Stadium Expansion

Stopped by the stadium again this AM to check on progress. They're getting the stepped entry to the NE corner into shape these days, but most of the progress is groundwork/pylons/foundation stuff, so it's tough to see much in pics.

Here's the latest from the NE corner of the stadium, hot off the presses:

ne_entrance_.jpg

View from the observation deck immediately west of the Coliseum.

ne_entrance__2.jpg

View from across Ed Weir Track by the scoreboard.

ne_entrance__3.jpg

Same view, zoomed out.

I've been meaning to talk about this for a few weeks now but keep forgetting. This morning I actually remembered and took pics of our new observation towers on the practice fields. This is Nebraska's answer to the scissor-lift tragedy last year in South Bend:

observationtowers_.jpg

East Observation Tower

observationtowers__2.jpg

South Observation Tower

There are four towers, one on each side of the double practice field.

In other news, the sealing project is pretty much done on the West Stadium. They've got the bench seats put back and the seal is completely done, and when I last checked a couple days ago they had about half the steps repainted Husker red. I'll get some pics put up this weekend if I can get over there.

The roundabouts NW of the stadium have opened. They're about as confusingly marked as you'd expect. I will try to post pics of the signs and approaches soon, as well as updated pics of the Hendricks Center and the baseball/softball practice facility, both of which are very nearly done, at least externally.

• Fire 3

The roundabouts NW of the stadium have opened. They're about as confusingly marked as you'd expect. I will try to post pics of the signs and approaches soon, as well as updated pics of the Hendricks Center and the baseball/softball practice facility, both of which are very nearly done, at least externally.

This roundabout is pretty confusing the first time you approach it. I've got it figured out, but while walking over the 10th street foot bridge theh other day, I watched 3 cars screw it up in a span of 2 minutes. I expect that it will cause accidents, and could really be troublesome on gameday.

This roundabout is pretty confusing the first time you approach it. I've got it figured out, but while walking over the 10th street foot bridge theh other day, I watched 3 cars screw it up in a span of 2 minutes. I expect that it will cause accidents, and could really be troublesome on gameday.

Without question. They've just made that area the #1 place to avoid on gamedays. And it's not so much that roundabouts are so confusing, it's that people are bad drivers. I don't have a jump shot and I can't dribble, so I don't play basketball. No skill = no play. But unskilled drivers get behind the wheel every single day, and most think they are actually good at what they're doing.

Something entirely new to these unskilled drivers, like a roundabout, will only exacerbate the problem.

Without question. They've just made that area the #1 place to avoid on gamedays. And it's not so much that roundabouts are so confusing, it's that people are bad drivers. I don't have a jump shot and I can't dribble, so I don't play basketball. No skill = no play. But unskilled drivers get behind the wheel every single day, and most think they are actually good at what they're doing.

Something entirely new to these unskilled drivers, like a roundabout, will only exacerbate the problem.

I don't see why this city is so in love with roundabouts anyway. I just hope the one they are planning on putting in at 14th and Superior is voted down.

I don't see why this city is so in love with roundabouts anyway. I just hope the one they are planning on putting in at 14th and Superior is voted down.

I have bad news for you...

Knapplc I use to like you lol. With 14th street as is my commute to and from work is 10 minutes. During the school it's 45 cause of traffic and people blocking driveways instead of being nice and letter others out when traffic isn't moving. With it going to 2 lane and roundabout i'd be better off walking to work.

I have bad news for you...

What on earth... WHY??????

edit: From article: "Currently, cars are often backed up along 14th Street north of the Superior intersection for a half-mile or more during the morning rush hour, according to Figard."

Couldn't you just change the traffic light timing and save a few million dollars? Whatever, I'm not a civil engineer.

edit: From article: "Currently, cars are often backed up along 14th Street north of the Superior intersection for a half-mile or more during the morning rush hour, according to Figard."

Couldn't you just change the traffic light timing and save a few million dollars? Whatever, I'm not a civil engineer.

I had the exact same reaction. 14th & Superior gets so much out-of-town traffic from 6 county and 16 county that already doesn't know how to drive. I cannot imagine the carnage this roundabout will produce, and if there's no carnage it'll be because traffic has slowed to an absolute crawl, making the backup problems that much worse.

Rush hour traffic in Nebraska? Seriously

I know it's hard to believe when you're used to real traffic on the coast, but the reality is that Lincoln's streets are too small for the volume of cars, so you get "traffic."

I lived in San Francisco so I know what real traffic is. What we have in Lincoln is not real traffic. But it's backups of blocks and blocks of cars at intersections because the streets just don't have enough lanes to move the cars along. It's more annoying than anything else.

I had the exact same reaction. 14th & Superior gets so much out-of-town traffic from 6 county and 16 county that already doesn't know how to drive. I cannot imagine the carnage this roundabout will produce, and if there's no carnage it'll be because traffic has slowed to an absolute crawl, making the backup problems that much worse.

The day that roundabout opens Im gonna down there and sit on the corner and watch the rearend collisons and side swipes. Laughing the whole time.

Good pix's Knapp.