The Official Say Something Nice About the Longhorns Thread

ADS

They have the letter "X" in their name. I always thought that "X" is a cool letter. Except that is more of a testament to the state, and not the school. Hmmmm. This is tough.

I like the play call back in the 1996 Big 12 Championship game. That took balls. I will give them credit for that.

Austin is truly a beautiful city. I lived there for over 20 years and wish I was still living there. Most of the citizens are very warm and friendly, there is a lot to do, some great golf courses, although UT is trying to destroy one of the more historic ones in Lions Municipal. Very attractive females abound, like nothing you have ever seen, unless you have been to Southern Cali.

I just have a hard time saying positive things about their fans. Bandwagon comes to mind. I used to get free tickets to both football and basketball games whenever I wanted. Just asked my manager at Thundercloud Subs and they were in my hands the next day, up to 6 at a time. This was all throughout the 90s. I'm pretty sure they have become harder to obtain, these days. Until they go to 3-3 and then I bet it will be pretty easy to score a ticket.

The University itself is...well I hate to say beautiful again, but it is. The campus is awesome and the west campus area is really cool. The Drag was really neat, but it has become a haven for corporate food and clothing chains. The Hole-in-the Wall bar is crusty in a good way. I think Quackenbushes closed, so that is a bummer.

Rent the movie Slacker, it shows what Austin was like 20 years ago. Richard Linklater's first movie. Interesting people, all kinds of viewpoints, actual discourse on topics, not just shoutdowns. Some friends and I used to ride our bicycles all around the city in 10 to 20 people packs. We all rode one speed 24" or 20" BMX bikes. We did some scenes for the film but ended up on cutting room floor for the most part. I think there is a 4 second shot of my friend bunnyhopping a transients legs while he was passed out on some church steps. Not sure though, it's been awhile since I've seen the movie.

I still think this will be a beatdown of epic proportions. I'm really looking forward to that.

• Fire 1