the pier for the 10th Street overpass is in the middle of the circle. The dumb thing about this is that, as you're going north on 10th street into Salt Creek Roadway, you're going to have to merge with traffic coming from your left, counter-clockwise along this roundabout. Only problem is, that traffic is occluded by the 10th street overpass ramp. I will double-dog guarantee you there are at minimum two accidents at this roundabout every year, snarling traffic all the way down 10th back to Downtown. I do not understand this city's fascination with roundabouts.

Heading over into the stadium now...

insidethestadium-01.jpg

This is the current East Stadium from inside the Stadium at the "Self-Guided Tour" spot. The construction crane is up and running.

insidethestadium-02.jpg

Looking at West Stadium from the Self-Guided Tour, you can see the progress on the West Stadium sealing project. They removed all the bench seats from that area, applied a concrete seal/paint, and now they've got the benches back in. I don't know if they're doing the entire West Stadium, but I believe they are. Aside from these sections they're pretty much done with the Visitor's Section on the other (south) end of West Stadium.

insidethestadium-03.jpg

A bit of a mystery project going on atop West Stadium on the south end, immediately next to the Press Box. Clearly they're adding some kind of enclosed space. Not sure what it's for, though.

A couple of exterior shots:

ne_corner-01.jpg

This is the NE corner of the stadium, looking across Ed Weir Track. You can see they've removed most of the NE foundation and the entire entryway there. They've also bitten into the seats at Ed Weir, removing about 1 1/2 sections (where the construction fence is now).

eaststadiumoutside-01.jpg

East Stadium from the parking lot inside The Loop. The trees block the view quite a bit, so you can't see what they've done - which is mostly foundation work. All the pines on the East Side have been gone since early May, and they removed the flag poles in May. I have been told they're going to reuse the original flag poles that sat outside the stadium on new pediments, which is cool.

After I left the Stadium I went over to the Devaney Center:

studentlifecomplex-01.jpg

A shot from the SW taken from atop the Big X. The kind of pic you can only get early on a weekend morning when there's no traffic.

studentlifecomplex-02.jpg

The Student Life Complex from ground level. Again, you can't see much, but it looks like 90% of the exterior work is done.

From there I went over to the new indoor Baseball/Softball practice facility.

bballpracticefacility-01.jpg

It's tough to get a good shot of this project, since there's nothing tall to stand on to get a pic from. This is looking at the facility from the SE, on 6th street. I talked to one of the construction guys and he assured me they would be finished with this project in August, so it'll be up and running for both teams at the start of the 2012 season.

bballpracticefacility-02.jpg

Final pic of the day. This is the west side of the practice facility, taken from inside Bowlin Stadium.

That's it for now. I'll try to keep posting pics from time to time.

• Fire 1

Stadium expansion, expansion to ball park, new arena, and devaney revamp.

Wth are we going to spend our money on after that? The current undertaking at UNL with athletics + innovation campus is mind boggling.

I don't know maybe use it toward the academic side of UNL so they don't have to raise the tuition every year.

Wth are we going to spend our money on after that? The current undertaking at UNL with athletics + innovation campus is mind boggling.

I don't know maybe use it toward the academic side of UNL so they don't have to raise the tuition every year.

See bolded portion of post YOU quoted. Also, CIC membership will help with the academic side.

Conversely, higher tuition is associated with better universities. We are members of the B1G now and the aforementioned CIC. I would be surprised to see tuition stay stagnant now regarding this development. I don't have time now, but I would like to see the average tuition of B1G schools and how NU ranks. I would guess we are no where near the top of that list.

Remember this is without the increase in revenue from the BTN. Once we effectively double our take from TV revenue, the sky is going to be the limit. We are already one of the tops in the BTN with athletic facilities, once that TV money starts rolling there should be no reason for us to not to have the premier athletic facilities in the conference maybe in the nation.

Does anyone happen to know how many rows up the south stadium goes?

98 rows. I used to run them back in the 90s when you could just walk into the stadium any time.

Thanks. That sounds like death

It wasn't bad when I was 20-25 and I could go up, down and back up again without stopping. Last year at Fan Day I tried again and about keeled over at Row 65 or something.

See bolded portion of post YOU quoted. Also, CIC membership will help with the academic side.

Conversely, higher tuition is associated with better universities. We are members of the B1G now and the aforementioned CIC. I would be surprised to see tuition stay stagnant now regarding this development. I don't have time now, but I would like to see the average tuition of B1G schools and how NU ranks. I would guess we are no where near the top of that list.

Didn't read that part. I have selective reading.

Walked by the stadium today and took some pics with my phone of the east side construction if anyone likes to see dirt.

th_199786922_2011_07_29_18_34_36_643_122_359lo.jpg th_997889804_2011_07_29_18_34_41_842_122_570lo.jpg th_997911685_2011_07_29_18_34_46_872_122_807lo.jpg

th_997930336_2011_07_29_18_35_11_10_122_1166lo.jpg th_997948112_2011_07_29_18_35_15_319_122_254lo.jpg th_997967144_2011_07_29_18_35_18_759_122_1163lo.jpg

Little bit concerning that this is where it's at with about a month to go. Could be a real mess. Anyway I hope this is the last season of doing the stupid tip toeing around trying to get through the ramps and walkways on the east side...there's one Husker tradition that will not be missed.

• Fire 1