Stadium Expansion

I don't know if this is old news or not, too, but they knocked down the old oak and pine trees on the east side of the stadium this week. All the students will come back from Spring Break to a very different-looking East stadium plaza.

I grabbed a couple of pine branches as I walked by. Not sure what I'll do with them, but it's interesting to have. Got a ton of sap on my hand carrying it back to the office, but I smelled so fresh.

Ha, you probably weren't aiming for humor with this post but it gave me a lil chuckle. Probably because I could see myself doing the exact same thing. It wouldn't matter if I had no immediate need for a stack of random branches, no good place to store them, and no plans for using them in the future. Yet sentimentality alone would probably cause me to gather up a whole **** worth of sappy twigs to cart off to the house...........

...........Why are we humans so weird!?! :hmmph

• Fire 1

I don't know if this is old news or not, too, but they knocked down the old oak and pine trees on the east side of the stadium this week. All the students will come back from Spring Break to a very different-looking East stadium plaza.

I grabbed a couple of pine branches as I walked by. Not sure what I'll do with them, but it's interesting to have. Got a ton of sap on my hand carrying it back to the office, but I smelled so fresh.

I'll have to run down there after class on Monday to check it out

Ha, you probably weren't aiming for humor with this post but it gave me a lil chuckle. Probably because I could see myself doing the exact same thing. It wouldn't matter if I had no immediate need for a stack of random branches, no good place to store them, and no plans for using them in the future. Yet sentimentality alone would probably cause me to gather up a whole **** worth of sappy twigs to cart off to the house...........

...........Why are we humans so weird!?! :hmmph

:lol:

Stranger still...most people think they're totally rational and sane. I know the truth though. Hence the medication.

I wish that they would come out with a full out design mockup and video like they did with the North stadium, let people know what their donations are being put into.

I agree....I'm very eager to see what it will look like

Maybe they haven't completely finished the new designs? I want to see this too!

I wish that they would come out with a full out design mockup and video like they did with the North stadium, let people know what their donations are being put into.

I agree....I'm very eager to see what it will look like

Maybe they haven't completely finished the new designs? I want to see this too!

Last year they waited until the spring game to release the video of what the new Academic center was going to look like. I am guessing they will reveal some images at the spring game this year but they might hold off as long as next year or the year after to release the full designs... it's a good way to get people pumped up as they see it go up.

I met one of the lead designers at a function here in KC a month ago or so and we talked a bit about it. I guess UNL took the biggest, baddest, most expensive option they laid out for them and wanted more. According to this guy, it's going to be a few steps above top notch! I was pretty excited to hear it!

I met one of the lead designers at a function here in KC a month ago or so and we talked a bit about it. I guess UNL took the biggest, baddest, most expensive option they laid out for them and wanted more. According to this guy, it's going to be a few steps above top notch! I was pretty excited to hear it!

I would be too. Can you imagine that guy's pocket books after this expansion? It's a good sized project. $63 million, if his firm gets a tenth of that as profit they're banking.

Anyone know if this is the same crew that is building the new Basketball practice facility and the new arena? Cause if it is, I want a job with this company.

• 1 month later...

Some updates on expansion:

Just walked by the stadium at lunch today after a week of being sick. They've got the grounds east of the stadium entirely walled off with construction fencing. They've removed both flag poles, and I'm assured they'll reuse them and not get new ones. I like that - the more stuff we can reuse the better.

The one thing that really bothers me is what they've done to the Husker Legacy statue. They had to move it during construction, and that's no big deal, but for some reason they cut a BUNCH of holes in the base of the statue. I don't know if that was necessary to move it to its temporary location during construction or why they did this, but they really, really botched the job. The cuts are ragged, they overshot on each corner and basically just butchered the thing.

Maybe they're going to put in a new base that includes all of our national title years so the old base is going away anyway, but whatever their reasons, right now it looks terrible.

Just walked by the stadium at lunch today after a week of being sick. They've got the grounds east of the stadium entirely walled off with construction fencing. They've removed both flag poles, and I'm assured they'll reuse them and not get new ones. I like that - the more stuff we can reuse the better.

The one thing that really bothers me is what they've done to the Husker Legacy statue. They had to move it during construction, and that's no big deal, but for some reason they cut a BUNCH of holes in the base of the statue. I don't know if that was necessary to move it to its temporary location during construction or why they did this, but they really, really botched the job. The cuts are ragged, they overshot on each corner and basically just butchered the thing.

Maybe they're going to put in a new base that includes all of our national title years so the old base is going away anyway, but whatever their reasons, right now it looks terrible.

Number 1 rule in construction: "You can't clean up without making a mess first"

I'm sure it will be okay, I doubt the University would let any rumdum move the statues.

Number 1 rule in construction: "You can't clean up without making a mess first"

I'm sure it will be okay, I doubt the University would let any rumdum move the statues.

I'm sure the statue will get a nice new base. Probably a little bit more pimped out one. I think if I remember correctly it will be in a different spot too, correct? I'm just trying to remember from the renderings. I'm thinking I remember it going to be in a dome type entrance isn't it??

Edit: Found the rendering I was thinking of. Def looks like going to get new base!!

4da64724012ad.image.jpg