Stadium Expansion

Exactly! Some of these schools that tear down stadiums or sections of stadiums have alternative places nearby where they can play. Nebraska gots nuthin. Washington can play in the seahawks stadium, TCU could play at Cowboys stadium or one of the other college stadiums in DFW (UNT, SMU, Cotton Bowl).

Nebraska can't tear their stadium down cause they have nowhere else they can play. The closest stadium would be 3 1/2 hrs away. We have a large concrete structure in the south endzone that could easily hold as many as 20,000-30,000 of our total crowd. You can't deny season ticket holders or ticket owners their seats for a whole season... we'd lose out on way to much money and make a lot of loyal fans very mad.

The other thing... it doesn't matter if we expand our stadium to hold 120,000.... everyone in the history of football keeps building bigger and bigger. 110-120,000 would just put us in the top 5 for today's stadiums. What happens when LSU's expansion is done and A&M's expansion is done and then Penn State or Michican or Ohio State adds on again... then we're right back where we were. It's hard for NU to keep up with the jones's.... we don't have the money or student population that some of these other schools have. We don't have the state population to fill 130,000 every game like some of these other schools do.

The website above for the new basketball arena states that there are dedicated training and support facilities being buit there for Mens and Womens basketball.

Um. didn't we just build a whole new multimillion dollar training and support center for those at Hendricks? I get building home/visitor locker areas and maybe a small medical suite.. but full facilities?

The website above for the new basketball arena states that there are dedicated training and support facilities being buit there for Mens and Womens basketball.

Um. didn't we just build a whole new multimillion dollar training and support center for those at Hendricks? I get building home/visitor locker areas and maybe a small medical suite.. but full facilities?

Some of these show initial plans or various incarnations if you will. The arena evolved to just basically a stand alone arena but at one point included a practice facility (prior to the Hendricks Practice Center) and convention center and hotel space. Obviously with the Hendricks facility there will be no attached practice center to the arena and also there will be no attached hotel/convention center.

The top section of seating has been about halfway framed and is really taking shape. The catwalk thing between Manter and Hamilton up on the 4th floor is a really great place to view it. I'll try and get a picture but I'd need a camera with better zoom than my iphone to get anything meaningful. The new seating looks just epic.

The top section of seating has been about halfway framed and is really taking shape. The catwalk thing between Manter and Hamilton up on the 4th floor is a really great place to view it. I'll try and get a picture but I'd need a camera with better zoom than my iphone to get anything meaningful. The new seating looks just epic.

Your sig line cracks me up. Anyone reaching the Sandhills from Omaha in an hour is hauling some serious ass.

Replacing the turf is an interesting thing to think about that hasn't really been brought up - I think I remembered reading that it had a shelf life of 6-8 years, which is pretty much up. You can tell it's starting to fade and become pretty average, I'd like to see them replace it with the exact same design, and paint those B1G logos on there a little bit thicker, look like they need some more layers.

Replacing the turf is an interesting thing to think about that hasn't really been brought up - I think I remembered reading that it had a shelf life of 6-8 years, which is pretty much up. You can tell it's starting to fade and become pretty average, I'd like to see them replace it with the exact same design, and paint those B1G logos on there a little bit thicker, look like they need some more layers.

Very true. This has to be planned very soon. We've played 7 seasons on this rug now. I was the same thing recently that the time has to be coming to replace it. But I know that Hastings College just replaced their's prior to last season, it had 11 seasons on it and if I'm not mistaken that facility hosts a lot more events than memorial probably does.

Definitely true, they play men's and women's soccer games on it, and I spoke to a few football friends of mine and they said the turf was crap for the last couple of years.